Author Topic: ACT BUS Updates  (Read 39856 times)

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
Re: ACT BUS Updates
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2014, 07:42:35 PM »
Advertisement
Apologies for the downtime over the last few days - we hit our traffic limit for the month on the 28th and so the website wasn't able to be accessed until the start of the new month (Today).

There were more images (and with higher file sizes) added to the Gallery last month, and the Wiki was reloaded with the newest software, which was no doubt what pushed us over the line. I'm hopeful it won't happen again this month.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »
We're coming close to our bandwidth limit again guys. If you get a white screen with an error between now and 1 July, that's the reason.

While increased traffic has played a part, I think I have identified another back-end issue that is being a bit of a data hog, and have a workaround in mind.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:07:47 PM by Buzz Killington »

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »
Sorry for the downtime at the end of the month again. I think we were down over the weekend and on Monday.

I've put a few things in place to hopefully cut back on our resource usage. These won't have any impact on your usage of the site as they affect back-end processes.

Iif things don't improve our next move is to reduce the size of the Gallery. This would be achieved by identifying individual photos that have a larger than necessary size (such as a 2MB photo when a scaled down version looks just as good), and removing the photos that 'aren't that good'.

I'll post again later in the month to let you know how things are looking.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »
My apologies for the significant amount of July that the website was displaying the 'bandwidth exceeded' message.

We're having some back-end issues with one part of the site. I strongly suspect it's the Gallery, which we have taken offline for the moment to investigate the issue. The site will continue to have the Gallery, but there's a good chance we will be replacing the software it runs on with something a little more reliable.

I'll keep you updated, and if you're not following us on Twitter or Facebook, I strongly encourage you to do so (the links are up the very top of the page above the ACT Bus Forum logo) as these are the ways we will communicate with you in situations such as the 'Bandwidth Exceeded' one.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »
So, false alarm on the Gallery front. The problem was actually in the Wiki. I've updated the software and problem solved. All parts of the site are now functioning as normal and we can get back to adding content :)

Offline smitho

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2014, 10:58:05 PM »
Thanks to Buzz and team for persevering and finding the cause of the problem!

Offline Busnerd

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
Found out last night that Bus Australia had a problem with it's wiki too causing the site to not be available, possibly exceeding bandwidth also, they have since shut their wiki down permanently i'm lead to believe.

Offline smitho

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »
I couldn't get in to ACT Bus on Sunday night, but I suspect that was caused by a TransACT problem....some other sites were troublesome also.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »
I get email alerts whenever the site goes offline for any reason, and didn't receive any on Sunday evening.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 09:51:26 PM »
Some improvements for mobile users - the wiki and forum now autodetect mobile devices and switch to a mobile-friendly theme.

The forum version is currently on trial, and I'd appreciate any feedback on how you find it.

This now means that the website, forum and wiki have mobile versions. The Gallery will not have a mobile version at this time due to conflicts with the tagging functionality. You can also access our forum via the Tapatalk app, which can be downloaded free of charge from your app store.

Offline Bus 503

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2015, 06:55:40 PM »
Feedback: maybe a 'last post' section at the end of the topic bar? :D

Offline King of Buses

• Contributor
  • Gallifrey Falls No More!
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2015, 08:42:16 PM »
Feedback: maybe a 'last post' section at the end of the topic bar? :D

Seconded. Or at least the green bus symbol showing if there are unread posts since last visit.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2015, 08:45:05 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll see what can be done. I'm not too sold on the mobile forum skin so if people prefer the standard version I'm happy to revert to that.

Offline Bus 503

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2015, 06:04:24 AM »
Is it just my iPad or is the forum part on the home page of ACT bus not showing?

Offline King of Buses

• Contributor
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll see what can be done. I'm not too sold on the mobile forum skin so if people prefer the standard version I'm happy to revert to that.

I'm in favour of reverting to the standard version. I'm not sure about everyone else though...

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2015, 11:07:43 AM »
Is it just my iPad or is the forum part on the home page of ACT bus not showing?

Not just you - thanks for pointing it out. I'll take a look over the weekend and see if I can fix it.

Edit: Seems to be an issue on the forum side - the feed that populates that box on the website is not functioning. I've removed the box from the website homepage for now until I can fix it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:09:32 PM by Buzz Killington »

Offline Bus 503

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2015, 07:42:56 PM »
I'm in favour of reverting to the standard version. I'm not sure about everyone else though...

Yep, also in favour - it gets annoying changing from the mobile to the standard version all the time!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:16:32 AM by Bus 503 »

Offline Bus 503

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2015, 08:14:27 PM »
Recently, I've noticed a new member roaming through the threads of the forum.
His name is ACT Bus forum and rather likes advertising on everywhere he posts.  >:D

Is this just an error on my iPad or is everyone else having this 'advertising member' showing up on random threads?

(Sorry for being picky and finding errors that don't really make a problem)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:18:12 PM by Bus 503 »

Offline King of Buses

• Contributor
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2015, 09:06:05 PM »
Is this just an error on my iPad or is everyone else having this 'advertising member' showing up on random threads?

I've noticed this too...it isn't a member though, it is like an add on to some moderator posts as the ad post, and the post above, share the same reply number...

But only in some threads sometimes  ???

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »
im just trialling ads in threads. They'll show up after a certain number of posts have been made in a thread. They display similarly to a normal post, attributed to the forum

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2015, 05:58:35 PM »
Apologies for the downtime today, and the generic error message. Both of these have been sorted.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »
A couple of minor changes - spotting threads (AOA, what bus did you get?) have now been shifted over to the Games section.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2015, 08:28:55 PM »
Apologies for the downtime on the forum lately. Not too sure exactly what's causing it, but I'm looking into it.

If you do come across the error message during a weekday, the forum will generally come back online that evening. 

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
Apologies for the forum downtime (and the ever informative white screen of death) over the last day or so. Let me know if you encounter any issues while using the forum.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:17:11 PM by Buzz Killington »

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »
Tapatalk and the forum software have been updated to the latest versions.