John Oram Collection - Assorted photos from 1989.

Started by Buzz Killington, March 07, 2012, 09:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Came across these ones tonight and have obtained permission to add them to our Gallery :)

All photos were taken 31 October 1989.

First up we have MAN SG192 artic Bus 510 in the City Interchange. It is in a special livery for the Canberra Raiders.

Mercedes O.305 Bus 620 and Renault PR180.2 Mk1 Bus 720 in City Interchange

Leyland National Bus 305 in City Interchange

MANs 428, 439 and 475 plus a Merc at City West Layover

Bus 312 , a Leyland National, lays over at City West

Finally, we have Bus 720 at City Interchange, with the old control tower visible in the background.

Hope you enjoyed these shots and a big thanks to John for allowing me to share them. Larger sizes can be found in the Gallery.

Bus 400

For a not so old person, would the only change to the City West layover we see today be the landscape? I ask as the background looks so different as to what I saw this afternoon even.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on March 07, 2012, 09:55:54 PM
For a not so old person, would the only change to the City West layover we see today be the landscape? I ask as the background looks so different as to what I saw this afternoon even.
As with most parts of Civic, there were more trees and flower tubs around in earlier times, but to my knowledge, City West layover layout has not changed over the years.
Must admit I can't recall where the main Civic layover was prior to City West being constructed (although with Kingston Depot being so close to Civic, there was less of a need to layover in Civic).

Buzz Killington

And is it just me or are the buses at City West parked facing the opposite direction to what they do now?

Sir Pompously

They seem to be, I only remember them in the direction they are now.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on March 07, 2012, 09:55:54 PM
At the time the photo was taken, the City West departure points (bus station) did not exist.

Some quick research reveals City West started being used as a terminus in 1992 when Commuter Express services started.

Quote from: smitho on March 07, 2012, 10:07:41 PM
Must admit I can't recall where the main Civic layover was prior to City West being constructed

Previous City layover was located at Jolimont site - so City West would have in operation since late 1970s.