Game: cryptic bus stops

Started by Stan butler, December 27, 2021, 08:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan butler

Hi all,

Another game.  In this game, someone provides a cryptic clue to the location of a particular bus stop, and people have to guess which bus stop it is.  The first person who correctly guesses the bus stop then  has the ability to ask a similar cryptic question for another bus stop, then the first person who gets that correct asks a similar cryptic bus stop question - and so on.  Rinse and repeat.

Only one cryptic question is allowed at a time.  People can have multiple guesses but they cannot guess again until the person who asks the question confirms their response is either correct or incorrect.

First question for this game:

Which bus stop am I - I am located north of the disappearing man and opposite the old cheese and Vegemite place.  Where am I?

Stan butler

Amendment to add another rule - if no-one correctly guesses within 1 week of the original posting, then the original poster has to cancel that cryptic question, supply the original answer and then ask another.

Just re-capping,this week's cryptic bus stop question is:

Which bus stop am I - I am located north of the disappearing man and opposite the old cheese and Vegemite place.  Where am I?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Is it bus stop 3004 - London Cct after Akuna St?

Stan butler

Close but not quiet correct.  Bus 3004 is north of the disappearing man - but not opposite the old cheese and Vegemite place.

Try again.

Bus 400

Platform 4 at City Interchange?

It's definitely opposite the old shop to get sandwiches from in the Sydney Building

Stan butler

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 29, 2021, 12:49:57 PMPlatform 4 at City Interchange?

It's definitely opposite the old shop to get sandwiches from in the Sydney Building

Incorrect.

You are being too literal with the clue. It is the image.

Barry Drive

Old cheese and Vegemite place: is referring to Bega.

So I'm assuming it's a stop opposite the Old Bega Flats. So maybe 3054 on Ainslie Avenue.

(North of the disappearing Man is referring to Lake Burley Griffin, I also assume, since the name of The Invisible Man was Griffin.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

The Vegemite part of it is getting me, so I'm not sure. I've got my cryptic clue ready, but I'd like to allow others to have a try too.

How about Bus Stop 3356 - Legislative Assembly London Cct?

Stan butler

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 29, 2021, 05:43:10 PMThe Vegemite part of it is getting me, so I'm not sure. I've got my cryptic clue ready, but I'd like to allow others to have a try too.

How about Bus Stop 3356 - Legislative Assembly London Cct?

Sylvan is correct - although I don't think he got it because of the clues 😀

The clues were:

North of the disappearing man.  The disappearing man is the statue on the Cnr of London circ and constitution ave.  Depending on the angle you look at it, it almost disappears.

opposite the old cheese and Vegemite place -  the logo for the commonwealth bank has often been called or likened to a piece of toast with cheese and Vegemite on it (look closely at it the logo and think of cheese and Vegemite).  The commonwealth bank has moved from this location, hence the old cheese and Vegemite place.

So well done @sylvan.  I now pass the baton onto him to come up with some cryptic clues for a bus stop.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Never thought of the logo like that, but okay.

Mine:
Where all is green and the sky is blue, you might see an eagle and a golf ball too.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Sorry, was I suppose to make a new topic, or is continuing from the first one fine?

Stan butler

Keep the same topic as then people can see the history and previous entries and clues

Stan butler

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 29, 2021, 09:42:17 PMMine:
Where all is green and the sky is blue, you might see an eagle and a golf ball too.

Uhmm - this one has me thinking.  Is it the school bus stop at Glen Eagles?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Damnit, too easy. Just to be sure though, which one is it? There's 4 stops around Glen Eagles.

Stan butler

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 30, 2021, 08:44:10 PMDamnit, too easy. Just to be sure though, which one is it? There's 4 stops around Glen Eagles.

I am only aware of one bus stop at glen eagles and that is on mt Vernon just off kambah pool road - and the bus just goes into there, picks up (in the mornings), foes a loop and then back into kambah pool road.  I think it is only school services too.  I'm not aware of any other stops in glen eagles.....

Bus 400

Quote from: Stan butler on December 31, 2021, 06:11:10 AMI am only aware of one bus stop at glen eagles and that is on mt Vernon just off kambah pool road - and the bus just goes into there, picks up (in the mornings), foes a loop and then back into kambah pool road.  I think it is only school services too.  I'm not aware of any other stops in glen eagles.....
There's a one way loop around Ivo Whitton Circuit at the end of Learmonth Drive. One part of the SSO's the Kambah West public bus never took up.

Sylvan Loves Buses

It use to be serviced by a morning and evening 60 (can't remember if the 70 did it), but yes, the Mt Vernon Drive stop is correct (is also a drawing I recently finished too - I must upload more of those soon).
Your turn again Stan Butler ;)

Stan butler

Easy one this time -

Named after a place on the tamar, this bus stop has recently seen the light.

Barry Drive

Since no-one else wants a go: stop 2031.

Stan butler

Correct - this bus stop is on launceston st, which as we all know, sits on the Tamar river in Tassie.  This stop has recently had traffic lights installed near it and hence, has recently seen the light.

The baton has been passed to Barry Drive.

Barry Drive

Dally delivers the news to Fred "the Demon"

triumph

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on January 13, 2022, 12:01:08 PMStop 4321?
I had hoped it would take a little longer, but that is indeed correct.

Since I'm required to explain: Fred Spofforth was a fast bowler from the 1880s known as either "the Demon" or "the Demon Bowler".

And a Messenger delivers news - Messenger St in Holt being named after Herbert "Dally" Messenger.

triumph

Got very lucky - had recently come across something about Fred. The hard part is now setting one. Will have to cogitate that awhile.

triumph

Did Eddy the typographical unionist ever meet Charlie the pilot? Their commemorative streets do.

Barry Drive

You can't say I didn't give other people a chance.

Edward Magrath was the typographical unionist in question. He was a contemporary of Charles Kingsford Smith, so it's possible their paths did cross.

So the answer is stops 4089/4090 in Spence.

triumph

Correct. Just as I was wondering if another clue might be needed. For more info on Edward Magrath who had an Australian Labor political career, search for his bio in the Australian Dictionary of Biography. The stops pair are in Kingsford Smith Drive near to the Southern junction of Magrath Crescent with Kingsford Smith Drive. The Crescent was indeed named after Edward Magrath.
Your turn Barry.

Barry Drive

Looking for a Private Investigator? There's a thousand here.

Barry Drive

No one?

I thought this clue was too easy. But if it helps any, the answer is in Braddon.

Sylvan Loves Buses

My IQ is not that high, and this isn't quite in Braddon, but is it the stop outside the ABC studios that probably doesn't have that peg anymore?

Otherwise, I've got no idea.

Bus 400

Oooo I think I know, Torrens Street after Henty Street

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on January 27, 2022, 05:21:16 PMOooo I think I know, Torrens Street after Henty Street
You're so close, but that answer is 999.5 rather than 1000 PIs.

I was actually after Torrens St after Ipima St (#3142), but I think it's close enough.

Stan butler

Quote from: Barry Drive on January 27, 2022, 05:38:12 PMYou're so close, but that answer is 999.5 rather than 1000 PIs.

I was actually after Torrens St after Ipima St (#3142), but I think it's close enough.

Can you explain your clues...

Barry Drive

Quote from: Stan butler on January 27, 2022, 08:29:42 PMCan you explain your clues...
Thought you'd never ask.

"Looking for a Private Investigator?" - also known as a "PI", which in turn is referring to π (3.14159).

So one thousand PIs is 3.14159 × 1000 which rounded up is 3142.

Simples.

Bus 400

Here was me searching "Haig  spies" & Google giving me an answer.

Now hopefully this is hard, but not too hard.

My father is never far away, neither is a good read

Sylvan Loves Buses

Bus Stop 3196 (Antill St, before Phillip Av)?

Stan butler

Quote from: Bus 400 on January 27, 2022, 09:37:20 PMHere was me searching "Haig  spies" & Google giving me an answer.

Now hopefully this is hard, but not too hard.

My father is never far away, neither is a good read

Outside the national library on king Edward terrace - which is close to the king George memorial (who happens to be the father of king Edward)

Bus 400

Quote from: Stan butler on January 28, 2022, 04:28:17 AMOutside the national library on king Edward terrace - which is close to the king George memorial (who happens to be the father of king Edward)
Correct

Stan butler

Ok here is the new one:

I am a bus stop located in a street named after an airplane.  This street comes off another street named after a pilot. The last 2 digits in my Id are shared witH the number of a very famous plane.  I am located in a suburb named after a prime minister.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Stan butler on January 29, 2022, 06:04:02 PMThis street comes off another street named after a pilot.
I think you'll find both ends of this street join streets named after pilots. One a bit more famous than the other.

Stan butler

Quote from: Stan butler on January 29, 2022, 06:04:02 PMOk here is the new one:

I am a bus stop located in a street named after an airplane.  This street comes off another street named after a pilot. The last 2 digits in my Id are shared witH the number of a very famous plane.  I am located in a suburb named after a prime minister.

Bump

vnguyen

My guess is Stop 4347 - Wirraway Cr after Kingsford Smith Dr in Scullin.

I just dont know which stop refers to the number famous plane.

Stan butler

Quote from: vnguyen on February 02, 2022, 11:43:22 AMMy guess is Stop 4347 - Wirraway Cr after Kingsford Smith Dr in Scullin.

I just dont know which stop refers to the number famous plane.

You guessed correct.  Wirraway is a rather famous plane (in fact it was Australian built), Kingsford-smith is a famous pilot - and the final 2 numbers of the bus stop Id are shared with the final 2 numbers in the 747 designation.  I think we all know what a 747 is.

So the baton is passed to vnguyen.

vnguyen

A environmentalist who likes to sing a song to a prime minister.

Barry Drive

Haven't forgotten, but can't work it out.

Any possibility of a clue?

vnguyen

Quote from: Barry Drive on February 15, 2022, 10:18:37 AMHaven't forgotten, but can't work it out.

Any possibility of a clue?

Its in Weston Creek/Molonglo area

Barry Drive

My best guess is Stop #2806 - Steve Irwin Drive

vnguyen

Quote from: Barry Drive on February 20, 2022, 04:35:22 PMMy best guess is Stop #2806 - Steve Irwin Drive

You are right. The environmentalist is Steve Irwin. The stop is between John Gorton Drive (the prime minister) and Banjo Paterson Avenue (who famously wrote the song Waltzing Matilda).

Barry Drive

A rotary clothes hoist? Tell him he's dreaming.

Stan butler

My immediate guess is Kerrigan st, before lance hill ave.