MyWay+ implementation

Started by Barry Drive, April 27, 2024, 10:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

As has been revealed elsewhere, preliminary works for the implementation of the new system has begun on buses.

The promised "demonstration buses" have yet to appear, although they can't be too far away.

Since there have been no announcements, I thought I'd speculate about the roll-out: my guess is that the new system will be fully operational by the start of school term 4 (14 October).

Between now and then, we should firstly see an awareness campaign (with the demonstrator buses); this will then be followed by an enrolment campaign - the system will enable accounts to be created and new MyWay cards will be distributed.

Drivers will also need to be registered and trained on the new system prior to implementation.

Lastly, during the Term 3 school holidays, all of the buses and tram stops will have their equipment changed out. (Assuming they can all be done in two weeks.) This will probably result in free fares for two weeks and no operational real time system. During this time, any requested balance transfers will occur.

They might also extend the free fare period once the new system is functional.

Time will tell whether I get any of this right.

Feel free to add your own imaginary timeline.

Barry Drive

Two demonstration buses should have been unveiled today (812 & 813).

Here I was thinking that they would be able to remove all old equipment and install new equipment in two weeks. Instead they're planning for 6 - 8 weeks (October and November) for the system implementation. I was correct in assuming that no fares would be collected during the change-over period.

More details in the Minister's media release.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Can't believe I actually made it for once, it's been so long since I unintentionally arrived for one of these - no, I didn't know it was on, I usually find out the day after. Was just heading to ANU, and voila.

I happened to arrive just as the rain started pouring, so I took the opportunity to get a few rare rain photos without obstructions (excluding light poles)

I'll upload more photos when I get home tonight. Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but my current camera is no where near the quality of my previous, so if the photos look a little blurry it's not you.

L94UBbusfan

I would LOVE to see more photos!!! I wish I could have been there to see it in person, but I'll probably find it on my travels at some point, especially when I go on my enthusiast bus trip.

Barry Drive

Have a look at this tweet:

* notes (1): 2 readers at rear doors only applies to artics and 722-751 and 800 onwards (excluding Renaults)
(2) MyWay+ cards are not "stored value" cards

triumph

From images 812 and 813 are two of the planned four MyWay+ demo buses. Wonder which are the other two?

L94UBbusfan

I'm not 100% sure, but I would guess 814 and 815 when they are delivered. Could also be 2 of the new Scanias.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Damn, gas buses going before the last of the Renault's and some Irises, who'da thunk it.

Here's a snippet of the other photos I took, I'm sending them to Barry Drive for gallery consideration.

Bus 400

Definitely a skinnier BDC. 

I wonder if the buses on the new system will show up on the real-time apps. 

I assume the data feed will be different between the 2.

Barry Drive

The new "BDC" basically replaces the NXTBUS console - since the system doesn't issue paper tickets, there's no need for a console with an inbuilt printer.

I'm assuming one of the purposes of the MyWay+ "demonstration" is to test (and calibrate) the real time / tracking functions. It would make sense to also test if it reports correctly on apps, but that wouldn't be a high priority yet.