Orange East Fork Station

Started by Bus 400, July 05, 2011, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

Below are some photos I took at an abandoned rail yards at the Orange East Fork a few weeks ago. There appears to be quite a bit in this fenced off (with open gate) area including an old medic building & a train spin around thingy (the word escapes me right now). I am in the process of gaining entry into these yards to see a bit more. All these photos were taken from the right side of the fence.

This is the Orange East Fork Station, this station is on the Broken Hill line & as a such is serviced by the 26+ carriage Indian Pacific service.

This is looking east towards the Orange Fork & the Main West Line.

What looks to be an old medic building.

These next few are of a few old carriages just sitting there waiting for the low lives to ruin them.

Like I said above, I hope to gain access to this place in the coming months to preserve this area in photographs. I have started by sending an email to the Australian Rail Track Corporation trying to find out who owns/runs the Broken Hill line.

The sad thing is that I lived in Orange for 6 years & have visited here every few years after that & never knew this place existed.

smitho

I think the word you're after is TURNTABLE - the thingy that turns locomotives (and carriages, if necessary).
There is one at the Canberra end of the Queanbeyan yard - the old human push variety.
The 'medic' building @ Orange East Fork is an old Railways barracks building - for accommodating train crews overnight. They are dotted all around NSW.
Commonwealth Railways built one in the ACT around 1969, just south-east of the Station. As far as I can tell, it is still used for some purpose, but Countrylink people tend to stay at a Kingston motel.
I've caught the Westbound INDIAN-PACIFIC @ East Fork a few times, before the outward extension was made to the platform - used to be a very narrow affair as you can tell from your photo. All the other overnight sleeper trains (Mails) used to go in to Orange Station proper as did the COMET and Daylight Expresses.

Sir Pompously

CountryLink use the railway Barracks for staff on a night arrival, morning departure. They did use Kingston Terrace Apartments for the day arrival, next day day departure.

Platform is similar to the one at Eungai, good to see the old one is still there though.