Barry Drive Buslane

Started by Bus 400, October 23, 2009, 01:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

The DA has been released for comment on the ACTPLA website. The plans can be found at http://apps.actpla.act.gov.au/pubnote/pubnoteDetail_new.asp?DA_no=200915825
It would appear if some site investigation has also begun at the site of the busway extension, with Lane 1 of City bound Belconnen Way being shut during off peak & a bit of small holes being dug into the road & in the bush to the side.

Mod Edit - Belconnen Busway is the section of road running from the interchange behind Westfield Belconnen, this is the bus lane on Barry Drive and Belconnen Way. Name has been changed to better suit topic.

belcodriver

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 23, 2009, 01:03:56 PM
The DA has been released for comment on the ACTPLA website. The plans can be found at http://apps.actpla.act.gov.au/pubnote/pubnoteDetail_new.asp?DA_no=200915825
It would appear if some site investigation has also begun at the site of the busway extension, with Lane 1 of City bound Belconnen Way being shut during off peak & a bit of small holes being dug into the road & in the bush to the side.

The traffic lights have been upgraded with a 'B' light.

smitho

As I headed north up Barry Drive mid morning yesterday, there was a very large crane lifting a long, reinforced concrete girder to be laid adjoining the Dryandra St overpass; may be this girder will carry the relocated bike lane, as it was in position this morning and was a little bit removed from the main part of the overpass.

A second concrete span girder was already in place (right next to the overpass) yesterday and it looks as if it will carry the Busway proper.

Seeing all the new cuttings along the route of the Busway, they are moving project along at an impressive pace. Million dollar question - will they allow private cars to use the Busway like they have on Adelaide Ave and Yarra Glen???

Sir Pompously

If they did then it would become a T2 or T3 lane.

Barry Drive

AFAIK, the busLANE (not a busway) will use the existing bridge over Frith Rd and the new bridge is for the cycle lane.

Bus 400

The whole project is almost complete, with mostly a thin layer of road cover needed near the Dryandra Street slip lane & lane markings.

Today the bus lane was being painted red just AFTER the Belconnen Way traffic lights, so it looks like the mistake of before isn't being repeated.

Bus 400

The Love Guru

That was dated last Friday

Barry Drive

The road works are pretty much complete. Just needs more line marking and a few painted lanes (bike lane green) and it's ready to go.

What's not complete is the bike lane bridge and the bike path alongside Barry Dr. The bridge fencing is still incomplete and the bike path needs paving.

p_stampy

Quote from: MyWay on June 30, 2010, 12:54:19 PMWhat's not complete is the bike lane bridge and the bike path alongside Barry Dr. The bridge fencing is still incomplete and the bike path needs paving.

Surely most people are riding mountain bikes?  >:D

Barry Drive

Apart from the bike path near Clunies Ross St, it looks like the work is complete. SO WHY IS IT STILL NOT OPEN?

Bus 400

Early reports are the busway is now OPEN. I did go past earlier today & the witches hat thingymabobs were being removed. There is still a little bit of landscaping to be done, but that is mainly the fence on the hill & that doesn't affect the bike lane/busway.

Snorzac

OMG!!!!! They finally opened the thing. I thought they may have been waiting for the new network to come in, they were taking so long!! It has been ready for well over a month....

smitho

Drove over it for the first time last Friday with a mid-afternoon  313 using Redex gas bus 388. Pretty good (the bus lane, that is).

Barry Drive

Now that there is a nice wide bike path beside the bus lane, cyclists are using it in both directions, even though it is illegal to do so once it becomes an on-road bike lane.

smitho

Had a close-up look at the bike lane bridge over Dryandra St the other day - when I saw the huge concrete girders being lifted into position to form what was to become the bridge, I assumed one of them was for the Bus Lane.

In fact, both girders are joined together to make up the bike lane - so no wonder it is so wide.

It must be the most expensive bike lane bridge ever built anywhere in this country!

Buzz Killington

Quote from: MyWay on September 09, 2010, 11:39:49 AM
Now that there is a nice wide bike path beside the bus lane, cyclists are using it in both directions, even though it is illegal to do so once it becomes an on-road bike lane.

Cyclists doing the wrong thing?  :pop: Surely you jest.

Bus 400

Quote from: smitho on September 09, 2010, 02:10:14 PM
....when I saw the huge concrete girders being lifted into position to form what was to become the bridge, I assumed one of them was for the Bus Lane.....

I also thought that since, where the current bus lane goes over the old bridge it narrows to the bare minimum width. Luckily I haven't been next to a bus over that bridge so I haven't been able to test this theory out.