Westfield Woden

Started by Buzz Killington, September 30, 2009, 06:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

News today that Myer have signed on the line to open a store in Westfield Woden by 2013.

Interestingly, it's a two story, 12,000sqm store - but will be located inside the existing mall.

Sir Pompously

'Bye bye baby' to David Jones? However, if there is an extension in play for Woden and a redesign of the Interchange, Maybe David Jones may be moving out to a new area, with Myer then taking its place. The other option is opposite David Jones where all the clothing and other stores are, this way they could move to a newer section allowing myer to move into the freed up space. All speculation of course, but we will shortly see!

Bus 400

I can't see Myer Tuggeranong staying open too long once the Woden store opens, as The Tuggeranong store looks empty most of the time

Buzz Killington

Interestingly, Myer have confirmed that they will be moving into a new building at Woden. Just where that would be situated hasn't been revealed as yet.

There's a couple of surface carparks left they could build into - corner of Callam and Corinna and the one up near Coles. Or a redeveloped bus interchange?

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 17, 2011, 12:47:25 PM
Interestingly, Myer have confirmed that they will be moving into a new building at Woden. Just where that would be situated hasn't been revealed as yet.

There's a couple of surface carparks left they could build into - corner of Callam and Corinna and the one up near Coles. Or a redeveloped bus interchange?

From Andrew Barr MLA at the most recent actvcc on twitter:
QuoteWoden bus interchange improvements under active consideration right now.

So if ACT Government can get Westfield to cough up, perhaps the Taxi Rank/old Police Station/Interchange precinct is a likely site. Would be right next to David Jones though.

Busnerd

That's always been the plan. I heard people talking about that six years ago or more that westfield was going to extend out and absorb the interchange and the old police station apparently including a target in the new section...

smitho

Quote from: Busnerd on December 19, 2011, 01:38:30 PM
That's always been the plan. I heard people talking about that six years ago or more that westfield was going to extend out and absorb the interchange and the old police station apparently including a target in the new section...
You're right about the earlier plans to reconfigure Woden Interchange dating from around 2003-04.

These plans included a bus waiting lounge within the retail precinct similar in concept to what was later built at Westfield Beconnen (Mall), and an expanded retail area absorbing part of the current interchange site. However Woden Plaza was then being run by Lend Lease, not Westfield.

When Westfield took over the running of Woden Plaza in about 2004-05, the planned redevelopment of the Interchange and adjoining retail area was dropped.

Buzz Killington

Harvey Norman announced the closure of its Woden store today.

Busnerd

Finally! that store is so stupidly laid out...it has gone downhill since they removed the humerous square/spiral ramp that used to go from their store to BIG W which then became staff only

Bus 400

Those who thought Myer Woden might take residence in Bonner House may like to change their thought.
While walking back to my car through the top level of Bonner House. I noticed some day spa has been closed & has a for lease sign for another day spa. Also a sign at the bottom of the Harvies Woden escalators stated something about a new shop coming soon with no mention of who it was (I did last read the sign about a month ago).

Buzz Killington

Dick Smith at Woden is closing down on Sunday, according to the Canberra Times. Their Fyshwick store is also closing soon.

Decision on the other stores yet to be made.

Bus 400

Wouldn't it be funny is the Majura Park store was shut in the coming months?

Anyway, I've just read that article at http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/dick-smith-in-woden-fyshwick-to-close-20120412-1ww9v.html

Bus 400

A story is in "The Southside Chronicle" that Westfield is to purchase 7000sqm from ACT Government which will include Neptune Street Carpark & Bonner House. Also the Woden Interchange site will be redeveloped. Construction would start November 2013, with expected completion date of December 2014. It also says if the Government got on with funding, temporary facilities could be in by mid next year.

route56

I hope the westfield built woden interchange is better than the appalling cheap tin shed they built at Belconnen Westfield. 

Bus 400

Going by a picture that Woden Community Council tweeted, Westfield Woden Bus Station would have 9 platforms in a U shape. But also has a much shorter turn around circle then the original Woden Interchange.

EDIT- BELOW IS WHAT WAS RETWEETED:

Sir Pompously

Seeing as though it is only a concept design I think the turn around will be better suited to buses in the end product (Unless it is like the airport where they forget about buses and their turning circle). Also I hope they go for shelters that actually shelter you, unlike the ones seen in the concept drawing!

smitho

Downside of U-shaped designs compared with the current 'island and fingers' design' is that interchanging passengers tend to have to walk longer distances.

This is also the case with H-shaoed designs such as the Belco Community Station (where the horizontal stroke in the H is the pedestrian crossing). 

Barry Drive

From what I can work out, that illustration shows the corner of Callam and Bradley Streets (with the bus station on Bradley St). Neptune Street appears to have been closed entirely and Bonner House and the green multi storey car park re-developed.

The blank area in the bottom right corner would be the current bus station and old Police station.

Bus 400

Quote from: Buzz Killington on April 12, 2012, 08:54:09 PM
Dick Smith at Woden is closing down on Sunday, according to the Canberra Times. Their Fyshwick store is also closing soon.

Decision on the other stores yet to be made.

Looks like Trade Secret has moved into this store.

Bus 400

By the sounds of things, the Neptune Street carpark will be demolished to make way for the Westfield Woden upgrades. The upgrade is due for completion about 2015. Which is the same time period for the new bus station.

I wonder how the original part of Woden Plaza will be after all this work.

ajw373

Probably like a dogs breakfast. Not sure why but I have never really liked the way Woden Plaza has developed with parts all over the place.

Bus 400

Lincraft has opened in the old Harvey Norman store (http://www.lincraft.com.au/storelocator/store/detail/id/62/). So in their City store, you go down the escalators to get in. To get into the Woden store you go up the escalators.

Only those who have been in Lincraft Canberra City store would understand that.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 400 on June 14, 2012, 07:26:48 AM
Going by a picture that Woden Community Council tweeted, Westfield Woden Bus Station would have 9 platforms in a U shape. But also has a much shorter turn around circle then the original Woden Interchange.

EDIT- BELOW IS WHAT WAS RETWEETED:

Cannot find any other threads covering this, but a DA is out for the plans for Woden Interchange. Those plans look basically what is above, with a roadway going down what is currently the central platform area with the mall on one side, but turning right at the end on Bowes Street (as opposed to the U-turn as shown in the concept picture above) and going down past the Helinic club. There also appears to be platforms on Bowes Street parallel to the platforms next to the extended mall and a layover area on Bowes street around the corner.

http://203.9.249.2/e-registers/pubnote/pdf/PLAN-201323970-111_Concept_Master_Plan-02.pdf

Buzz Killington

There's some discussion here - http://www.actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=3702.msg35456#msg35456

But both threads are relevant, since the Plaza is expanding, and there's associated infrastructure works with the demolition of the interchange.

Buzz Killington

Dick Smith is opening a store, downstairs between Rebel Sport and the food court. I think it has taken over two or three stores, one of which was a Supre which moved a few stores along.

Bus 400

While Dick Smith will take over the small electrics section of David Jones just around the corner from October.

smitho

New Dick Smith shop in Woden Plaza is pretty small compared to the former shop, but welcome all the same.

Toyota Camry

Today, I visited the food court at Westfield Woden for lunch with a former colleague from my office, who is now working at the Department Health in Woden. I noticed that Westfield have commenced a renovation of the food court; the ceiling panels have been removed.

I am unaware if anything else is changing in the food court; it does not appear that any retailers are changing. Personally, I believe that Kingsleys Chicken, located upstairs near Woolworths, really should move downstairs into the food court; until some years ago, they actually did used to be located downstairs, and they should move back there.

Bus 400

As mentioned in the contracts thread for a new MyWay Recharge Agent at Westfield Woden.

Found out, a reason for this is Cafe Milligram ( http://www.planning.act.gov.au/development_applications/pubnote?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZhcHBzLmFjdHBsYS5hY3QuZ292LmF1JTJGcHVibm90ZSUyRnB1Ym5vdGVEZXRhaWxfbmV3LmFzcCUzRkRBX25vJTNEMjAxODM0MTQzJmFsbD0x) is proposed to open where the newsagent was. No idea if the newsagent has moved or closed all together.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Buzz Killington

Top News closed a while back. They had signs up to say they had merged with News Express, (the downstairs newsagency)

Toyota Camry

The toilets located between the food court and Rashays are now closed for renovations; there is a temporary toilet located outdoors on the street near the food court windows. It was out of order today; it may be available for usage tomorow.