Article: ACTION bus service a 'schemozzle'

Started by CanberraTransport, August 10, 2008, 11:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanberraTransport

QuoteSome ACTION bus drivers are speeding and ignoring road rules to get to bus stops on time, with the whole service a ''schemozzle''.

A driver, who did not want to be named, said he had been with the service for more than 10 years and in that time had seen the service go from bad to worse.

He decided to contact the Sunday Canberra Times after reading last week's article on the increase in accidents in the ACTION fleet, to provide his own reasoning why this might be.

He thought tight timetabling was to blame and said the ''pressure'' drivers felt to get to stops on time had seen some drivers become ''cowboys''.

''There are some drivers who do go through give way and stop signs so they run on time,'' he said. ''While they [ACTION] will just say 'well we didn't tell them to speed or drive like that', it almost seems like you have no choice to make it on time.

''Drivers are under pressure all the time.''

He said the timetables needed to be altered by ''two, three even five minutes'' to allow drivers more time to get to stops.

Morale was also low within the service and new drivers were becoming increasingly disillusioned by the job.

''Even the new guys come in and shake their heads,'' he said.

Other concerns he raised were:

Buses still being over-crowded on some routes.

Some drivers running so far behind in timetable schedules they had no time for ''comfort stops''.

Drivers still concerned about the security at bus interchanges.

Road rage directed from other road users towards buses, with rocks, eggs and other projectiles being thrown.

Tension existing between bus drivers and supervisors.

Transport Workers Union ACT official Ben Sweaney said low morale within ACTION was a concern for the union, as was pressure on timetables.

''We will be working with the [ACT] Government and the Department to ensure everything is done to increase morale,'' he said. ''We are also working with ACTION to ensure there are no unnecessary pressures placed on drivers or unrealistic expectations.''

ACT Shadow Transport Minister Steve Pratt said ACTION bus drivers had also approached him with concerns about ''increasing pressure on them to meet extremely tight deadlines'' and security at bus interchanges.

A spokeswoman for Territory and Municipal Services said ACTION was ''committed to providing a safe and harmonious work environment'' and was not aware of any issues between staff.

''Drivers are regularly reminded that ACTION does not condone exceeding the speed limit or ignoring regulations in order to meet timetables,'' she said.

''All bus services have been timed to ensure drivers are able to meet scheduled timetables.

''If this is not the case, drivers are encouraged to provide feedback to our Network Planning Division.''

The spokeswoman said ACTION ''did not support'' the comment that there was general disorganisation or low morale within ACTION.

By Emily Sherlock
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/action-bus-service-a-schemozzle/1240157.aspx

Barry Drive

There are comments I could make about :

Quote''All bus services have been timed to ensure drivers are able to meet scheduled timetables.

''If this is not the case, drivers are encouraged to provide feedback to our Network Planning Division.''
but I choose not to do so publically.

However, I disagree about tensions between bus drivers and supervisors. So far every supervisor I've dealt with has been approachable, friendly and totally professional.

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

In relation to drivers not having time for comfort stops, in Perth they have their break & do the next run late.

What drivers should do is do the routes at the speed limit & obey every road sign & when the afternoon peak services are 45 minutes late, each bus driver can tell the passengers to whinge to the ACT Government & ACT Opposition (as the ACT is in an election year)

bubzie

clearly my driver this afternoon was from perth or something, he arrived at tuggers at 1:20, was suppose to leave on his northbound 11 at 1:21, didnt leave till 1:35..  >:( >:( >:(

(not to mention, when he finally did leave, he went slow! arrgh!)

(and inbetween 1:20 and 1:35, he was in the bus reading or something..)

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on August 11, 2008, 03:58:31 PM
In relation to drivers not having time for comfort stops, in Perth they have their break & do the next run late.

What drivers should do is do the routes at the speed limit & obey every road sign & when the afternoon peak services are 45 minutes late, each bus driver can tell the passengers to whinge to the ACT Government & ACT Opposition (as the ACT is in an election year)

Drivers are entitled to take the minimum break of 4/5 mins in peak/off-peak times and then not drive their next run if it means leaving 10 or more minutes late. Very few do that though. Of course there're some runs which you can start 10 minutes late and still finish early.

Irisbus Rider

That driver has obviously never done certain runs, eg, 904 and a few Gungahlin runs see buses leave late, and arrive early! The tinmes are so skewed, it's inccredibly difficult to run on time.

That and the driver layover times have been cut down, forcing drivers to have longer "comfort stops", and running late.

It's all a mess.

Jack Bauer

I wouldn't care if they were running late, but then when they drive slow while running late, that's just shit.

Busnerd

As belcodriver said, drivers are entitled to a certain turnaround time between trips, if they choose to take it they cant get in trouble as its their right. Im sure everyone here would be annoyed if you did an intertown and ran late and didnt get your 13 minutes to stand up, stretch the legs, go to the toilet and what not. However yes it is annoying when they then go slow if they are late.

Drivers should be doing the speed limit and following all road signs, they are proffessional drivers afterall..I agree that drivers will do the run as best they can and if they run late, too bad. Blame stanhope

Irisbus Rider

belcodriver

Quote from: Busnerd on August 12, 2008, 04:33:48 PM
As belcodriver said, drivers are entitled to a certain turnaround time between trips, if they choose to take it they cant get in trouble as its their right. Im sure everyone here would be annoyed if you did an intertown and ran late and didnt get your 13 minutes to stand up

The minimum time between 300s is less than 13 minutes. I think it's 10mins but I'm not certain about that. With this new network some of the new runs, for eg 4s and 5s, are up to 1hr 40mins long with only 5 minutes break between them. These are longer than any of the 300s since they've had the Belco or Tuggers suburban part chopped off.

Busnerd

The old intertowns were 13 minutes at each end...however weekend 300 runs only had the usual 4 or 5 minutes turnaround time.