Recent posts

Food and Retail / Re: KFC
Last post by Stan butler - June 08, 2022, 07:58:20 PM
It's been so very quiet here lately, so I guess I better put something out there that may lighten up the forum.....

Anyway, it appears kfc in gunners is undergoing a renovation - or gasp, it might be closing.  Where is our KFC fanboy (Toyota Camry)?  He probably knows the full goss.
Photo of the Month / Re: June 2022
Last post by Barry Drive - May 28, 2022, 12:25:40 PM
Voting has commenced.
Photo of the Month / Re: June 2022
Last post by narc855 - May 26, 2022, 08:45:38 PM

488 on light rail replacement service

517 and 712 on light rail (R1) replacement service

333 on route R7 to City West
Photo of the Month / POTM June 2022
Last post by Barry Drive - May 20, 2022, 09:50:53 AM
Voting is now underway, but here is the usual introduction:

Photo of the Month rules –

● two* photographs may be submitted by each member, provided they have not been submitted before

◦ * This month we are seeking photos of Buses with their route number contained within their fleet number[1]. If you submit a photo meeting this criterion, you may post up to three photos but you may only submit a maximum of 2 photos of the same bus.

● photos must be "owned" by the person submitting it (if not, you must have the permission of the photographer to submit the photo - and identify the photographer)

● photos must be have taken legally - ACT Bus does not encourage or condone trespassing, and we encourage Covid-safe practices

● submitted photographs must prominently feature:

◦ public transport infrastructure (such as bus stop, bus station, bus depot, Light Rail line, tram depot) within the ACT / Queanbeyan region (location must be specified)

and/or

◦ a bus, tram or support vehicle from the ACT or Queanbeyan (taken within the region or a former ACT/Queanbeyan bus) where -
    ▪ the vehicle is in focus
    ▪ the fleet or registration number is identifiable (or supplied by photographer if not visible in photograph)

● photos narrower than 640 pixels will not be accepted

If possible, please supply date or month of photo.

Refer here for full ACT Bus photo submission conditions.

Photos can be submitted by replying to this forum topic and attaching the image; to ensure consistency, photos must be displayed with a width of 640 (or height of 640 if a "portrait" aspect) - photos larger than 640 are required to use the option width=640 or height=640 in the image tag. For example: [img width=640] instead of [img].

To submit photos from Instagram, you must post a reply with a caption and paste the URL of the Instagram image. Photos not publicly visible cannot be submitted. We will not accept unhosted photos - they must be stored on a photo hosting site (such as Instagram, Flickr or Facebook).

Submissions close midday 28 May, Australian Eastern standard time, unless fewer than 6 photos have been submitted. Voting will commence soon afterwards and will close 1 June.

The winning photo will be loaded to the actbus.net website and posted to ACT Bus on Facebook and Instagram. The winner and runner(s)-up will also be included in the Photo of the Year vote. By submitting a photo, you are giving permission for it to be loaded onto the ACT Bus Gallery, and Facebook and Instagram pages.

Note:
1 - the bus route number must be legible, and the numbers of the bus route must be contained within the fleet number of the bus. So, for example, if the bus is 459, the eligible routes could be R4 R5 R9 45 54 & 59.
Routes and Timetables / Re: Route / Timetable discussi...
Last post by Snorzac - May 10, 2022, 06:56:25 AM
That's what they do? Major changes happened in 1998, 2008 and 2019....the timetable itself needs to change every time the network does otherwise you gain too many in-efficiencies and have buses dead running all over the place. 

Likewise with an evolving city you need ti be open yo adjusting routes to accommodate changes, you can't add a new run for every new suburb, so existing runs need to be adjusted over time...
I mean generally, like what we use to have. Keep the same network for a few years and add routes to new areas where/when necessary.
Routes and Timetables / Re: Route / Timetable discussi...
Last post by Snorzac - May 09, 2022, 10:47:41 PM
Whilst I agree that interim timetable is frustrating, with an ever evolving and changing city it is impossible and unrealistic to have the same timetable/network for 5-10 years...
Quote from: triumph on May 09, 2022, 09:28:15 PMWaiting for a TT change is highly desirable but not compulsory.

A timetable change would definetely influence my vote for the next election. Having to carry and go between 4 different timetables depending on what day of the week it is can be quite annoying - especially as I often don't know when the school terms end while I have my brain wrapped around the ANU schedual.

Instead of:
1 - School Interum Timetable - Renault bliss (which includes 47)
2 - Network 19 timetables for Sundays and to view the maps cuz the there's no new timetables
3 - School Holiday Interum Timetable aka the 2020/2021 Christmas Timetable - thank god I kept several copies
4 - and the Saturday Timetable I don't have cuz it's online or at interchanges only.

It should just be one ffs, or weekday/weekend like it was before.
They should also make one that's perminant for at least half<full decade. The biggest gripe I've noticed people always complaining about is how often it changes.
Infrastructure / Re: Turner Layover
Last post by triumph - May 09, 2022, 09:28:15 PM
Quote from: Barry Drive on May 09, 2022, 10:38:52 AMAs mentioned in the Network 2021 topic, Turner Layover can't be used without a timetable/network change because several routes currently commence from "City West" (Marcus Clarke St). Presumably these routes will instead commence from Rimmer St.

The next available opportunity for this network change is the start of Term 3 (July).
Yes, very probable, but...

Has there been any statement by TC or the Minister that City West starting point will move to Rimmer St.? Certainly seems logical. But this will reduce services to that part of City West to just the National Museum route, until the Light Rail is operational.

Just an 'opportunity'. That will be over half a year since the Turner site was visually usably completed. There appears to be no actual physical reason why the Turner layover couldn't have been put into use already and the City West starting point retained (temporarily?). Just double back via Marcus Clarke, a cross street into London Circuit, and University Ave. Alternatively there is no absolute constraint to changing to Rimmer St from City West at any time. Waiting for a TT change is highly desirable but not compulsory. After all, services are interfered with for construction reasons at the drop of a hat.