Belconnen Changes

Started by The Love Guru, January 07, 2009, 10:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Love Guru

Work has begun on the first of the new bus stands to be built in Belconnen. The lower carpark out the front of Belconnen depot has been closed off and is being converted into an interchange. In the interm, there will be some changes to the movement of buses within the depot, so keep a look out to see some strange happenings.

It is expected that this work will be completed by the end of Feb.

Snorzac

Saw that. They were putting portable offices or something in with a crane.

Busnerd

so the interchange will be out in the stix in the carpark until westfield extends over to it in 3 years time

Irisbus Rider

3 years? We hope not, more like 1 year, or am I too optimistic?

Buzz Killington

Everything (roadworks, mall extension) is planned to be complete by the end of 2010.

Here's a basic rundown of what will be happening:

"Early 2009" - New Traffic lights at the following intersections:
- Benjamin Way / Emu Bank (About bloody time something was there)
- Emu Bank / Eastern Valley Way
- Cohen St / Josephson St
- Cohen St / Nettflefold St
- Cohen St / Lathlain St

The lights are being installed both to reduced accidents and slow traffic in the town centre to make things safer for pedestrians

April 2009
- Interchange closes
- Cohen St extension begins

The New Bus Stations will be located:
- Near the mall, with a direct link to level 3
- On part of the site of the old interchange, to service the offices and park area
- On Emu Bank, adjacent to the college, for that and CISAC

i think we'll also turn this into the general "belconnen changes" thread.

Snorzac

Don't forget the bus station outside the depot

Bus 400

All this is found in the new brochure that the ACT Government is putting out.

Busnerd

So these are the temporary 'bus stations' that are going in before they put the new interchange in once westfield extends.

The Love Guru

Not quite, the one at the depot is permanent, as is the one at the college. The other 2 are temporary whilst the Cohen St extension is built.

Snorzac

This could get confusing, I know Todd and myself confused the shit out of a driver trying to explain.

Bus 400

The brochure "Belconnen Town Centre Improvements" states that Belco buses will come from Luxton St, stop at bus stations at Westfield Belconnen , ABS (old bus interchange) & opposite Gininderra College. buses from City will stop at Ginninderra College, ABS & Westfield Belconnen.

However the map shows a Bus Station opposite Belco Depot for Western/Mixed use services (proably the temp one).

belcodriver

The stops outside the depot will be similar in function to City West, that is some routes will pick up no/very few passengers there and continue on to the interchange.

Still I suppose it will be good for odd clown who stands at the stop outside the depot and puts their hand out even though they've seen you driving out the gates.

Is this brochure online?

Snorzac

Not that I know of but it has being delivered to most letter boxes, you can get a copy from a bus interchange or Canberra Connect.

Buzz Killington

i have a copy, will email it to you belcodriver.

belcodriver

Thanks for the brochure. I was disappointed that it didn't have a map of the changes.

Buzz Killington

Yeah, seemed like a strange omission. Although I think i recall seeing a master plan for the town centre which featured some maps - i'll see if i can find it again.

Barry Drive

Quote from: belcodriver on January 08, 2009, 11:33:16 PM
The stops outside the depot will be similar in function to City West, that is some routes will pick up no/very few passengers there and continue on to the interchange.
The stops outside the depot and on Emu Bank will operate similarly (but on a larger scale) to the Gungahlin Town Centre layovers - two terminus points between common stops in the middle served by all services. This is known as the far-side terminus model.

The challenge for HASTUS will be to avoid dead-running between the two. The other problem will be layover area - will there be enough?

The Love Guru

They have begun work on the Aikman Dr layover area, behind the bowling alley. Appears this will be able to hold at least 10 buses (possibly more) if it is only used for Layovers.

Work outside Belconnen Depot is progressing very quickly with carpark having been completely removed already. There are markings on the road (along with trees removed) in what appears to be preperation for the widening of the intersection with Josephson St. This intersection will be a set of lights in the near future, and appears that buses will have there own set of lights to exit the new interchange/bus stands. Appears it will be similar in design to the city west platforms and lights to exit.

Bus 400

I am just wondering but this bus station the idea that has been put forward to replace City Interchange? Also ACTION have put up some info on their website about this (http://www.action.act.gov.au/demolition_of_belconnen_bus_interchange.html)

Quote from: ACTION Website
Demolition of Belconnen Bus Interchange
Over the next two years improvements will be made to the Belconnen Town Centre giving people better access to the shopping mall, simpler bus routes and easy pedestrian access to the entire town centre.

The Belconnen bus interchange will be demolished. New bus stations will be built at the south-west corner of Westfield Belconnen Mall. Cohen Street will be extended to Emu Bank with new bus stops built near the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) and Lake Ginninderra College. The upgrade will allow bus travellers to get on or off at either the 'retail' bus station at the western extension of the Westfield Belconnen mall, the 'ABS' stop on Cohen Street (close to the old interchange) or the 'college' stop at Emu Bank.

Temporary Bus Stations
During the redevelopment process, temporary bus stations will be located on Cohen Street, Lathlain Street and Cameron Avenue. These bus stations will provide connections to all bus routes passing through the Belconnen Town Centre.

More Bus Timetable Information
In early April, more details about the temporary bus stations will be available from this site. The information will include where to catch your bus and what timetables will change. Please check the ACTION website in early April 2009 for up to date information.

More Information about the Redevelopment
To find out more about the plan for the Belconnen Town Centre, visit the ACT Planning and Land Authority website.

Barry Drive

The way I see it, the following routes will commence and terminate from Belconnen West (outside the depot):

3, 7, 10, 30, 31, 44, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 74, 300, 318, 319, 705, 710, 749

And these routes will commence and terminate from Belconnen East layover (Aikman Drive):

12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 43, 45, 73

Busnerd

I wonder if they will run shuttles between the two, its going to confuse the hell out of people.

Buzz Killington

im sure a lot of routes would run through one and end at the other

Barry Drive

Quote from: Busnerd on January 23, 2009, 05:26:25 PM
I wonder if they will run shuttles between the two, its going to confuse the hell out of people.
See my previous post:
Quote from: Martin on January 16, 2009, 10:47:20 AM
Two terminus points between common stops in the middle served by all services.
But I agree that there will be mass confusion - particularly if the bus stops do not show enough information.

smitho

There seems to be a little confusion among Forum contributers as to where the bus stops ("stations") will be in the interim and final layouts of the Belconnen Interplex (as I call the arrangements which will replace the Belconnen Interchange - "plex", because its all a bit complex!).

As I understand it, the interim Interplex will have stops at the (1) Belconnen Depot, (2) Lathlain St (serving Belconnen Mall) and (3) in Cameron St (serving the office precinct).

I gather the final 'Interplex' will have stops  (1) outside Belconnen Depot, (2) the Retail Stop, to be located on the Cohen St extension (on a site adjoining the Mall near the former Busway), (3) the ABS Stop, also to be located on the Cohen St extension over the Interchange site, about half way down the length of the current interchange platform and (4) an Emu Bank Stop at the intersection of Eastern Valley Way and Emu Bank. These stops will be commissioned at the end of 2010.

Am I right with all of this?

Barry Drive

Smitho, you are right.

Something to note - the display at Belconnen Depot says that the final arrangement (due Nov 2010) will have all bus routes servicing all four stations. This suggests that routes which currently travel all the way along Lathlain St (such as 14, 16, 43) will have to go up Cohen St to serve 'Belconnen West' then continue along Cohen St, Nettlefold St, Coulter Dr and resume current route.

Snorzac

Would it be easier to come off Southern Cross onto Coulter Dr, Nettlefold st, Cohen st, then continue or is that what you are saying Martin.

At the moment all the buses that previously used the busway, go via  Coulter and Luxton, I think if they are getting people use to Lathalain they should also send all the buses down Cohen.

Bus 400

It appears as if they may be making a busway from the southern exit of UC onto College St onto Lake Ginninderra College Bus Station.

Irisbus Rider

That would be interesting, although, I don't see that happening, as the ever so popular CISAC stop will then be neglected. It will probably shadow the regular route of the Intertown.

Bus 400

Went past today & this isn't the case. It must be some project to do with the UC, as the bus platforms run all the way along Aikman Dr to Eastern Valley Way lights.

But I did think that I saw somewhere as a part of the Belconnen to City Busway that there was to be short cut through there & it was one of the reasons for extending Aikman Dr around to EVW.

Buzz Killington

tthere seem to be a lot of auction signs up for blocks of land around the town centre too. Two that spring to mind are the carpark between "The Basement" on Cohen St and the Belconnen Workshops, and the corner of Aikman and Eastern Valley, behind the Maccas/AMF carpark.

Irisbus Rider

Eastern Valley Way/Aikman because the Macquarie Bank are selling the AMF bowling alley, and the other one is to sell retail space with the adjacent bus interchange/terminus.

TP3000, the Belconnen to City busway quietly got shelved 2 to 3 years ago.

Bus 400

I knew that, Urban Services was taken off Corbell who supported the busway & given to suck up Hargreaves who was on brainless Stanhopes side of no busway.

route56

This will be a debacle.

I thought they were trying to revitalise the belconnen town centre.

having the main interchange in the mall is great for westfield, but the rest of belconnen will suffer. the whole '4 bus stop' thing is just a crock. it will confuse everyone, and cause the bus trip times to be longer.

i cant see it attracting any more peopel to use buses. 

The Love Guru

Quote from: route56 on February 21, 2009, 02:03:18 AM
This will be a debacle.

I thought they were trying to revitalise the belconnen town centre.

having the main interchange in the mall is great for westfield, but the rest of belconnen will suffer. the whole '4 bus stop' thing is just a crock. it will confuse everyone, and cause the bus trip times to be longer.

i cant see it attracting any more peopel to use buses. 

Not sure where you are getting your info from, but according to the plans posted on the internet the main interchange is NOT at westfield, but is where the current interchange is now! It is to be an on street design with dedicated bus lanes allowing an easy flow of traffic for the buses.

What makes you think the '4 bus stop thing is a crock"????? Every bus that goes to Belconnen will travel to all the stops, unlike the current arrangement where its impossible to get a bus from Gungahlin to anywhere but the interchange. It will allow a lot more frequent service to the western part of the town centre, and allow travel from areas currently requiring a change of bus at the interchange.

With so many buses travelling through this corridor, it will attract passengers to use the service to move throughout the entire town centre. There are a lot of businesses in the western section that will appreciate the added services, in particular the automotive places where people will be able to drop their car off and have easy access to direct services to most areas.

It would nice however to see at least 1 run diverted to travel the length of Nettlefold St, as it seems this part of Belconnen is forgotten by the route planners. With the runs starting from the bus depot and travelling through all of the Belconnen, a diversion of the 44 (or even 10) would seem practical, as these routes will be entering via Benjamin Way which is in the middle of the '4 stops' corridor.

Will have to agree that these changes may cause an increase in journey times, but only by a few minutes, whilst serving a much larger percentage of the Belconnen town centre.

Snorzac

This is going to be great for me, the West Belconnen Stop or Depot stop is a 5min walk from my house

Bus 400

I am just wondering how will the buses get from Depot Bus Station to College Bus Station without turning right onto Emu Bank or going through Belconnen Interchange.

Also I have not seen in the plans about how Cohen St will intersect with Eastern Valley Way & Emu Bank? I would think it would be with lights, but then again it appears as if Cohen Street will enter the intersection at an unusual angle.

Buzz Killington

Is Cohen actually going to intersect with Eastern Valley though? Looking at the map..

Entering Cohen St from Emu Bank (coming from the Maccas direction) appears to be via the current interchange Entrance
Entering Cohen St from Emu Bank (heading towards maccas) is a small slip lane where the current bend is on Emu Bank.

Exiting Cohen onto Emu Bank is via a new piece of road just past the bend in Emu Bank heading towards Subway

Bus 400

Would it be worth everyone selecting Belconnen Interchange pictures for memories of Belconnen Interchange on the last weekend of Belconnen Interchange?

Buzz Killington

We will be putting something together on the website for the interchange. It hasn't been decided just what form that would take, but feel free to send us through your photos of Belconnen Interchange to website@actbus.net

Bus 400

Until further noice, buses going to & from Belco Depot are not allwed to use Josephson St or going in via Cameron Avenue.

Bus 400

After reading a document called "Belconnen public transport Bus interchange options" dated 10/12/2002. It gives one of the options that was also given back in 1997 the current option being undertaken. This report also shows you what the bus network was in Belconnen in 2002. I didn't reaise that the 55 went on a round about route & went through Palmerston while the 56 went another way.

This report can be found at http://www.tams.act.gov.au/move/sustainable_transport_plan_actions/publications.

smitho

An ACT Govt ad in today's Canberra Times puts the closure date for Belconnen Interchange as 25 May, not the end of April as stated earlier...

Bus 400

The Canberra Times ad says that Belconnen Interchange will be "decommissioned" on 25th May.

It appears that busses will go via Lathlain Stret until ABS Bus Station is complete as work is now being done to widen this road & the roundabout at the intersection of Chandler St has been altered (made wider) to cater for busses.

Bus 400

East Belconnen Bus Station is almost complete. It is just waiting for the platform signs & shelters to be constructed. Work has also began on the temp ABS Bus Station on Cameron Avenue.

The Love Guru

East Belconnen bus station??????

The ABS stop is the first bus station in Belconnen. I think what you are refering to is the layover area on Aikman Dr. This mostly likely will not have shelters as buses will not be picking up passengers from that location. There will be an amenities block built for drivers and thats about it, the rest of it is just for bus parking.

Bus 400

I did wonder why it was only on one side of the road. Having a look at the Belconnen Map. There will be a Eastern Station with the existing stops outide Ginninderra College & a new stop on Eastern Valley Way after Cameron Avenue.

Would I be correct in saying that Cohen St will go under Chandler St? As going by the map it appears to be the other way round.

But it would of been funny today as Cohen Street was closed to all traffic due to an accident. So Belconnen West Bus Station would of been Out Of ACTION.

route56

The Action CEO will be speaking at the belconnen community council meeting on wednesday night about the interchange closing.

Bus 400

I am wondering wether anyone knows if each bus station will have an info desk or just a info stand.