Five New Trams

Started by triumph, May 26, 2024, 12:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

triumph

About August 2022 5 new LRVs equipped for partial wire free operation were ordered from CAF in Spain. The intent is to bolster the fleet for the opening of Stage 2A to Commonwealth Park and provide substitutes to enable existing LRVs to be progressively removed from service for retrofitting of partial wire free operating equipment. It is not clear to me whether the energy storage will be by supercapacitors (a la Newcastle) or batteries or a combination thereof. When these initial RVs were obtained it was said they were equipped for, not with, future wire free use needs. 

Little seems to have ben said on progress, but the whisper is that all are constructed, with one shipped and the rest in factory testing prior to shipment.

Bus 400

It's something I've been on the look out for. Especially with the new NSW Trainlink trains being built & shipped from the factory. I'm not sure how many vehicles on rails a ship can transport.

Stage 2A light rail is wire free though & is due in a couple of years. 

Busnerd

I have heard from someone that they only ever send 1 or 2 trams at a time on ships for insurance reasons, i.e. in case the ship has a fire or sinks for any reason, the insurance would need to cover the total cost of the LRV's, which if an incident happened with all 5 on board it would be a massive cost, not including all the other items on the ship too. If that is the case, not to mention the way a production line works we can expect to receive only 1 or 2 at a time.

triumph

Quote from: Busnerd on May 28, 2024, 10:47:42 AMI have heard from someone that they only ever send 1 or 2 trams at a time on ships for insurance reasons, i.e. in case the ship has a fire or sinks for any reason, the insurance would need to cover the total cost of the LRV's, which if an incident happened with all 5 on board it would be a massive cost, not including all the other items on the ship too. If that is the case, not to mention the way a production line works we can expect to receive only 1 or 2 at a time.
I did say that only one had been shipped. So only one for first arrival, possibly late June but probably in July.

L94UBbusfan

A few questions. How does the "wire free" system on the new trams work? Is it like Newcastle's or is it different? Will the trams be identical to the current trams in service or will they be slightly different? Also why would they order the new trams so early before stage 2A is complete?

Barry Drive

#5
Quote from: L94UBbusfan on May 28, 2024, 07:16:48 PMAlso why would they order the new trams so early before stage 2A is complete?

https://www.cmtedd.act.gov.au/open_government/inform/act_government_media_releases/chris-steel-mla-media-releases/2022/vehicle-contract-signed-as-canberra-light-rail-stage-2a-gets-the-green-light

Or you could actually read what's already been said above:
Quote from: triumph on May 26, 2024, 12:10:17 AMAbout August 2022 5 new LRVs equipped for partial wire free operation were ordered from CAF in Spain. The intent is to bolster the fleet for the opening of Stage 2A to Commonwealth Park and provide substitutes to enable existing LRVs to be progressively removed from service for retrofitting of partial wire free operating equipment.

Busnerd

They will have batteries added to the roof so whilst they will look like the Newcastle ones, they won't charge at the stops like their system, they will use the current network (Gungahlin to Alinga Street) to charge the batteries for the wire free section.

The new ones are essentially the same but as expected with all things there will be minor changes to the new ones, likely from 'lessons learned' from the first stage, but expect these to be minor differences like placement of items etc. I have heard these may have more hopper windows but unsure if they will allow passengers to open these or not (Current ones are usually locked).

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on May 28, 2024, 06:22:34 PMI did say that only one had been shipped. So only one for first arrival, possibly late June but probably in July.
If this is the case, Tram 015 will be on one of these three ships:
• Höegh Trigger - due to arrive at Port Kembla 4 June
• Höegh Target - due to arrive at Port Kembla 19 June
• Höegh London - due to arrive at Port Kembla 30 June

After that, the next available ship is Höegh Trotter which departs Santander 11 June and arrives Port Kembla 20 July.

Bus 400

#8
Quote from: Barry Drive on May 30, 2024, 11:34:24 AMIf this is the case, Tram 015 will be on one of these three ships:
• Höegh Trigger - due to arrive at Port Kembla 4 June
• Höegh Target - due to arrive at Port Kembla 19 June
• Höegh London - due to arrive at Port Kembla 30 June

After that, the next available ship is Höegh Trotter which departs Santander 11 June and arrives Port Kembla 20 July.


Minister for Making Announcements Chris announced first set is on Höegh London.
With a photo of Set 16.

triumph

#9
Quote from: Barry Drive on May 30, 2024, 11:34:24 AMIf this is the case, Tram 015 will be on one of these three ships:
• Höegh Trigger - due to arrive at Port Kembla 4 June
• Höegh Target - due to arrive at Port Kembla 19 June
• Höegh London - due to arrive at Port Kembla 30 June

After that, the next available ship is Höegh Trotter which departs Santander 11 June and arrives Port Kembla 20 July.

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 30, 2024, 06:48:31 PMMinister for Making Announcements Chris announced first set is on Höegh London.
With a photo of Set 16.

Something seems to have seriously interrupted Höegh London progress. It arrived Durban, South Africa on 17th June and 3 weeks later is still there!. Prior to that it was at Port Elizabeth, South Africa for 10 days!
Such long port stays seem extraordinary compared with the usual day or so.

Bus 400

By the looks of things there has been delays in Durban for most of 2024.

With higher delays recently according to https://www.gocomet.com/real-time-port-congestion/south-africa

triumph

Umm. Hoegh Trotter overtook Hoegh London at Durban with a Port stay of 2 days 5 hours. Trotter is now about halfway across the Indian Ocean to Fremantle.

Hoegh Berlin is due Port Kembla on Friday.

Sites where I looked mostly hide data behind paywalls or simply don't respond to query procedures. Thus I have not been able to confirm that Trotter called at Santander, and if berlin called at either Santander or Durban. That said I wonder if either is carrying one of the new Light Rail vehicles?

Barry Drive

#12
As I mentioned earlier, Höegh Trotter is the next ship - due at Port Kembla 20 July.

Quote from: triumph on July 09, 2024, 08:29:59 PM... Berlin called at either Santander or Durban.
Since you asked, no, Höegh Berlin did not travel to Spain or South Africa. Its route was Southampton then across to USA, through the Panama Canal (presumably) then Auckland and Melbourne.

Following Trotter will be Trapper (3 Aug), Sydney (16 Aug) and Shanghai (21 Aug). There is then a month-long gap to Höegh St Petersburg arriving 23 September.

Can't say which of these will actually be carrying trams, but at least some of them will be.

Snorzac

A quick Google search "car carrier incident South Africa 2024" revealed this....

https://www.algoafm.co.za/local/massive-damage-caused-to-car-carrier-berthed-at-port-of-port-elizabeth

Doesn't say the name of the ship or even the company but could shed some light on it 

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on July 10, 2024, 09:08:40 AMAs I mentioned earlier, Höegh Trotter is the next ship - due at Port Kembla 20 July.
Since you asked, no, Höegh Berlin did not travel to Spain or South Africa. Its route was Southampton then across to USA, through the Panama Canal (presumably) then Auckland and Melbourne.

Following Trotter will be Trapper (3 Aug), Sydney (16 Aug) and Shanghai (21 Aug). There is then a month-long gap to Höegh St Petersburg arriving 23 September.

Can't say which of these will actually be carrying trams, but at least some of them will be.

Sorry, when I went back I saw the list, but the sentence regarding Trotter did not register again.
You seem to have access behind the paywalls or have found sites I did not. As mentioned, the several sites I looked in offered little in the way of previous ship voyage/activity beyond last and next port, unless, in some cases, one paid up.

Overall, this all started with becoming aware of the still unexplained abnormal delays of Hoegh London in two ports.