General Roads Discussion

Started by Buzz Killington, October 15, 2008, 06:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

There's often a bit of discussion on this topic, so here's a general thread for it.

The duplication of Athllon Dr between Reed St and Anketell St is pretty much finished. It's a bit of a strange layout on the Isabella bound side, with the roundabouts set over towards Bonython, they've chucked in some massive traffic islands on the left hand side and installed new bike lanes.

There's beena lot of old road signage replaced around Tuggeranong lately too..I've noticed a lot of new Green signs installed and roundabout signage.

And on another note, just why is there an extra bridge at the Glenloch Interchange? It was formerly the William Hovell to Tuggeranong Pkwy bridge, but it desnt serve any purpose now. Bit strange also that there's no direct way to get from William Hovell to Caswell Dr, and vice versa. I guess there's not much of a need for it but its still strange...

Buzz Killington

I noticed plans for an extension of Horse Park Dr at Gungahlin Marketplace the other day. They're extending it on the Casey side up to meet Burramurra Ave (Ngunnawal) which is also extending.

And a bit old, but here's the roads-based plans from the Integrated Transport Framework... I've bolded several items of note

• Upgrade of Airport roads stage 2 and Horse Park Drive extension ($15 million)
• Upgrade of Lanyon Drive and Kings Highway realignment ($8.5 million)
• Duplication of Athllon Drive, Tharwa Drive and rehabilitation of Cotter Road and duplication of Flemington Road (including dedicated bus lanes) ($35.9 million)
• Support Commonwealth to upgrade Coranderrk Street / Parkes Way intersection Morsehead Drive/ Russell Drive intersections.
• Enhance the capacity of the Road Transport Authority computer system ($5.017 million)
• Molonglo Arterial Road ($11 million)
• Complete forward design for key roads to build transport links from new and future Gungahlin suburbs of Lawson, Casey, Harrison, Forde, Jacka, Moncrieff, Amaroo, Bonner and Kenny $2.85 million Continue to invest in road safety initiatives ($1.068 million)
• Implement bridge safety initiatives ($2.4 million)
• Road safety advertising and communication program, including safety measures for on-road cycling
($1.307 million)
• Building new bus lanes and bus priority measures ($3.5 million)
• Duplication of Gungahlin Drive Extension and forward planning for Majura Parkway and Parkes Way
($83 million)
• Forward design of Majura Road rehabilitation ($0.13 million)
• William Slim Drive and Gundaroo Drive upgrades
• Off-ramp from Parkes Way to Clunies Ross Street and duplication of Clunies Ross Street (bout time!)
• Undertake city infrastructure capacity study ($0.19 million)
• Congestion modelling on Canberra central road networks
• Northbourne Avenue/ London Circuit and Barry Drive/Clunies Ross Street intersection upgrades
• Investigate the feasibility of upgrading Cotter Road to account for growth in traffic from Molonglo ($0.18 million)
• Investigate transport capacity for East – West corridor and Cotter Road Investigate transport capacity for East Lake and Eastern broadacre developments
• Investigate transport capacity to support Canberra Central growth and augment city infrastructure capacity
• Undertake road safety audits and evaluate effectiveness for major projects
• Undertake preliminary investigations into an East – West link from Kowen to Majura Road to City
• Reserve inter-town public transport corridors for Belconnen, Gungahlin and Molonglo connections.
• Construction of Majura Parkway, including connection with Northcott Drive
• Complete duplication of Gungahlin Drive Extension
• Monaro Highway upgrade
• Transport accessibility modelling and network planning
• Improving and managing roads and intersections in Canberra Central, including Northbourne Avenue, Barry Drive, Clunies Ross Street, London Circuit, Constitution Ave and Vernon Circle
• Provide an East – West arterial road connection to Molonglo development
• Upgrade transport capacity to support East Lake and eastern broadacre developments
• Investigate an East – West link from Kowen (future proposed urban development) to the City
• Progressively implement transit corridor identified between Belconnen and Gungahlin and the City
• Implement public transport priority measures along identified transit corridors
• Extend transit lane on Yamba Drive to Callum Street, Woden huh??
• Commonwealth Black Spot funding
• Refresh road safety strategy.

Also, from the Budget 08-09 Capital Projects
- Duplication of Flemington Rd
- Design Clarrie Hermes Dr extension to Barton Hwy
- Design Sandford St to Fed Hwy Extension
- Design Bonner Western Distributor
- Design Mirrabei Dr extension to Horse Park Dr
- Design Well Station Dr extension to Horse Park Dr
- Design Irving St Phillip extension - In planning for years, to bring it around the oval to Launceston St
- Construction of Molonglo north-south arterial

Land Releases
Bonner 1a 1b
Casey 2
Crace
Forde
Franklin 3
Kingston Foreshre
Molonglo 2
North Weston 1 and 2
Gungaderra (Harrison)
Woden East
Flemington Rd

Irisbus Rider

Wow, quite interesting. Although, I still think the axeing of the Monash Dr is a shame, but good to see they're still investing in Gungahlins roads infrastructure.

Buzz Killington

I don't want to alarm anybody, but our pristine Canberra Roads are being invaded by an ugly, commonplace feature from interstate.

Spotted at a heap of footpath/road intersections today, spray painted on the road in yellow, was

LOOK >

Irisbus Rider

Unfortunately people are stupid enough not to do it themselves, so it needs to be written on the road for them.

Buzz Killington

morons

Eloura Street in Civic has finally been resealed too.

Snorzac

There is a big hole on Hannaford crs in Page, who knows what they are doing there, maybe they are building the Page Terminus

Buzz Killington

i think you'll find page IS the hole of which you speak

Snorzac

No that would be Scullin or Charnwood.

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

My side of Page doesn't, the other side of my street does...here we go another Police raid on the drug house across the road, armed police are there this time.

Buzz Killington

its all Page.

Moving along now...

Bus 400

Tuggeranong Parkway northound from Sulwood Dr to before Hindmarsh has been resealed.

Work is also being done on College St & the northern entry into UC.

lukeo25

i just want to ask a very bizare question, whilst looking on street view why jerebomberra ave blocked off?

Bus 400

Well it was the old Monaro Highway. It has has to do with vandalism (http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/57240/Jerrabomberra_Avenue.pdf)

It is just like how Narrabundah Lane also joins onto the current Monaro Highway, except for a bit of dirt in between, but the ...... that live in the area use it as a short cut anyway.

Bus 400

Cotter Road is being upgraded-being widen & rebuilt in parts. This is in preparation for the Cotter Dam construction where trucks will be coming & going for 2 years & so they don't run cyclist over.

Also Tharwa Dr duplication is moving ahead alright, with the southern stretch almost complete & clearing almost completed from Johnson Dr roundabout.

Buzz Killington

It looks like they're properly duplicating the section of Athllon Dr between Anketell St (Bonython end) and Drakeford Dr too.

Bus 400

I have seen the plans for that somewhere which will include lights at the Anketel intersection. Now all they need to for Athllon Dr is to duplicate between Drakeford & Sulwood Drive.

Bus 400

A lot of resealing is planned for Kambah in the next few weeks with Sulwood Dr, Drakeford Dr & Athllon Dr all planned for a resealing.

Buzz Killington

it looks like they're putting a bike lane in on that whole length of drakeford, going by the spray markings on the road.

Bus 400

Southern Cross Dr will be extended to Macgregor West & a access road to Forde is also up for tender. With plans starting for Nurdurr Dr to be extended & the same for Lawson.

Buzz Killington

Looks like a LOT of the older (and not so old) green signs around Tuggeranong will be replaced in the next couple of weeks. You can see the red/white tape running between two temporary posts to cover the post holes, either just in front of or just behind existing signs, and maybe a few of those pink or yellow markers.

From what happened last time, the metal poles will go in first, then all the signs a week or two later.

Bus 400

Some have already been replaced, including infamous Corlette St which (when I last checked) has become Corlette Crescent

Buzz Killington

Well, the ones i am referring to are on the major arterials, not in the suburbs themselves.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 20, 2009, 11:40:00 PM
Southern Cross Dr will be extended to Macgregor West
That I don't understand, Southern Cross Dr does go to Macgregor West, just under a different name of Parkwood Rd. Anyway, the distance between Southern Cross Dr and the roundabout entry to Macgregow West is about 500m!

Sir Pompously

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 03, 2009, 05:52:12 PM
Some have already been replaced, including infamous Corlette St which (when I last checked) has become Corlette Crescent

Whhhaaaatttt? It is Corlette Cres, and always has been. It was incorrectly signed Corlette Rd, and was still like that when I went past a few days ago (However a few days can change anything).

ajw373

Quote from: Lemonbus Rider on June 03, 2009, 06:28:19 PM
That I don't understand, Southern Cross Dr does go to Macgregor West, just under a different name of Parkwood Rd. Anyway, the distance between Southern Cross Dr and the roundabout entry to Macgregow West is about 500m!

I think you will find they mean they are going to straighten it and turn it into a higher grade road rather than the simple non guttered dog track it is currently.

Irisbus Rider

Ha ha, yes, probably a good idea, considering the amount of vehicular traffic will double on that stretch.
Although, it will be missed as that's one of the few roads in Canberra that have 'character', or at least remind me of Sydney lol.

Sir Pompously

I noticed a sign today, and pointed it out to John aswell, an old Dark Green sign when heading to City West on the Commonwealth Ave offramp (Inbetween the Parkes Ave Onramp and onramp to London Cct) the Sign reads LONDON CIRT. Struck me as weird, as the abbriveation of Circuit is Cct (And have also never seen Cirt), and seems to only be that according to the Aus Post abbriviation list.

Buzz Killington

They used to use "CIRT" as the abbreviation for Circuit before CCT came about.

There used to be one in Kambah that read "CROZIER CIRCT" !