December 03, 2021, 09:20:01 AM

Recent posts

Pages 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
News / Re: Budget 2021-22
Last post by Bus 400 - October 13, 2021, 10:40:47 PM
Could a couple more Hinos be purchased for a Whitlam route? 

New suburbs are always going to be built & now non-SNT/flexible bus drivers can drive them now.
Last post by Barry Drive - October 13, 2021, 11:30:24 AM
Quote from: narc855 on October 11, 2021, 06:27:05 PMIn assuming, 904 Belconnen to Whitlam via Coulter Drive.
I think this is the most likely. Considering all Renaults will need to be withdrawn in 14 months from now, there's no likelihood of any fleet growth, so route changes next year will have to be minimal.
Infrastructure / Re: Infrastructure Discussion
Last post by Barry Drive - October 13, 2021, 11:25:00 AM
Quote from: Bus 400 on August 20, 2021, 07:35:03 PMWhile a DA has been previously released, a tender has gone out to replace the drivers facilities at Fraser West Terminus.
A contract has been awarded. Work is to commence shortly and is expected to be completed after 10 weeks.

Not sure what they will do before the new stop as mentioned above is installed, even though not many people catch buses from Fraser West.
Last post by Sylvan Loves Buses - October 12, 2021, 10:44:09 PM
In my opinion I feel the route 32 is too long of a route. Once Whitlam becomes part of the network I could see a new route doing parts of the 32 working somewhat better than what it is now.
Most likely a loop service and something along the lines of this:
My idea would allow easier access to the Belconnen Markets, Bunnings and other various Phillip-like stores around the other side of Belconnen again - for which during my scooter travels around this area I have noticed some spots for which bus stops once were. A connection at Cook shops for the travelers coming from the City if connecting at Belconnen is too annoying.
Last post by Snorzac - October 12, 2021, 10:31:04 PM
I think having the City to Belconnen via John Gorton Drive is a viable option at some stage in the future however I wouldn't want to have this rapid service branching off into both Denman Prospect and Whitlam, having points along John Gorton where passengers can make an easy transfer to a "local service", similar to the light rail and Nullabor Ave might be a smart way to go about it. 

There is currently early plans to replace the current low level crossing of the Molonglo River with a dual carriageway bridge however this is very early on in the design phase from what I can gather with a quick google search, I think regardless at some point, likely before the bridge is built this service will be required, maybe a turn around can be arranged after the last stop before the crossing for buses to turn around on John Gorton to use the Tuggeranong Parkway when required?
Last post by triumph - October 12, 2021, 08:28:29 PM
Quote from: Bus It on October 12, 2021, 02:06:47 PMI'd like to see them reroute the R10 from Civic to Belconnen via Denman & Whitlam. The only issue is Coppins Crossing is not the most bus friendly road around. That being said, I've seen plenty of busses use it returning to depot before.

I would suggest that the issue with Coppins Crossing is the potential for service interruption and hence unreliability rather than negotiability.
Last post by Bus It - October 12, 2021, 02:06:47 PM
Quote from: narc855 on October 11, 2021, 06:27:05 PMIn assuming, 904 Belconnen to Whitlam via Coulter Drive.
I'd like to see them reroute the R10 from Civic to Belconnen via Denman & Whitlam. The only issue is Coppins Crossing is not the most bus friendly road around. That being said, I've seen plenty of busses use it returning to depot before.
Last post by narc855 - October 11, 2021, 06:27:05 PM
Quote from: Bus 400 on October 10, 2021, 07:00:41 PMThe question will be, where will this run? Will it go from Belconnen or Woden or run between the 2?
In assuming, 904 Belconnen to Whitlam via Coulter Drive.
Last post by Bus 400 - October 10, 2021, 07:00:41 PM
Quote from: Barry Drive on October 10, 2021, 12:50:59 PMSo look forward to a bus route to Whitlam next year.
The question will be, where will this run? Will it go from Belconnen or Woden or run between the 2?
Last post by Barry Drive - October 10, 2021, 12:50:59 PM
Quote from: narc855 on October 07, 2021, 01:39:14 PMAnother news, we may even have an electric fire truck before we have an electric bus...https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7453460/electric-fire-truck-a-national-first-for-canberra/

And they said the 34 buses will be arrived by the end of this year, which seems unlikely to happen now...
It's actually a plug-in hybrid. Operates mostly on battery power but has diesel engine(s) to charge the batteries (if required) and to operate pumps.

Don't think there's any chance of 34 buses arriving this calendar year, but good chance that all or most will be this financial year. When they ordered the previous 40 Precision / Scanias, the contract was signed in August and delivery commenced in November. Depending on how far advanced their negotiations are, we might see something this year - maybe a couple of Custom Denning Elements and a few diesels. (Speculation only.)

There is now a media release regarding the budget -

QuoteMinister for Housing and Urban Development Yvette Berry said connecting the new suburbs of Molonglo Valley to our active travel network is a high priority as more residents come to call the Molonglo Valley home.

"We want Molonglo residents to have the option of taking more sustainable forms of transport, and the ACT Government will continue to deliver the infrastructure and services this growing region needs to be better connected with the rest of Canberra," Minister Berry said.

The Government will also strengthen public transport links to the Molonglo Valley with investment in new bus services announced for Whitlam due to commence in 2022 to provide a public transport option for new residents.

"With new investment in strategic transport corridors, active travel and public transport, we are making the future-focused investment in infrastructure necessary to support a more sustainable transport future for Canberra," said Minister Steel.

So look forward to a bus route to Whitlam next year.
Pages 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10