A trip to Tasmania - Part 2

Started by Irisbus Rider, June 09, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Tasmania photos - Part 1there's more to come too!
Ha ha, I bet you all thought I'd forgotten about those comments I made; not so.
So, as promised, here is part two, but it will not consist of buses as you may expect, rather, infrastructure, and, yes.....some buses I suppose.
To start the hypothetical ball rolling, here's a bus;

Love that CC body, damn it's nice.
Scania K230UB with an AOA promoting it's Euro V engine emissions standards in Elizabeth St Bus Mall (the main bus interchange just in case you've forgotten). What a beautiful vehicle, shame about the chassis though.

The first 14.5m bus in Australia with a steerable tag axle, Scania L94UB 14.5m bus with an NCBC body. This photo also shows the rear of a NCBC 'Downtown' body.

You've seen the rear, lets go inside one now; the interior of an NCBC, which IMO, is really well designed. Much better than Volgren and CC, and in my travels, found little rattles in an NCBC. It's Great! It is blurry though, apologies.

You also work the rear doors by yourself over there, it's great, I believe it is 'unlocked' when the front door is opened, not sure though. It's wonderful IMO, but not according to my dad, as he got his arm caught in it exiting the bus lol.
Look at those Ansair similarities!

There are the instructions to go with it, clearly from the 1980s (judging by the beard), even sporting the 'MTT' branding. Sorry about the blur, I did my best as it was a moving bus after all.

Now, I also wanted to post this to highlight the Infrastructure thats is provided for Public Transport, which takes us to Rosny Park (Eastlands) Bus Mall;

Very simple, but damn, it does the job. Surely ACTION can do something like this.

Glenorchy Bus Mall is set up in a similar fashion, again, something like this at Cohen St would be bliss!

A typical modern Metro bus stop, with an information display (which would be the equilavent of our Bollards).

Take a look at this, they have an Interchange, HQ and Depot all in one;

The Interchange, and;

The Depot just behind it. Definately worthy of a wow!

Well, thanks for taking a look, but very interesting to see how they do things elsewhere, and compare it to ACTION. And who knows, there might be a Part 3, who knows.......

Buzz Killington

Very interesting set here. I like the idea of the passenger operated back door too.

Eastlands Interchange looks great. Plenty of shelter and as you say, looks very simple yet effective.

Like the idea of a depot-adjacent Interchange too!

Quote from: Virusbus Rider on June 09, 2009, 09:27:38 PM
Elizabeth St Buss Mall

Oh my

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 09, 2009, 09:38:31 PM
Quote from: Virusbus RiderElizabeth St Buss Mall
Oh my
That little mistake was quickly rectified, don't be concerned, though, yes, it is shameful......

Sir Pompously

lol, they even have sign's for a 'Sick Bay' in the depot.

Very nice photos John!

Snorzac

I am sure that Virusbus Rider was  :WOW:  ing at the whole trip

Barry Drive

Quote from: Virusbus Rider on June 09, 2009, 09:27:38 PM
You also work the rear doors by yourself over there, it's great, I believe it is 'unlocked' when the front door is opened, not sure though. It's wonderful IMO, but not according to my dad, as he got his arm caught in it exiting the bus lol.
Adelaide buses also have the passenger-operated rear door. Although they stopped doing it when they specified wheelchair ramps for the rear door. Now, even though the wheelchair ramp is at the front door, the rear doors are driver-operated.

On the Adelaide buses there is a switch which can de-activate the rear door if, for some reason, the driver doesn't want passengers to use it.