Roads that should exist / be extended

Started by Buzz Killington, May 09, 2009, 02:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Have you ever been driving around and thought "it would be so much easier if there was a road from A to B" ?

One example: I think Soward Way at Tuggeranong should be extended around the back of Pine Island and Bonython and link up to Woodcock Drive at Gordon (perhaps at the intersection with Preddey Way).

It would really take some of the pressure off the roundabouts at Athllon/Isabella/Drakeford and Johnson/Woodcock/Drakeford, which in peak hour is something that would be of great benefit.

belcodriver

If we just paved the whole world we could drive directly to wherever we wanted.

Bus 400

Quote from: belcodriver on May 09, 2009, 03:44:31 PM

lol

Irisbus Rider

Very good observation 'belcodriver', very true.

Kuringa Dr Fraser to (James) Waterhouse Dr (or whatever it is) in Dunlop.

Buzz Killington

I should mention that there's no real need to cover planned roads, like the extension of Clarrie Hermes Dr, to meet Kuringa Dr, and the missing link of Horse Park - those go without saying.

Bus 400

or Sandford Street to Federal Highway

lukeo25

jerrabomberra ave, i know its the old monaro hwy but it should be extended to ease traffic coming through fyshwick

Bus 400

If you head towards the Monaro Highway end of Narrabundah Lane, some people already take a short cut through there to/from the Monaro Highway.

Ed

QuoteRoads that should exist
Monash Dr.

Buzz Killington

Thanks to the Greens, that's one road that we won't see, despite the obvious bonus of getting some traffic off northbourne

Barry Drive

I think there needs to be a Barton Highway - Federal Highway link road, running north of Gungahlin but south of Sutton.

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, that'd be a good idea. I could definately see the justification in that.

Bus 400

It would be good to see Sulwood Drive sent through to the Monaro Highway. The bottom end of Long Gully Road/Mugga Way could be used. But work would be required to send Sulwood Drive through the gullies to meet up with Long Gully Road/Mugga Way

lukeo25

Bus 400

Yeah, I get confused with Mugga Way & Mugga Lane, they are 2 roads close together with the same name, but have a different street type name.

smitho

Quote from: belcodriver on May 09, 2009, 03:44:31 PM
Canberra drivers (including truckies) seem to park wherever they like these days, regardless of paving or otherwise; parking control rules seem to have gone out the window, expecial for 4WDs!

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, I too have seen this, but the worst culprits, without  doubt, would have to be cabbies. People that have been to Sydney know all about this!

Bus 400

What I have noticed is that Parking Inspectors are strict at places where you pay for parking. But in locations where parking is free, they are slack.

Bus 400

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 09, 2009, 02:46:18 PM
One example: I think Soward Way at Tuggeranong should be extended around the back of Pine Island and Bonython and link up to Woodcock Drive at Gordon (perhaps at the intersection with Preddey Way).

This could also help the 18 with having to get out of Clare Dennis Avenue onto Woodcock Drive.

I know one big change that is needed. The following intersections would help other intersections in mostly peak periods:

-Drakeford Drive/Woodcock Drive/Johnson Drive. This would help traffic getting out of Gordon & Bonython.
-Erindale Drive/Ashley Drive. This would help traffic getting out of Gowrie/Monash.
-Ashley Drive/Isabella Drive. This would help traffic getting out of Gowrie/Monash/Richardson/Isabella Plains

Bus 400

Kuringa Drive, Fraser should be extended to meet with Douglas Waterhouse Drive, Dunlop.

Buzz Killington

and while they're at it, they need to straighten the road up. its a mess, especially at night even with all the reflective markings. There was a fatal there the other night.

Bus 400

Well it appears as if that curvy bit has claimed a life this morning & the road is like that due to the "precious" trees.

Irisbus Rider

Honestly, I drive through there to and from work, and I don't have a problem with that road, provided I'm doing the posted speed limit, 60km/h.

Bus 400

I thought the advisory signs are lower then that

Irisbus Rider

The corner signs are either 45/35, but just that, advisory, I always take the corners at 60 quite comfortably, minus about 10 in the wet

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Virusbus Rider on June 07, 2009, 10:45:55 PM
The corner signs are either 45/35.... I always take the corners at 60

I've just called your mother, and she's confiscating your car keys

Irisbus Rider

No!
Thats all right, I usually find here hiding spots; but some, I won't even dare to retrieve, no matter the value. What a sad sad day......

ajw373

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 07, 2009, 09:36:55 PM
Well it appears as if that curvy bit has claimed a life this morning & the road is like that due to the "precious" trees.

There are no precious tree's. The road is like that as it, like many of the 'back roads' in Gungahlin for example was only meant to be temporary. It just so happens that the original planned development that was meant to happen around the back of Fraser has never happened.

ajw373

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 07, 2009, 10:42:34 PM
I thought the advisory signs are lower then that

You said it in your own post. ADVISORY. Having lived in that area for a very long time the road is ok at the limit in good dry conditions, but any rain or idiots on the road you have to take extra care. But hey you should do that on any road anyway.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: ajw373 on June 24, 2009, 06:51:00 AM
You said it in your own post. ADVISORY. Having lived in that area for a very long time the road is ok at the limit in good dry conditions, but any rain or idiots on the road you have to take extra care. But hey you should do that on any road anyway.
Agree with you 110%, I drive down that road on the way home from work, and can easily take those curves, but definately not in the wet.