Old ACTION bus interior stickers

Started by mikey1972, June 13, 2013, 11:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey1972

Hey guys - firstly to acknowledge the photo which Todd Milton uploaded to Flickr which I happen to come across one-day surfing the net.

It occurred to me that in restoring these buses at some point in time it would be handy to have a 'stock' of ready made stickers which could be printed as new stickers and virtually identical to the originals, and affixed to the interior of restored vehicles. Wonder if anyone else would be able to upload more photos of these stickers and let me see if I can re-create something which looks nearly identical to those originals?

Fiddling around with stuff I seem to have made a fairly good looking replica of the sticker which Todd Milton kindly uploaded.

smitho

One of the recently retired Renault artics (may have been 700 or 701) was still carrrying what were once a common sticker on all ACTION buses....the no smoking symbol on each window, bottom centre as I recall.

Am not aware of any ACTION buses still in service which retain these stickers.

mikey1972

Yes I remember those from when I was younger. If you get a chance, take some photos and upload them so we can preserve these old stickers.

smitho

The other redundant sticker (which can still be seen on some Belco Depot buses) is the Centre door stickers advising passengers that those doors only open at Interchanges...replaced by yellow NO ENTRY stickers.

King of Buses

Quote from: smitho on June 13, 2013, 11:16:45 PM
One of the recently retired Renault artics (may have been 700 or 701) was still carrrying what were once a common sticker on all ACTION buses....the no smoking symbol on each window, bottom centre as I recall.

Am not aware of any ACTION buses still in service which retain these stickers.

700 and 704 had this. Not any still in service (I think).

smitho

Another redundant one you can keep an eye out for is the list of ACTION Lost Property Offices....usually stuck on the bulkhead at the back of the driver's cab.

Buzz Killington

Great idea Mikey and I'm sure we can help. I will add a new album to our Gallery to store these images.

Quote from: smitho on June 13, 2013, 11:24:32 PM
The other redundant sticker (which can still be seen on some Belco Depot buses) is the Centre door stickers advising passengers that those doors only open at Interchanges...replaced by yellow NO ENTRY stickers.

I'm not sure, but I think the "these doors open only when the bus is completely stationary" stickers may be being replaced too. Not sure yet, will need to confirm.

smitho

Saw Tuggy Workshop staff removing old centre door stickers and affixing NO ENTRY stickers to Renault artic doors yesterday.

(Tuggy artics didn't receive the new stickers at the time that the rest of the Tuggy fleet was done).

Lachie

Ill Look For Some Of The Stickers On Monday Afternoon. I Normally Get A 100.3 So I Might Find Some  :D

Bus 400

While it might be slightly off topic, another sticker/writing that will disappear this year (after being on ACTION Buses for god knows how many years), will be the "ACTION Intertown" logo.

Buzz Killington

mikey1972

Great stuff guys - looks like those stickers were taken from the inside of an old Leyland National? If my memory serves me right - the old farebox sticker (which is ripped at the top) used to say "Exact Fare Helps".

Keep them coming - I'll see what I can do in re-creating those!!

Lachie

This Aftternoon I Got A 100.2 Mk 2
Not that many stickers just the no entry on back doors outside and on the inside of the back doors was

CAUTION
Door Opens Inward

I Think

smitho

Easy to overlook the little old stickers which state that "Children are required to give up their seats if adults are standing"...(blue upper case print on white background).

Bus 400

Especially since that is no longer an ACTION policy & last I read, these stickers were being removed.

Buzz Killington

Yep. Not a huge effort being made to remove them - most seem to have the children bit torn off.

smitho

I recall a wall notice in the old Bay trams in Adelaide, warning people not to expectorate, and the fine for doing so (two pounds!).

I used to think that People most likely to expectorate on a tram were probably the people least likely to know what the word meant!

(expectorate = spit).

Busnerd

Good work there mikey1972, I would only suggest that perhaps you could use the 'dropper' on the ACTION logo and then make the words either side of it the same colour. I'm aware they were once white, but if you can't find a better quality logo then just make the words either side the same colour so it doesn't look out of place.

Todd and myself have been making stickers lately for the 675 restoration as well, with logos it works better if you have a higher quality image which can be hard to come by. I will be looking at getting the "no burgers/no milkshakes" sign remade however it would be a scan of the sticker out of the bus so time will tell how well it turns out.

mikey1972

Thanks for the message, and apologies for such a late reply!

I FINALLY got around to figuring out how to fix the "thanks for riding" sticker.

It would be really great if anyone has access to any old cabin stickers - even if they are incomplete - if you could post a really high resolution image to see whether its possible to try to re-create old stickers.

I've included the fixed up "thanks for riding" sticker here. Hope its of some use? I think it looks reasonably authentic.

I have recently come across some other cabin stickers in pristine condition from circa mid 1980s. I'll try to dig those out soon and will post them here too.

I will see if I can clean up the other images you've got so they could be printed up in a way that they look 'new'.

mikey1972

Hope you like this cleaned up and fixed version... took a while but from how I remember them when they were in buses (circa mid 80s-90s) - I think the colour is a bit more accurate.