Bus Lanes and Bus Only Lanes

Started by 743, June 25, 2010, 08:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm wondering if someone might be able to enlighten me on Bus Lanes and Bus Only Lanes in the ACT.

I know in NSW that these are technically two separate rules on a roadway. Bus Lanes accept buses, taxis and bicycles; Bus Only Lanes are, as the name suggests, for buses only.

I noticed the other day while travelling along Commonwealth Ave away from Parliament House that there's a stretch of roadway with inconsistent signage. I can't remember the specifics but I think there's a "Bus Lane Ahead" sign, then either "Bus Lane" or "Bus Only Lane" is painted on the road with "End Bus Only Lane" signposted at the end. In any case the signage is inconsistent.

In the ACT, is it the same difference as in NSW between a Bus Lane and a Bus Only Lane? Or are the two one in the same, meaning the inconsistent Commonwealth Ave signage doesn't really matter?

I know that in some places in NSW bus operators have taken inconsistent signage up with local councils and the RTA for clarification. In most instances the signage on posts or on the road ends up being redone to be consistent due to the different laws.

Ed

QuoteIn the ACT, is it the same difference as in NSW between a Bus Lane and a Bus Only Lane?

It is the same here in the ACT regarding Bus Lanes and Bus Only Lanes.

You are also right regarding the inconsistency of the Bus Lane on Commonwealth Ave (in front of Albert Hall and the Hyatt). It does state at the beginning of the lane "Bus Lane" which means buses along with taxis and motorbikes can use it but at the end of the lane it says "End Bus Only". This inconsistency needs to be looked at by Roads ACT.

Thanks Ed. Thought as much. Seems like this sort of thing happens everywhere then...