The Trolleybuses of Welllington

Started by Sir Pompously, February 21, 2010, 06:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

Alrighty, this is what I posted on the ATDB. Some may have seen it, as it is in the NZ forum I would probably say not.

A big thanks to Trolleybusracer who took time out of his busy schedule to take me around Wellington by train and bus on my very short trip!

The thing I loved is the Trolleybuses. Being extinct in Australia, it was good to actually ride on something which I have heard a little about but never actually experienced. The whirr of the traction motors and the clanging of the poles is something I am already missing from my usual agenda of PR100.2s, Irisbus Agoralines and Scania CNG's. Here are some photos from running around on the Trolleybuses, wired and un-wired.

This is all about the Trolleys, more buses to follow as I enter in information about them.

My Go Wellington Trolleybus Album can be found on my Flickr! http://www.flickr.com/photos/kommissar_todd06/sets/72157623464709392/

365 is being returned to the wires after running a short section on battery power due to overhead wiring works at Lyall Bay

335 is running down Rua Street in Lyall Bay. This driver asked why we were taking photos, after TBR explained about buses travelling un-wired she looked at us strangly after asking do we get payed, and replying no. I guess we are but strange to some!

The very nice interior of a trolley, love the seat pattern!

348 exits the Bus Tunnel

367 turns the corner from Dixon Road with a Scania K270UB following behind

332 is seen on Dixon Street in its striking GO2 livery, however the Magna got in the way on this shot. It popped up here and there but never with good timing for a photo. Next time, though.

302 climbs the hill in Kingston

Look at me, no wires!

348 runs on battery to the Lyall Bay Terminus and is seen on Lyall Parade

A Rear view of 335 seen out of the wires on Lyall Parade

363 climbs on battery into the Mt Victoria Tunnel due to overhead wiring being down inside the Bus Tunnel near to here

Buzz Killington

:WOW:

I haven't really looked into the Trolleybus scene, so thankyou for providing a bit of insight, Sir Pompously. Great photographs and I hope you enjoyed the trip.

Irisbus Rider

Choice pics!

Wellington is most definately a city I'd get obsessed with, it looks like a beautiful place, it reminds me of the Northwest USA, Seattle, Portland, around there.

Thanks for the pics, they're corkers!

Trolleybusracer

I Must Add that the last picture the Tunnel WAS wired about 30 years ago, this would be one of the first trolleybuses through the tunnel under its own power in near 30 years!