Pink marker pegs at stops around Kippax

Started by ajw373, August 06, 2013, 06:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajw373

I have noticed on Southern Cross Drive and Starke street that a number of stops have a recently gained some small pink marker pegs near the existing stop poles. Any idea what they are for? Are these stops going to receive new bollard type stop boards?

Bus 400

As a part of the new Charnwood Layover tender, there was also a study to be conducted on Southern Cross Drive stops. So that could be why the pegs are there.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 06, 2013, 06:33:02 PM
As a part of the new Charnwood Layover tender, there was also a study to be conducted on Southern Cross Drive stops. So that could be why the pegs are there.

They're markers. More than likely for bollards.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 06, 2013, 06:33:02 PM

Pretty certain it is unrelated. The markers are in more places than Southern Cross Drive. This arvo noticed them on Drakebrockman, Beaurepaire Cres, O'Riley Street, Osbourne Drive and Archdall Street. With Archdall they were only on the stops in the Macgregor bit, not the 2 pairs of stops in Dunlop. On the Macgregor bit I saw one old wooden peg with a pink cross painted, though further up the road on the otherside was another wooden peg with no signs of a cross.

So pretty sure we will be seeing new stops where the pink pegs are.

Buzz Killington

They appear to just be new poles for bus stop blades. A few have already been installed.

They are also on Kingsford Smith Dr, Ginninderra Dr, Kerrigan St and Douglas Waterhouse Dr.

I guess the question now is "why?" - is there a standard height that bus stop signage needs to be?

Edit: Also on Branson and Polilight Streets.

Bus 400

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 09, 2013, 09:44:14 PM
.......is there a standard height that bus stop signage needs to be?

Standards & bus stop signage around here don't below in the same sentence.

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 09, 2013, 09:44:14 PM
They appear to just be new poles for bus stop blades. A few have already been installed.

They are also on Kingsford Smith Dr, Ginninderra Dr, Kerrigan St and Douglas Waterhouse Dr.

I guess the question now is "why?" - is there a standard height that bus stop signage needs to be?

I saw the peg guy (think is truck said Capital Signs) out on Gininderra Drive yesterday, they have now also pegged the two pairs of stops on Archdall Street in Dunlop.

Now if they are just new standard poles, what a bloody waste of money. Surely if the current ones are not up to scratch all they need is new blades rather the complete new poles.

Barry Drive

From the Media Release regarding the NXTBUS rollout -

Quote from: Shane RattenburyUpdated signage will also start being installed at the 3,100 bus stops located across Canberra. These signs will provide bus users with the details of how they can access service information once the real-time system is live. Due to the large amount of bus stops, work will commence in October with an aim to have most signs in place when the system is expected to go live in December.

Could it be something to do with this? There is no bus stop-specific contract for Capital Lines and Signs, they just have a panel contract for traffic signage.

Those of us who remember the 1980s may recall that when ACTION first installed timetable holders at bus stops, they used a product (which was also used at Melbourne tram stops) which required a pole with a wider-than-usual diameter. A handful of these poles still remain at stops, although the timetable holder has been long gone. Purely speculation, but perhaps the new signage being installed for NXTBUS requires a different size or design of pole - maybe Canberra will be getting J poles.

Buzz Killington

I think I spotted some of the new poles in place on Kingsford Smith (will have to confirm) which appeared to be the same width, just taller.

Bus 400

These pegs have also appeared out on Eyre Street in Kingston.

While it may not be connected, on the newly cemented Albert Hall bus stop, there are 2 holes close together.

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 10, 2013, 01:54:00 PM
I think I spotted some of the new poles in place on Kingsford Smith (will have to confirm) which appeared to be the same width, just taller.

There are a couple of news ones on Kingsford Smith Drive, and also one on Drake Brockman, in all cases in locations that did not previously have a metal pole stop. They just look like any other metal pole, sans, at present the stop blade at the top. However where these have appeared there are still pink pegs.

ajw373

Went for a walk this arvo and checked out the pegs on my travels. The stops that are currently missing poles (1 on Gininderra Drive, 1 on Archdall Street) have a 4 digit number on the peg followed by "new 3.6". Those with an existing pole just have a 4 digit number with "B/O" afterwards.

So it would seem to me that the stops are having an extra sign of some sort added with the 4 digit number being the stop number and those missing poles getting new ones installed along with the signage.

Bus 400

Aha, if its like Transperth that 4 digit number would correspond to the stop number. You would then enter the stop number into a website & it would tell you how far away the bus is.

While Transperth's suburban bus services don't have a real time set up, you can still enter a 5 digit stop number to find out when the buses arrive. The website is http://136213.mobi/Bus/BusTimes.aspx . I have no idea where the stop is exactly, but enter stop 14567 & see what it brings up.

Buzz Killington

So presumably we'll start seeing the pink marker pegs all over town. Must just be starting with the northside. Spotted some on Florey Dr this afternoon.

Hopefully it doesn't mean the end for the old wooden signal bus pegs, or the blue and white schools only pegs.

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 11, 2013, 06:31:40 PM
Hopefully it doesn't mean the end for the old wooden signal bus pegs, or the blue and white schools only pegs.

Think it will, as mentioned above saw at least one old wood peg with a big pink cross on it on Archdall Street.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ajw373 on August 11, 2013, 04:49:37 PM
Those with an existing pole just have a 4 digit number with "B/O" afterwards.
Blade only? Maybe a new blade design with added bus stop number.

Buzz Killington

New "School Services Only" mini-blades have been attached to some of the new poles in Dunlop. They sit just below the bus stop blades.

Barry Drive

Details of the new bus stop blades can be found here: http://www.action.act.gov.au/news/news_articles/installation-of-new-bus-stop-signs

Note the lack of ACTION insignia/web address.

ajw373

The lack of the Action logo is not surprising really.

Good to see they are rolling this out in advance of NXTBUS using schedule information rather than real time.

ajw373

I see they have been busy putting up the new blades in Higgins and Holt. One odd thing though is on Gininderra Drive in Dunlop, the stop closest to the Charnwood ovals had a new pole installed last week since then it has been bladless, but today when I drove past it now has a 'new' blade but the old style. None of the other new poles in Dunlop have a blade at all. I do wonder why they wasted their time putting up an old style blade, presumably the new blades will be installed soon!

Lachie

Saw A New One Today, Ill get a pic in a couple hours probs or less :)

Buzz Killington

Looks like the old style blue and white bus stop sign in Moyes Cr has survived, for now at least..

Barry Drive

Opposite the tennis club? If so, that means that only active stops are being modified. Which probably also means the stops in Osburn Dr- south arm (not served by Route 43) are not used by School services anymore.

Buzz Killington

Not too familiar with Holt, but it was the last stop on the right before Southern Cross Drive.

There's a few blue and white pegs over in Spence too from memory, on Alpen St.

Buzz Killington

Spotted a few old blades in Gungahlin on the weekend - one on Katherine Av and one on Clarrie Hermes Dr