Did The Route 440 Head Down Starke Street?

Started by Bus 400, April 06, 2012, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

On a recent journey through Holt I was advised of another special peg, this one is located on Starke Street near the Kingsford Smith School. Only thing is that is appears to read "Route 440 Only", now I can work out that 3 digit route numbers through Belconnen started with Network 1978 (ie the opening of Belconnen Interchange). However the only route I can find going through this part of Starke Street is Route 450. So who knows anything about Route 440?

Buzz Killington

I'm glad you asked! Here's the route directions courtesy of a July 1977 timetable (The left and rights aren't mentioned but someone familiar with the area can feel free to add those)

Route 440 - Latham to Melba via Kippax Centre and Charnwood Shops

Dalley Cres / Macrossan Cres (Northern End) / Dalley Cres / Onslow St / O'Loghlen St / Southern Cross Dr / Starke St / Hardwick Cres / Kippax Centre / Hardwick Cres / Starke St / Beaurepaire Cres / Southern Cross Dr / O'Reilly St / Osburn Dr / Archdall St / Handcock Cr / Florey Dr / Lhotsky St / Charnwood Shops / Tillyard Dr / Ginninderra Dr / Companion Cr / Kingsford Smith Dr / Verbrugghen St / Conley Dr

It appears to have been a daytime only service. The first bus departed both Latham and Melba at 9.30am and operated half-hourly until 2.30pm. The route took approximately 25 minutes.

Irisbus Rider

Ah, the mystery of this peg has been solved! I first noticed this some time ago, good to see it's history explained. A very interesting run too, and quite a frequency to match. Thanks for the info, Buzz.

Buzz Killington

Didn't realise I actually had the scan of this timetable in the Gallery:

Bus 400

I found the only other peg to mention the Route 440. It at Beaurepair 7 stop. That is the spelling on the stop.

There is also a turn around/terminus thing at the end of Conley Drive in Melba.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on April 22, 2012, 03:35:28 PM
There is also a turn around/terminus thing at the end of Conley Drive in Melba.
... which was built in the 1980s.

Bus 400

Which would of been used by Network 1982 Route 419.
So how far away was Melba Health Centre from this turn around?

The Love Guru

It was pretty much directly opposite the high school

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on April 22, 2012, 07:34:46 PM
Which would of [sic] been used by Network 1982 Route 419.
It wasn't. Turn around wasn't built until 1985-1986 ish. Most likely that 419 used Melba High School, but I'm not certain.

Bus 400

This is what the peg at Bus stop Beaurepair Cr 7 looks like:

(Shelter side)

(Roadside)

(Shelter side)