New Bus Speculation

Started by Snorzac, September 13, 2009, 10:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorzac

Quote from: MaxiZacThe screen would be on a standard length Scania Zac. Not sure if it is a K230, K270 or K280
I knew that it was a standard Scania but I was not sure whether that was something that I was meant to post or keep quiet...

Bus 400

Does anyone know why we are getting these 2 extra buses? I thought the 2 contracts were for Standard MAN's & 14.5 Scania's.

Busnerd

No idea whats happening, although the 14.5's have been rejected apparently! Idiots

Bus 400

If true, I so hope we get the MAN artics similar to what is currently on trial in Perth. They are lovely inside & no one can stand in the no standing area of the rear doors & a camera over the rear doors shows the driver what is going on at the doors. When I mention this to a few drivers they love the idea.

But who would of rejected the 14.5's? I thought ACTION Reps inspected the buses recently at CC?

Busnerd

Roads ACT apparently!

The camera over the rear doors isn't so people don't stand there, it is the modern day replacement for the rear door mirror, it  is just to monitor when people get off the bus, when it is safe for the driver to shut the doors.

I wouldn't mind if they got some NG313's...Well all they can get are Scania and MAN so it's either that or K310UA's or N310UA's - personally I'd prefer 14.5's anyday, you get so many more seated out of it than an artic.

Barry Drive

Quote from: TP 3000 on September 13, 2009, 10:08:05 PM
I thought the 2 contracts were for Standard MAN's & 14.5 Scania's.
What contracts? I haven't seen any contracts nor found any official announcement on the internet about what/how many the ACT Government is buying.

The Love Guru

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 14, 2009, 08:20:58 AM
Roads ACT apparently!

The camera over the rear doors isn't so people don't stand there, it is the modern day replacement for the rear door mirror, it  is just to monitor when people get off the bus, when it is safe for the driver to shut the doors.

I wouldn't mind if they got some NG313's...Well all they can get are Scania and MAN so it's either that or K310UA's or N310UA's - personally I'd prefer 14.5's anyday, you get so many more seated out of it than an artic.

There has been no official announcement as to what ACTION are doing in relation to high capacity buses. That said, i don't see how the 14.5's would have got authorisation for use of them on all routes. Erindale would be one area where they would be unable to negotiate the turns legally (that said, i'm not sure a 12.5m can make the turn legally either!). I'm sure ACTION could get 14.5s, however they would be restricted to certain routes and i think ACTION would find this arrangement too restrictive for shift/route/allocation purposes.

Bus 400

Isn't every bus meant to be able to every route?

I have heard a story where ACTION bought the Dart buses & then found out they were too small to be used on every run.

Maybe if ACTION go ahead with the 14.5's we might see a return of high capacity buses set on the 333...... (must of just had a day dream).

Trolleybusracer

Quote from: TP 3000 on September 14, 2009, 12:22:07 PM
Isn't every bus meant to be able to every route?

I have heard a story where ACTION bought the Dart buses & then found out they were too small to be used on every run

Still doesnt stop them, I caught one on a peak hour 5. Full Stadning by Kootara cres. and still had the bogans down Mckinlay and Stuart to load!!!

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 13, 2009, 11:35:44 PM
although the 14.5's have been rejected apparently!
I've heard the opposite, and that 14.5m buses have been approved.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on September 14, 2009, 01:41:34 PM
I've heard the opposite, and that 14.5m buses have been approved.

14.5m buses are approved in the ACT, that is correct. They are operated under permit and can only operate on the roads listed on the permit. What ACTION would be seeking is route approval for their entire network, which i very much doubt they will achieve as i can list numerous turns that these buses would not be able to complete without crossing unbroken lines at the intersections.

Busnerd

Well if they bothered to check with any other city they would notice that everywhere that has 14.5's has that same issue.

Snorzac

Martin can fill everyone in further but 390 is not an 18.310 as assumed by many of us. It is in fact an 18.320

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 14, 2009, 05:29:46 PM
Well if they bothered to check with any other city they would notice that everywhere that has 14.5's has that same issue.
This is Canberra, if it aint by the rules, it won't happen!
Grrrr, I hate it!

The Love Guru

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on September 14, 2009, 08:03:25 PM
This is Canberra, if it aint by the rules, it won't happen!
Grrrr, I hate it!

The rules are the same in NSW and i assume other states as well. 14.5s are restricted access vehicles (any rigid over 12.5m actually). Basically, if a bus over 12.5m can't do a run legally then it wont get approved. It seems that if the bus is 12.5m or less and can't do it legally, they turn a blind eye or just blame the road!

smitho

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 13, 2009, 11:35:44 PM
No idea whats happening, although the 14.5's have been rejected apparently! Idiots
mmm, that confirms my impression that no contracts had been signed off on steer tags despite all the talk....might put new (or 2nd hand) artics back in contention....the steer tags would have been a challenge getting into some of the schools we have to pick up / set down in such as Marist, Junior Boys Grammar and MacKillop Isabella to name just several.....

Barry Drive

You can end the speculation. Based on this media release, the remaining buses will be 26 Scania 'large capacity' buses.

Quote from: Jon StanhopeNew ACTION bus an Australian first
Released 15/09/2009

The first of 100 accessible and environmentally-friendly buses is now part of the ACTION fleet, Chief Minister and Minister for Transport, Jon Stanhope, announced today.

The MAN Euro 5 clean diesel bus is the first of its kind to be used in Australia and is from the first batch built in the world.

"This new bus features a low floor for greater accessibility and very importantly, the bus delivers low emissions," Mr Stanhope said.

"The bus is the latest available from manufacturer MAN Europe and is fully accessible and climate controlled. The new bus also exceeds the current Australian emissions standards. The Euro 5 standards are not due for implementation in Australia until 2011.

"Ten of the new buses will pilot service information screens providing bus stop and service information. The screens meet requirements set out in the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 for visually and hearing impaired customers.

"The MAN Euro 5 buses will be on high volume, high frequency routes across the ACTION network."

Funding of $49.5 million has been provided in the 2008-09 Budget for the purchase of 100 replacement buses over the next four financial years. Each MAN Euro 5 bus will cost approximately $460,000.

"The fleet replacement program will be rolled out over the next three years as part of the ACT Government's commitment to achieving an accessible fleet target of 55% by December 2012," said Mr Stanhope.

"The 74 MAN buses will hold 67 passengers and will progressively be delivered to ACTION with all buses in service by the end of June 2011. A further 26 large capacity buses from Scania will be delivered to ACTION from December 2009 to the end of June 2012.

"The new 74 diesel powered buses are a change from the recent purchases of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) powered vehicles in the ACTION fleet. Based on cost, emissions and vehicle capacity, diesel is the best option for ACTION's new 100 vehicles.

"The Euro 5 low emissions diesel bus is on par with emissions from CNG powered buses as a result of advances in diesel engine technology. New diesel buses also have a higher passenger capacity. For every ten diesel buses, eleven CNG buses are required.

"This is an exciting day for public transport in the ACT. I encourage Canberrans to use the new MAN Euro 5 bus and discover the convenience, comfort and style that these new buses offer."

Source: http://www.chiefminister.act.gov.au/media.php?v=8532

Busnerd

Thats good news on a few things there.

Confirmation that ten buses will have next stop display and information screens is a good trial, as they will probably end up using them on redex.

The fact they mention that 26 14.5's are hopefully still on the way!

So some good news there.

Bus 400

That media release states we are getting 100 replacement buses. I thought it was meant to be 60 replacement buses & 40 extra buses?

particleman

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 15, 2009, 04:12:04 PM
next stop display and information screens
Nice!! just like the buses in München

Will ACTION retrofit them in some of the older MANs and Scanias later down the track? That blank panel looks a little too big.

Snorzac

well they would fit and the technology is ran off the hanover desto so it is quite possible that they could be retrofitted.