Redex: Insert Pinched Slogan Here!

Started by Buzz Killington, April 28, 2009, 06:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Media Release
New rapid transit buses every 15 minutes

Released 28/04/2009

Commuters can expect a bus every 15 minutes during peak times and every 30 minutes during off-peak times on high demand weekday routes when the ACT Labor Government trials new rapid transit buses, Chief Minister and Minister for Transport Jon Stanhope revealed today.

The Budget will provide $1 million for the new service, REDEX - Rapid Express Direct, to be trialled in 2009-10 between 6:30am and 7pm on weekdays during school terms.

Mr Stanhope said passengers and businesses would benefit from better transport access to town centresand the Parliamentary Triangle.

"This responsible investment by the ACT Labor Government will deliver more buses more frequently in peak demand periods," Mr Stanhope said. "The rapid transit buses will create the capacity for an additional 300,000 passengers travelling to major employment hubs, town centres and through the Parliamentary Triangle.

"REDEX is expectedto commence in October 2009 to coincide with the start of the 4th school term. New ACTION buses that were funded in last year's Budget, for nearly $50 million, will provide the additional bus capacity needed to deliver the services. A review of the trial and community feedback about the new services will inform the future of REDEX and its potential growth.

"The ACT Labor Government is committed to providing Canberrans with better public transport options. By increasing the frequency of our bus services we can help to address traffic congestion, reduce transport emissions and provide better access to our town and employment centres," Mr Stanhope said.

REDEX 1 will be a return service to Gungahlin, Dickson, City, Russell, Barton, Woden, Erindale and Tuggeranong. REDEX 2 will be a return service to Kippax, Belconnen, City, Russell, Barton, Woden, Erindale and Tuggeranong.

Buses will run every 15 minutes from 6:30am to 9:30am and 3:30pm to 6:30pm and every 30 minutes at all other times.

lukeo25

would it good i wonder and would it be pre-paid tickets only to speed it up, and the new ticketing system might be in force by then.

Busnerd

So I'm guessing it will mainly be the 14.5's on these runs!

But probably a mix I would assume...it doesn't mention anything about high capacity only more capacity...I supppose it is a good idea, about time we got some strange long routes with funny names to copy other city's like metrobus, red orbital etc.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Mr Snrub on April 28, 2009, 06:43:04 PM
REDEX 1 will be a return service to Gungahlin, Dickson, City, Russell, Barton, Woden, Erindale and Tuggeranong. REDEX 2 will be a return service to Kippax, Belconnen, City, Russell, Barton, Woden, Erindale and Tuggeranong.

Buses will run every 15 minutes from 6:30am to 9:30am and 3:30pm to 6:30pm and every 30 minutes at all other times.
This is the same bullshit they used with route 4. 'Buses will run every 15 minutes' - which buses? Will each route run every 15 minutes or is that a combined 15 minutes for both routes?

And don't we have a 30 minute service between Gungahlin, City, Russell and Barton every 30 minutes already? You can't run 'REDEX 1' and route 5 to/from Gungahlin at the same time - there won't be enough passengers.

Quote from: lukeo25 on April 28, 2009, 06:47:12 PM
would it good i wonder and would it be pre-paid tickets only to speed it up, and the new ticketing system might be in force by then.
New ticketing system won't be ready by October.

Buzz Killington

It's a bit hard to make comment at this stage, with only a press release to go off.

Some basic services like a true express and city loops are so noticeable by their absence that its ridiculous.

Bus 400

I've read the article in "The Canberra Times" today & in that story it mentions the Stanhope would like the REDEX buses painted a different colour (possibly red). But Mr Swift doesn't like that idea as the buses are then confined to those routes. But Mr Swift suggested specially marked REDEX bus stops for people to identify them.

With the new ticket system up & ready in 18 to 24 months (from the word of ACTION). Also the contracts have been signed for 100 new buses, including the 24 14.5's.

Busnerd

I think that the different stops are a great idea, such as a bollard that's red instead of orange for example...

Perhaps action could extend the idea to Xpresso's and have blue and orange stops!

However I agree with 'Mr Swift'. For example metrobus is always short of red buses due to them being off the road for maintenance. So they put a bus in corporate livery on the run and no one catches it because it's not red...

Bus 400

I do like that idea of special Xpresso stop signs as ACTION have put normal bus stop signs on roads that only have Xpresso services. Also "Weekend" or "Weekday" Only should of been put on stop signs. So this would bring things back to the 80's (I think).

I wonder if this REDEX thing is the reason for the left lane of Belconnen Way (City Bound) may become a bus priority lane in the near future.

Sir Pompously

Well up here in Brisbane they have signs for each different type of service for their limited stop ones. Bollards/Wings/Totems have the type of bus in red that stops there, while normal Translink J Poles have another sign the size of the ACTION yellow Bus Stop signs underneath with BUZ, Rocket or BUZ/Rocket on the same sign if both types of services stop there. I have not seen a Bullet sign as of yet. The Loop services (Downtown Loop and Spring Hill Loop) all have personalised Bollards for their stopping locations. It is a half decent idea that looks like it may make a comeback in Canberra for personalised stop signage.

And remember, MaxiZac, Xpresso's are now Brown in colour. We can have big brown bollards and signs at bus stops :P

From what I have read it sounds like a smashing idea and cannot wait to get a ride on the services, also would give me another way of getting home if I miss one of my buses! The Idea of painted buses (As Maxi has pointed out) is not overly good, as has been seen on Metrobus with plenty of non painted buses plowing the route. Maybe a few AOA buses might work better, to promote the service.

Irisbus Rider

Excellent, I like the sound of it, finally, a real express bus service between town centres, bring it on!

Busnerd

Can ACTION really warrant a limited stop service though?

Even the Xpresso's are all stops!

Irisbus Rider

If they could 20 years ago, they can today!

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on May 01, 2009, 01:00:31 PM
Excellent, I like the sound of it, finally, a real express bus service between town centres, bring it on!
No it's not. The route will (partly) be City - Russell - Barton - Woden - Erindale - Tuggeranong. That's NOT an express between town centres, it's a scenic route.

As for the claim in the media release that it serves 'high demand weekday routes' - prove it. I don't see any high demand for this service except possibly during peak and only then on some parts of the route, not the entire length. For instance, 11 already provides a 30 minute service between Erindale and Woden - and it's not exactly crowded during off-peak; the same thing for route 5 between City and Gungahlin.

If there is currently unmet demand during daytime it should be addressed by adjusting existing routes and adding new routes for any gap. One fix that could easily be done is to adjust the scheduling of routes 4 and 5 so that there is a genuine 15 minute headway between City and Russell/Barton in both directions and 30 minutes at night. Then you will have a 15-minute service to/from City to Russell/Barton.

There is currently no direct service from Woden to Barton/Parkes, or from Erindale to Tuggeranong - these are the only parts of the routes which might need implementing.

The Love Guru

Perhaps swapping the redex and 3## routes around might be a better solution. ie running redex express between kippax&belconnen/gungahlin - city- woden - tuggeranong every 10 minutes (old 333 route). Reduce the 3## routes to 10 minutes as well and go belco-city-russell-barton-woden-erindale-tuggeranong (current 300 route where aplicable).

Barry Drive

[message re-written]
My idea, similar to Chris's, is to have two co-ordinated services supplementing the intertown.

Route '301' would service Kippax - Belc - City - Woden - Erindale - Tuggeranong every 30 minutes.

Route '302' would service Gungahlin - Dickson - City - Russell - Barton - Woden every 30 minutes. This service would connect with route 11 to provide connections to/from Erindale.

Both services would connect at City Interchange (in both directions) to allow transfers.

The services would operate in conjuction with intertown routes to provide a direct service between Belconnen, City and Woden every 7½ minutes and services between Tuggeranong and Woden (direct) every 15 minutes. This would mean a reduction in intertown services since they are under-utilised at the moment.

Irisbus Rider

In retrospect, and after having some discussion about this, the ideas you two are proposing are much more viable, and better for the travelling public.

By the looks of it, my comments, and the RedEx service obviously haven't been thought out very well at all.

Sir Pompously

My idea for the redEX logo and my idea for the Slogan. The header comes from the PDF Intertown timetable, just recoloured.

Irisbus Rider

Looks Goodes of Tamut!
Very nice, hopefully ACTION will adopt this type of special signage for the new service.

Barry Drive

Another option is to consider the various segments of the route and address those using existing routes where possible. By which I mean the following:

Kippax - Belconnen - City - Russell - Barton
Modify route 710 to travel to/from Kippax in peak periods. For off peak travel, extend 318 and/or 319 to Kippax (both if you want a 15 minute service or only one if you want a 30 minute service); for travel onto Russell, Barton transfer at City.

Gungahlin - Dickson - City - Russell - Barton - Woden
Route 444 - off peak only
Since it will overlap with the current route 5 from GMP, change the route 5 to travel between City and Woden only. At evenings runs only between City and GMP (possibly with a different route number - such as 50) or else extend 51 and 52 to City in both directions.

During the day, this service can run every 30 minutes. Routes 4 and 5 can then be co-ordinated with this route to provide a service between City and Russell / Barton every 10 minutes each way.

Gungahlin - Dickson - City - Russell - Barton - Woden - Erindale
Route 445 - Peak services
AM peak some/most/all services commence at City; PM peak some/most/all services terminate at City (since Gungahlin - City is serviced by 51, 52 and 59 during peak).

Woden - Erindale
(Off peak)
Already exists. It's called Route 11.

Erindale - Tuggeranong
Extend one of 312, 313, 314 or 315 to Erindale. Not sure if this segment is necessary.

Irisbus Rider

Sounds good.

The more RedEx is discussed and thought about, the more the current structure looks to fail. Very dissapointing, as this is what Canberra needs, but it also needs to be restructured.

Bus 400

From stories I keep on hearing (which I'd prefer not repeat incase it may be sensitive-may not be though), it looks as if there may be a few problems with RedEx & some groups won't support this service. So there is something going on that may mean that RedEx may not go ahead for a few years.

Others however are pushing for the the 312-319 being replaced with the plain old 333 route.

Most of this is "depot rumour" but some things do make sense. Do others think that RedEx can come into service by Term 4 2009?

Irisbus Rider

Not if we don't have the buses by then.

RedEx is purely political, and will have to run to make the politicians look good. Remember it is a trial, and this trial will determine it's viability or not.

I do know that it won't be running via Erindale due to that difficult intersection up the street from Maccas.

Bus 400

That road that Erindale Bus Stops are on have made worse today with the road being narrowed with a traffic island being painted down the middle. But for most low floor buses to leave Erindale (southbound) they have to cross over the double lines. Also buses entering Erindale Terminus from there also have to go pretty wide & every so often you'll have a car stopped forward of the stop line & that makes it even harder.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 25, 2009, 09:42:30 PM
That road that Erindale Bus Stops are on have made worse today with the road being narrowed with a traffic island being painted down the middle. But for most low floor buses to leave Erindale (southbound) they have to cross over the double lines. Also buses entering Erindale Terminus from there also have to go pretty wide & every so often you'll have a car stopped forward of the stop line & that makes it even harder.
Hence why they don't want to send buses down there every 15 mins. Definately a good idea IMO, then it would provide Tuggeranong Interchange with a direct 15min service to Woden.

Goldstar

Redex - ex? I wonder how long it would take to get from Tuggeranong to the City via this route which goes to Erindale, Woden etc etc first? As some have described, it sounds like a scenic route - might just leave people seeing red - SceneRed? :)

Bus 400

It would work so much better if Erindale was cut out.
But I can see the need for a direct run from Woden to Barton. At the moment people that work in Barton & won't to do anything in Woden have to either wait for a 6 that goes on a scenic trip through Manuka & Red Hill. Or if they are lucky enough take a 2,3,5 & do the same thing.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 25, 2009, 08:00:06 PM
It would work so much better if Erindale was cut out.
But I can see the need for a direct run from Woden to Barton. At the moment people that work in Barton & won't to do anything in Woden have to either wait for a 6 that goes on a scenic trip through Manuka & Red Hill. Or if they are lucky enough take a 2,3,5 & do the same thing.
The last I heard, RedEx wouldn't go through Erindale.

It will definately be a while until we see RedEx, a long while.

Bus 400

I bring news that a RedEx service will begin on 16 November 2009.
Quote from: ACTION
ACTION will soon be trialling a high frequency, limited stops, rapid bus service - REDEX - between Gungahlin Market Place and Kingston Railway Station. The trial will commence on Monday 16 November and go through until 30 June 2010 (including school holidays, but not the Christmas/New Year period).
The REDEX route will travel via Mitchell, Northbourne Avenue, the City, Russell and Barton. This REDEX trial was chosen because it is consistent with one of the key routes identified within the draft Public Transport Network Plan.
The focus on one route for the trial will allow ACTION to increase service frequency to every 15 minutes between 7 am to 7 pm, Monday to Friday. ACTION's new wheelchair accessible buses will be used for the trial. These buses have internal information screens.
Customers will be able to use the bike racks on the buses and pay normal bus fares.
The REDEX buses will only stop at the designated REDEX bus stops along the route. These will be identified by a REDEX bollard. More detail regarding these stops will be provided closer to the time.
Timetables will be available from Monday 2 November 2009. Find out more...([url=http://www.chiefminister.act.gov.au/media.php?v=8585]http://www.chiefminister.act.gov.au/media.php?v=8585[/][/url])
[url=http://www.action.act.gov.au/default.html]http://www.action.act.gov.au/default.html[/][/url]
It sounds like a bit of a weird run & different to what the current RedEx desto's show. I wonder if this run is already programmed into 390-393 new screen yet?

Irisbus Rider

Thanks for the info there TP.

Via Mitchell? Does that mean 'Via Mitchell', or the single bollarded stop on Flemington Rd?

Sounds good to me, finally, a limited stops service between Gungahlin and the City, and a 15 min frequency too!

Although, Kingston Railway Station, I don't quite agree with that, It probably would be a better service if it travelled to Manuka, but, by going to the Railway Station, it allows the many residents from the Kingston Foreshore to access this service.

'I'm Excited'.

Bus 400

Here is the article in today's Canberra Times, including map & news on Woden depot.

Good to see this service won't stop at every stop on Northbourne, but I suspect the 5 will be considerably shortened & few changes to the 80 in November.

Barry Drive

Interesting. I would have liked no stops between EPIC and Antill St. Agree that Manuka should have been considered, but there is some demand for Kingston foreshore service. Not sure how well patronised a 15 minute frequency will be, especially during off peak, but that's what the trial is going to find out.

Does this mean Kingston Railway Station will finally get a driver's amenities block?

This is not too different to what I suggested the Redex route should be (see above), but of course I'm not a highly-paid transport consultant so what would I know? I would still like to see a regular direct service to/from Kippax, even if it does involve only extending the 710 during peak.

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 28, 2009, 01:31:44 PM
I suspect the 5 will be considerably shortened & few changes to the 80 in November.
Ideally the 5 should no longer travel to Gungahlin at the same time. But I doubt there will be any changes to existing routes/timetables.

This service was always going to be a add-on to existing services. Unless they change their mind, all Redex services will be segregated shifts and existing shifts will not be affected.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on September 25, 2009, 08:13:58 PM
It will definately be a while until we see RedEx, a long while.
I love my credibility there :P

Changes to the 80? The only change that should be implemented is the return to the 80 travelling down Bowen Dr (opposed to National Cct). Other than that, there's not much that I can see changing.

Buzz Killington

Timetables are out 2 November.

Improved REDEX trial to start in November

Released 28/09/2009

Chief Minister and Minister for Transport Jon Stanhope today announced a modified rapid transit network trial to better align it to the recently released Strategic Public Transport Network Plan. The trial will now operate between Gungahlin to Canberra Railway Station, Kingston, travelling via Mitchell, the City, Russell and the Parliamentary Triangle.

The new service, REDEX - Rapid Express Direct - will operate on weekdays with an improved service frequency of 15 minutes from 7 am to 7 pm. To improve travel times it will stop only at specially marked stops.

The trial, which will cost $1 million, will commence on Monday 16 November and continue until the end of June 2010.

"In preparing the draft Strategic Public Transport Network Plan the Government has consulted with leading transport planning expert Jarrett Walker from McCormick Rankin Cagney. He has advised that the trial would be effective on the route between Gungahlin to the Canberra Railway Station in Kingston via City, Russell and the Parliamentary Triangle," Mr Stanhope said.

"This aligns the trial to one of the key routes identified in the Plan and will not overlap or compete with the existing 300-series Intertown service. Restricting the trial to one route allows ACTION to run it over a longer period and with more frequent services. Services will run every 15 minutes which makes it easier for people to remember the timetable.
"The ACT Government has allocated $1 million for the trial in recognition of our commitment to providing Canberrans with better public transport options. This initiative will deliver more buses, more frequently, throughout the day," Mr Stanhope said.

Mr Stanhope said that the new service will be operated by 11 of the new 100 buses that were funded in the 2008/09 Budget, for nearly $50 million. A review of the trial and community feedback about the new services will inform the future of REDEX and its potential growth, which could ultimately include an extension to Fyshwick. If the trial is successful future expansions, to be implemented in late-2010, will focus on the Belconnen and Tuggeranong Valley areas.

REDEX will be promoted through a community awareness campaign that will commence in October.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Buzz Killington on September 28, 2009, 06:08:30 PM
REDEX will be promoted through a community awareness campaign that will commence in October.
I'd be interested to see what this consists of, if it will simply be ads on and in buses, or part of a bigger media advertising campaign.

Awareness is vital to get sufficient numbers, simply put, people won't catch a bus service they don't know exists.

Bus 400

I see the main issue in being people will start to bitch & moan because they signaled the bus from a non designated RedEx stop. Limited stop services were last seen during the old Express services of last century.

I actually think that ACTION may already have the RedEx bollards, as about a month or so ago a few of the bollards from the stops shown in the article disappeared & have temporarily been put back recently.

But I so hope that RedEx gets expanded (except for the Erindale bit)

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 29, 2009, 12:01:47 AM
I see the main issue in being people will start to bitch & moan because they signaled the bus from a non designated RedEx stop.
They'll learn pretty damn quick when every RedEx bus sails past them. Anyway, if they can't even determine the difference between a RedEx bollard and a normal orange bollard, they should even be catching the bus! No doubt; the fact that it is a limited stops service will be well advertised, so it will simply be the commuters ignorance if they don't realise.

I think the next stage should see a Kippax > Moyes Cres > Southern Cross Dr > Belconnen > Eastern Valley Way > Barry/Belconnen Way > Northbourne Av > City > Intertown route > Woden > Hindmarsh Dr > Tuggeranong Pkwy/Drakeford Dr > Tuggeranong service (A limited stops Intertown)

Then extend the trial service from the Railway Station to Woden via Kingston > Manuka > Captain Cook Cres > Jerrabomberra Av > Hindmarsh Dr > Yamba Dr > Woden.
It is late at night, and I'm sleep deprived, so it's not very well thought through, so I'm open to correction or improvement there!

On an aside, I wonder where this Redex Service will stop in City Interchange? One would assume Plat. 8 and 9 respectively.
I honestly think it should be moved out on Northbourne (with the Intertowns........ha, now I'm dreaming), as keeping out on the main road would make it easier for the average commuter to associate where the direct buses leave from. Again, I'm not typing this with a clear mind, I'm open to discussion on the matter.

Goldstar

Two points I'd like to make regarding the new RedEx services. First is that I reckon it should only accept pre-purchased tickets - no ticket sales onboard, emphasis is on express...The next one, regarding signage for the buses. I agree with the point made above that action can't afford to signwrite buses just for this service, and then have them being fixed and non-signwritten ones doing the job anyway. However, seems simple to me, use those large magnets that you see on other operators sometimes. Even something as simple as a large red rectangle across the front of the bus, or even simpler yet, a red square on the front doorside dash - nasty, but also cheap and effective - people just need an extra visual que that the oncoming bus is the one they want...

belcodriver

Quote from: Goldstar on September 29, 2009, 09:27:33 AM
Two points I'd like to make regarding the new RedEx services. First is that I reckon it should only accept pre-purchased tickets - no ticket sales onboard, emphasis is on express...

Except with the current ticketing system, a single cash fare (unless it's paid with a $50 note) is quicker than anything else including the passenger putting a pre-purchased ticket into the validator.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on September 29, 2009, 12:17:48 AM
They'll learn pretty damn quick when every RedEx bus sails past them.
No, they won't. Never underestimate the general public's capacity for stupidity.

Quote from: Goldstar on September 29, 2009, 09:27:33 AM
I reckon it should only accept pre-purchased tickets - no ticket sales onboard, emphasis is on express...
Pre-purchased only works when you have a high-demand service, no alternative routes and plenty of places to purchase a ticket from. Fails on all three counts. The best way to achieve an express service is to have no passengers - bus usually makes good time then.

Goldstar

Quote from: Martin on September 29, 2009, 01:00:22 PM
The best way to achieve an express service is to have no passengers - bus usually makes good time then.

;D

Barry Drive

This is for real - apologies for the quality - a photo of the Redex Route Map poster at the Belconnen Depot. That slogan looks vaguely familiar!

Note: Attachment has expired.

Sir Pompously

lol, I still think 'Express Yourself' (My slogan) is better, however could always be taken the wrong way.....

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Martin on October 28, 2009, 12:07:41 AM
This is for real - apologies for the quality - a photo of the Redex Route Map poster at the Belconnen Depot. That slogan looks vaguely familiar!

brb calling my lawyer

Busnerd

has someone advised action they are using our non trademarked slogan?

Bus 400

The Redex details & timetable are now up. See the route number on the online timetable.
Details can be found at http://www.action.act.gov.au/redex.html
727 seems a weird route number to picked

Irisbus Rider

Thanks for the link.

I do agree, 727 is a strange number, although, the timetable looks nice, I like the layout and the colour scheme it's in.

Bus 400

This is a bit of a different note:

Please note: Times are a guide only and subject to change throughout the duration of the Redex Trial.

Bus 400

Although the timetables are now available online, City Info Office is meant to receive the timetables on Monday. So the guy ended with they'll be due sometime mid week.

Bus 400

A ATDB member has suggested that Route number 727 was given to Redex as it runs 7am 2 7pm.

Bus 400

All the stops along the Redex route now have bollards. They just all have no timetable information in them (the new ones atleast)