Yutong E12 trial (490)

Started by Barry Drive, November 11, 2019, 10:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

TC have just announced that a Yutong E12 will enter service next month for a 12 month trial.

Another Yutong is currently in Sydney with Transit Systems after previously being with Premier in Nowra.

While it's currently white, it will be wrapped prior to entering service.

Fleet number not yet revealed.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I'll be sure to keep an eye out behind the depots fences to get some early access photos for you now that ANU is finished for the year.

Busnerd

Sylvan Loves Buses

Damn, and I thought the roof of the BYD's looked weird.

Bus 503

Anyone else think that it would look nice in the green/orange livery?
Also, anyone know what the yellow buttons do next to the doors? Are they similar to the door opening buttons on the trams?

Barry Drive

We'll know for sure when it comes into service, but it's likely those are the emergency door release buttons.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on November 16, 2019, 09:10:09 AMAnyone else think that it would look nice in the green/orange livery?

Sure, I couldn't stand it if any more boring colours entered the fleet...

So I went around Tuggeranong Depot yesterday to see if I could find the new bus. I almost gave up on hope when I went all the way around, but I found it hiding between the others in the same sneaky hiding spot as 710 once sat - was expecting it where I found the others.
Due to this I was unable to get actual good shots on my camera, but shown below are the only two points (carpark and lost property gate) that it is visible at the moment.
Still no word on my part of its number, but if it helps in any way for the information gathering, its NSW plate is MO6966.

Also in case anyone didn't know, 954 is now being used for parts :'(.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 503 on November 16, 2019, 09:10:09 AMAnyone else think that it would look nice in the green/orange livery?

I'm yet to see a bus that looks nice in the green/orange livery.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 11, 2019, 10:08:07 AMTC have just announced that a Yutong E12 will enter service next month for a 12 month trial.

From a 'few leaves blowing in the wind', next month might turn out to be January.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Still no fleet number that I could see, but at least it's not just a bland white now.

Busnerd

You must've gone too early as it has been registered on ACT Bus Plates now, with fleet number revealed, it's one we've seen before ;)

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yup, I took that photo at 8am yesterday. I have since been back 8am this morning to see plate BUS 490 recycled on it. I have an identical photo without cars in the way this time, but I'm posting this from the Civic Library so I can't upload it.

triumph

The Fleet Wiki notes that BUS490 was delivered on 8/11/2019 and annual lease charge is $122,000. It is not yet been reported in revenue service.
This raises the question of when is the lease 'flagfall'? If on or shortly after delivery then just over $20,000 has already been expended for no revenue/trial use!
Hopefully the lease actually runs from nearer when it enters service, but, to me, that would seem to be remarkably generous and thus unlikely.

Barry Drive

I've had a look, but can't find a contract for this bus. Additionally, assuming the lease payments are monthly, they fall below the $25000 threshold to be listed on the reportable payments register.

So basically, there's nothing public to say what is payable or has been paid.

All I can confirm is that 490 is not in service.

Barry Drive

Update: the contract details have now been posted.

It shows it as a 12 month lease from 10 Dec 2019 to 9 Dec 2020.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on February 12, 2020, 11:25:33 AMIt shows it as a 12 month lease from 10 Dec 2019 to 9 Dec 2020.

So, the lease is in effect thus any supplier issues have been resolved, it is registered and thus accepted as roadworthy, and TC already has experience and facilities in electric bus opeation, and yet it is not in service 2 months into the lease. Since it has actually been here 3 months, it seems unlikely that the hold up is bureaucratic, so could it be that there is an 'industrial' problem?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well I was told about a month ago it was not roadworthy, I would've expected by now that it would be, but nope, we're having a 711 repeat on our hands.

Barry Drive

In so far as drivers need to be trained first, there is an 'industrial' issue, but no more than for any other new bus model.

If there were genuine roadworthy issues, there may be remedies in the contract (I didn't read it thoroughly). In any case, Minister Steel released a video yesterday proclaiming that it is in service (even though it isn't), so it can't be too much longer.

triumph

Fleet wiki says 490 entered service 20th March this year.
Since then there appears to be no reported rides (not surprising in present circumstances) or sightings.
Is it out and about routinely now? Anyone seen it about?

King of Buses

Quote from: triumph on April 17, 2020, 10:54:27 PMIs it out and about routinely now? Anyone seen it about?

Yes. I see it most days. Has even ventured out on weekends a couple of times.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Huh? I thought it was still stuck in the depot due to a supposed Chinese part that was unable to be delivered, is this no longer the case (or was it ever)?

Bus 503

Quote from: triumph on April 17, 2020, 10:54:27 PMFleet wiki says 490 entered service 20th March this year.
Since then there appears to be no reported rides (not surprising in present circumstances) or sightings.
Is it out and about routinely now? Anyone seen it about?

You can actually search by fleet number on AnyTrip, which allows you to quickly see if a particular bus is currently running a trip.

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 19, 2020, 08:39:33 AMHuh? I thought it was still stuck in the depot due to a supposed Chinese part that was unable to be delivered, is this no longer the case (or was it ever)?

It may or may not have been awaiting a part beforehand, who knows, but it entered service on the 20th March and has been out most weekdays and a few times on the weekends too - and generally not just for one or two runs, but most of the day.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well I must be going out too early for it, or it's just not out on days I have been cause I have yet to see it.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 19, 2020, 11:28:40 PMit's just not out on days I have been

Sorry, I meant 'on days when I am'.

triumph

Have now had 2 rides on 490. First rte 66 Woden - Cooleman Court via Denman Prospect, and second rte R7 City West - Cooleman Court.

Like the previously trialled 2 all electric buses, the suspension/ride is disappointly harsh compared with other buses. I attribute that to the greater unsprung mass of the hub drives, but could well be also a suspension designed for very smooth pavements. Either way, the imperfections of Canberra's roads are brought into sharp focus.

Otherwise, it seemed like a normal bus except for no diesel noises and a subdued hum/whine (less intrusive than the previously trialled pair). One noticeable difference is the plethora of next stop call buttons. This is to be highly commended. At the back each row of seats across the aisle have buttons at the aisle and at the walls!

On the second trip I sat at the very rear, where it was obvious from the thumping and groaning that something was loose underneath.

No doubt these sort of maintenance issues and other technical operating factors and costs will be the focus of the current trial. What is disappointing though is that TC don't appear to have made any significant effort to seek customer feedback, yet customer satisfaction should be a major input of the trials.

Barry Drive

I've checked the contract register. No published variation for the lease of 490.

Which (for now) means it will finish service at the end of November.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 04, 2020, 10:46:33 AMI've checked the contract register. No published variation for the lease of 490.

Last spotted (and ridden) on Thurs 26/11/20. Late afternoon rte 59 from Woden followed by a rte 54.

Has anyone seen it in service since, particularly 1st Dec on?

triumph

Quote from: triumph on June 19, 2020, 11:14:43 PMHave now had 2 rides on 490. First rte 66 Woden - Cooleman Court via Denman Prospect, and second rte R7 City West - Cooleman Court.

Like the previously trialled 2 all electric buses, the suspension/ride is disappointly harsh compared with other buses. I attribute that to the greater unsprung mass of the hub drives, but could well be also a suspension designed for very smooth pavements. Either way, the imperfections of Canberra's roads are brought into sharp focus.

Had a third ride (rte 59 from Woden and seated mid bus) last Thursday with a cruise along one of Canberra's smoothest roads, Adelaide Avenue. Sadly the ride was still very harsh, to the point of being unpleasant. Whilst large bumps seem to be negotiated reasonably well, it is the small imperfections in the road that produce the harshness. (That Adelaide Avenue is not as smooth as we think, was highlighted by this bus over the whole length traversed.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on December 03, 2020, 12:50:42 AMHas anyone seen it in service since, particularly 1st Dec on?

Not sure about the 1st, but I do remember seeing it on anytrip a couple of days ago.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Mum just caught 490 for the first time today. She wasn't impressed, especially  not the large gap between the curb and the floor entering the rear.

Snorzac

That sounds like more of a driver issue than a bus issue to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 04, 2020, 10:46:33 AMI've checked the contract register. No published variation for the lease of 490.

Sylvan Loves Buses has reported 490 in use since the end of November, and I rode in it today on an R5 from City West to Lanyon. So it appears that the end of the lease has been adjusted to account for the actual date of entering service. Time will tell if it is to be a full year in service or something less.

I very much doubt, given the present international trade problems and the demonstrated ability to interrupt at will, that Transport Canberra/ACT Government now would risk a fleet order from this trial bus source.

Busnerd

I saw it yesterday on Canberra Avenue, presumably on an R2 or 56.

Barry Drive

I've checked again today: the contract register shows the lease contract as expired, despite being in service.

So that's not useful.

It might suggest they've purchased it, but that too should show on the contract register.

triumph

Quote from: Busnerd on December 15, 2020, 12:13:50 PMI saw it yesterday on Canberra Avenue, presumably on an R2 or 56.
The R5 ex City West I was on early afternoon, was preceded by 56.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on December 14, 2020, 11:37:27 PMSylvan Loves Buses has reported 490 in use since the end of November
Just Sylvan is fine.

Unless someone has spotted it today on a afternoon shift as I've usually seen it recently on morning shifts, I saw 490 sitting in the Depot on my way past early this morning.

triumph

490 continues in service. Seen at Plt 4 Gungahlin, early afternoon today.  Couldn't see route from my location.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well I haven't seen any sign of it myself since last year. I even looked around Tuggeranong Depot at 9pm last night to check and I couldn't find it. I don't ever recall it being out that late, so it must've been either at Belconnen or was very well hidden behind some gas buses.

Busnerd

I saw it heading north on the Federal Hwy at Watson on Friday morning.

Stan butler

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on January 09, 2021, 11:17:26 AMWell I haven't seen any sign of it myself since last year. I even looked around Tuggeranong Depot at 9pm last night to check and I couldn't find it. I don't ever recall it being out that late, so it must've been either at Belconnen or was very well hidden behind some gas buses.

It could have been "tucked up" inside the maintenance shed.  Just because you didn't see it in the open sheds doesn't mean it isn't there.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I could see into the workshop, all I saw was an assortment of green buses.
Besides, I checked on anytrip today, saw it on a couple of routes, so it certainly is still around.

Barry Drive

You can all stop looking. 490 is now definitely withdrawn from service.

It may be headed to Interline, Sydney as part of their new electric bus fleet, but that is yet to be confirmed.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Damn it, was really hoping to catch it one more time. :(

Barry Drive

Just go to Sydney in a few months. There'll be a few to choose from. As well as a BCI and possibly Custom Denning Elements.

Stan butler

This looks interesting.   Bustech making electric buses here in Australia.

https://www.apolloinstitute.com.au/australias-bustech-cuts-deal-to-build-electric-buses-with-proterra-battery-tech/?highlight=Bustech%20

Interesting site too - looking around, there is a writer on this site that some of us know.

Bus 400

Former Bus 490 recently spotted as a campaign bus for Federal Government Independent Member Zali Steggal.

Presumably no bus service provider has used this bus since Canberra.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdsN4kCPv9Y/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=