Bunker shelters

Started by smitho, July 12, 2009, 06:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

First southbound stop north of the O'Connor Shops - looks like a relocated Bunker, but it appears to have been there for some months (at least).

The bunker outside Dickson pool on Cowper St was removed today.

smitho

Southbound bunker at Southlands, Mawson Centre, was being lifted out at around 0815 this morning for removal by truck.

Barry Drive

… and has been relocated on Ginninderra Dr, Dunlop.

Buzz Killington

Went past there today and didn't even notice!

smitho

It'd be good to see some bunkers installed in Coombe, Wright etc

Bus 400

The bunker shelter on Athllon Drive which is southbound just before the Mount Taylor Nature Reserve has been dug around. This could be the next to be relocated.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on February 16, 2012, 09:42:17 PM
The bunker shelter on Athllon Drive which is southbound just before the Mount Taylor Nature Reserve has been dug around. This could be the next to be relocated.

Don't think so - appears as if they're just expanding the landing pad.

Barry Drive

Looks like the first Belco-bound stop on Haydon Dr will be losing its Bunker shelter.

smitho

Quite a few bunker shelters in Weston Ck are being 'dug around', but this is for purpose of renewing and expanding concreted areas, rather than bunker removal.

smitho

Noticed today that southbound Cowper St bunker shelter at Dickson Shops has been replaced with an Adshel...been done for a while, but hadn't registered with me on the odd occasions I've done 39s lately.

lukeo25

The Haydon Dr bunker #6 is now on narrabundah lane northbound towards woden

Bus 400

The Canberra Times stop now features the plastic shelter from Wanganeen Avenue (I hope the spelling is right) in Ngunnawal.

The previous bunker shelter has gone.

The AdShel has been installed today for the Belconnen bound Calvary Hospital stop on Haydon Drive.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on March 16, 2012, 01:49:11 PM
The Canberra Times stop now features the plastic shelter from Wanganeen Avenue (I hope the spelling is right) in Ngunnawal.

Surprised they'd bother recycling one of those plastic shelters; should've been sent directly to the recycling centre at the tip.

Barry Drive

The bunker on Antill St Dickson before Northbourne Ave has been roped off.

Bus 400

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on March 21, 2012, 10:51:53 AM
The bunker on Antill St Dickson before Northbourne Ave has been roped off.

It was removed today sometime between 11:45 & 15:00.

It also looks like 2 new bunker shelters have been installed on Bangalay Crescent in Rivett.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on March 21, 2012, 03:25:02 PM
It was removed today sometime between 11:45 & 15:00.

It also looks like 2 new bunker shelters have been installed on Bangalay Crescent in Rivett.

Yes, you're right about the Rivett transplants....busy stops.

Barry Drive

Newish installation of bunker shelter on Fairfax St (eastbound) before Dryandra St. (It could have been there for a while, but I've only just noticed it.)

smitho

Bunker is being installed at the northbound Drumston St stop (adjacent to St Mary Mack's Isabella Campus).

smitho

Bunker 'Busk Stop' filled with Folky Music types again features in the National Folk Festival promotions doing the rounds at present - including on the front page of last week's 'Canberra Weekly' magazine.

Bus 400

Quote from: smitho on March 25, 2012, 12:13:56 PM
Bunker 'Busk Stop' filled with Folky Music types again features in the National Folk Festival promotions doing the rounds at present - including on the front page of last week's 'Canberra Weekly' magazine.

This is from the National Folk Festival programme:

It can be found at http://issuu.com/nationalfolkfestival/docs/2012_national_folk_festival_program_issuu/1

Irisbus Rider

Two more bunkers in Dunlop, one at the bottom of the hill on Archdall St (between Ginninderra and Handcock), and the second opposite the bunker currently on Lance Hill Av (which is only serviced by the 703 and the 905).

smitho

I hope the bunkers will find there way out to Coombs, Wright etc very soon.

Bus 400

There appears to be a new bunker on the Woden bound stop on Macgregor Street near the Deakin Shops.

ajw373

Anyone know the reasoning behind the "new" bunker shelter on Lance Hill Ave. The shelter I am talking about is on the north eastern side of the road and is only serviced by the 703. Why not put an extra one on the other side near to the Dunlop Wollies or on Kerrigan Street.

smitho

Melrose High intertown bunker northbound (Athllon Dv)...work in progress this am....not clear what's happening at this stage.

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on June 21, 2012, 01:25:27 PM
Melrose High intertown bunker northbound (Athllon Dv)...work in progress this am....not clear what's happening at this stage.
Refer here http://actbus.net/?p=1494. It's to be the next "major" AdShel.

route56

The National Folk Festival bunker shelters.

King of Buses

Whilst I was up in Queensland a while ago, guess what I found. Yep thats right, a Bunker shelter.
It was on the Gold Coast along Smith St/ Brooke St in Arundel. There was also a few others around the nearby area.

ajw373

You will find them all over the place. Saw some near Charmhaven on the central coast the other day, and I also recall seeing some in the Smithfield area of Sydney years ago (back before the M7 opened). So certainly not unique to Canberra.

Buzz Killington

I wouldn't have called them unique but given their numbers in Canberra it's understandable that they are out readily associated with us.

Iconic perhaps?

That Gold Coast one looks very smart in those colours. I often think a revival of the shelter painting competition would be a good idea - bring some colour back to the suburbs

Sir Pompously

Other places seem to have very limited numbers of these bunker shelters, I have seen them on State Rail platforms, in some random suburbs in Sydney and that is about it (Not that they don't exist elsewhere as proven above). In Canberra, it is hard to go into an older suburb without bumping into a bunker! So certainly iconic, as the bunker is easily associated with us as any visitor to Canberra will certainly see a number of these shelters on their travels.

smitho

From my observations, it appears that Gungahlin (excluding Mitchell) is presently bunker-less. Correct???

Sir Pompously

Ngunnawal has one on Unaipon, Mirrabei Drive Amaroo also has one and I still think there is one on Gundaroo Drive in Nicholls as well.

Buzz Killington

I thought there was one on Kosciusko Av in Palmerston but I'm not certain

Sir Pompously

I thought there was as well, but I cannot find one on street view!

Bus 400

A bunker is currently on its back in the parkland on Constitution Avenue.

smitho

Removed bunker shelter remains on its back in grassland adjoining Constitution Ave, immediately south of Anzac Parade.

Bus 400

A number of relocated bunker shelters have popped up on Baldwin Drive. Most of them are from the Kings & Commonwealth Avenues bus stops.

Also, out of curiosity who else also new one of the old bunker shelters on the southbound side of the Commonwealth Avenue bus stops didn't have a seat in it? I seem to recall this shelter has been seatless since I was a young whipper snapper going to Questacon, whatever else I did 13 years ago.

smitho

Quote from: smitho on May 13, 2013, 10:03:14 PM
Removed bunker shelter remains on its back in grassland adjoining Constitution Ave, immediately south of Anzac Parade.

This displaced bunker had attracted some artwork onto it whilst still lying on its side.....a new, permanent public art feature may be???

smitho

Bunker at the ACT Hospice in Barton is being readied for removal and relocation.

smitho

Quote from: smitho on July 07, 2013, 11:38:19 PM
Bunker at the ACT Hospice in Barton is being readied for removal and relocation.

I was wrong!

Bunker remains at the Hospice but now has new concrete floor and surrounds and has received a new coat of paint...looks pretty spiffy.

smitho

Noticed several relocated bunkers now in use @ Baldwin Drive, Kaleen/Giralang.

A bunker has recently gone in on Aspinall St, Watson, opposite Solstice (first stop after the 39 chucks a left from Antill St).

Several other bunkers and stops in Watson, Downer and Dickson have recently received minor refurbishments which would appear to bring DDA requirements up to scratch, even though some of these stops were already upgraded within the past couple of years (Antill St outside Dickson College comes to mind).

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on July 06, 2013, 09:24:44 PM
A number of relocated bunker shelters have popped up on Baldwin Drive.

Also, out of curiosity who else also new one of the old bunker shelters on the southbound side of the Commonwealth Avenue bus stops didn't have a seat in it?
The seatless shelter is now at stop #4012. Still seatless.

Barry Drive

The two shelters formerly on College St near Radford College are being installed onto Haydon Drive, either side of the College St intersection. (One heading towards Kaleen, the other heading towards Belconnen Way). These two stops will replace the former Radford College stop before the Haydon Drive intersection.

King of Buses

A Bunker has appeared at the northbound stop on Tharwa Drive at the top of Conder/Gordon near Drakeford Dr.

smitho

yes, I think that went in yesterday afternoon or early this morning as I first spotted it around 1030am today...I pulled over to check it out this evening. It is perched on several pre-cast concrete blocks, which (I assume) will be submerged in poured concrete once the formwork is completed.

Let's hope they give it a re-paint before it is commissioned...same goes for those grubby, recently relocated bunkers on Hayden Drive near Fern Hill park.

Buzz Killington

Speaking of, is there some logical reason why there is now a bunker (and presumably a bus stop) on Haydon Dr, just past College St before you get to Eardley St?

Barry Drive

Yes: it replaces the Radford College stop for services headed to Gungahlin / Kaleen / Giralang (30 31 56 58 59 71 932 958). I expect 3 & 7 won't stop there.

Stop may be opened in 2 weeks.