The Weather Thread

Started by Irisbus Rider, December 06, 2007, 09:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

There has already been a storm in Canberra that lasted for over 2.5 hours & at my place we received just over 20mm rain. It sounds like another one is coming & should be here in the next little while.

Sir Pompously

Well, so much for that washing I put on the line before I left for work.....

Buzz Killington

don't worry, i'm sure your leotards will dry just fine if you hang them on the clothes airer.

bubzie

unless i fail at reading bom website correctly, 24mm at isabella?

...it looks like it too!

Sir Pompously

Isabella my foot, the station is in Monash (Just behind Goodwin Village)!

And yes, 24mm would be correct. There was a massive industrial sized puddle which washed the underside of my car down the road from me, was the biggest I have seen it.

Buzz Killington

near the shops? that one was pretty much covering the turning lane and the whole side of the road!

Sir Pompously

Thats the one! The drainage is poor at that one point, I don't remember it happening before this year (Me thinks the Government needs to come and clean out the drain).

Buzz Killington

nah, why bother. gives me something fun to drive through.

Bus 400

I wonder how the one on Athllon Drive is (southbound just before Mawson Drive turnoff), that one can be fun when you're doing 80k's an hour & not expecting it.

Bus 400

If anyone is interested in how the river levels are after recent rains, if you go to http://www.bom.gov.au/hydro/flood/ & click on what state you are after & zoom in on certain areas you are able to see the most recent recorded river height for that area. For info on the Murrumbidgee River Catchment, you have to click a bit to the west of Canberra (Junee area).

Bus 400

Came through from Eden today, showers on & off at the coast. Had snow blowing around in between Brown Mountain & Nimmitabel (whenever we were above 1000 metres). A continuous shower from Brown Mountain to Canberra.
I heard reports in Cooma that the road to Thredbo/Perisher was to be closed due to snow & the fact that the snow plows were in storage till next season. That doesn't make much sense to me though.

Bus 400

A bit of a thunder storm has just swept across the bottom end of the Tuggeranong Valley. When I last saw the storm it was mostly a lot of bright lightning with Kambah being on the edge. But further down had the heavy rain (sadly).

Bus 400

I don't know if anyone noticed the big black clouds over the mountains this afternoon.

Well a warning went out for Flash Flooding in the mountains & it was spitting in Kambah at 15:15, but the wind changed & the rain went back out west & dissipated.

Irisbus Rider

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN65156.shtml - Expect this warning to cover the ACT eventually, as we have a cell moving over the west of the ACT, heading in a northerly direction.

We should expect unsettled weather over most of the evening, with the possibility of more storms developing.

Bus 400

The storm is west of Kambah at the moment. Watching the radar it will cover the suburban parts of the ACT. Luckoily the mountains are getting a drenching for a second day in a row.

Bus 400

The baby storm has now gone, as per yesterday the mountains got more of the storm that in town.

Buzz Killington

It did look slightly menacing yesterday arvo, a bit of thunder too. But I was out in Civic until about 11 and it was still very nice and mild by that time.

Irisbus Rider

It fell apart like a Chinese motorcycle yesterday, it was very dissapointing.

Expect more of the same today, might be more interesting with the higher temps though. 31.7C in Mitchell ATM.

Buzz Killington

26.3 in Tuggeranong (and Civic) according to the BOM

Bus 400

Bus 400

Severe Thunderstorms are likely in this region from the Victorian border all the way up to Yass/Goulburn & as far east as the coast.

Thunderstorms are likely from Yass/Goulburn up to Orange & as far east as Wollongong

With only a chance of storms in Albury/Wagga up to Scone & Northern Sydney.

In the ACT there is a 80% chance of lightning during the day with a 30% chance during night. Low to Medium Fire Danger for tomorrow.

Buzz Killington

It was pissing down at about 1.30 this morning. Woke me up!

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, a cell formed over the mountains at about 10-11pm, and travelled all the way to the coast. Had a bit of lightning and thunder apparently.

It was a very warm one today, fingers crossed for some afternoon/evening storms, but a lot of factors are working against that ATM.

Buzz Killington

There's a bit of lightning down this way at the moment

Bus 400

Weather Forecast 03/11/09

Moderate turbulence from 18:00 (tonight) to 06:00
Moderate/Severe turbulence from 06:00 to 18:00

Max of 28 in Tuggeranong & Fairbairn
Min of 17 in Tuggeranong & Fairbairn

Humidity of 59%
Fire Danger Rating-Very High

Cloud increasing with the risk of isolated showers and thunderstorms during the afternoon. Areas of raised dust
with fresh and gusty northwesterly winds.

That's the highlights

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

The forecast was issued at 15:15 & some details are in effect from 18:00 (6pm) today.

Bus 400

A lightning show is coming up from the south at the moment. Heavy rain over the Tennant Range with a slight chance of making Canberra.

Also the Murrumbidgee River is quite high up & brown

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 12, 2009, 08:33:47 PMAlso the Murrumbidgee River is quite high up & brown
I love the scientific terminology used there!

Buzz Killington

39 degrees today!  :pop:

Irisbus Rider

Spare a thought for our friends in Bourke, who sweated it out through temps of 46.6C. Sydney still sweltered, with a top of 42.2C in Penrith. Locally, we can expect temps to remain warm over the weekend, but not what we have seen today (thankfully!).

Buzz Killington

I don't have friends in Bourke, and chances are you don't either.

Quite a mild morning too. I was up at 5.15 and it was 20 degrees. Very overcast and a nice breeze - perfect morning for a bit of exercise, so I went for a ride around the lake. (Lake Tuggeranong that is)

Sir Pompously

Supposed to be 29 today in Sydney, lovely ay for a BBQ and a swim in the local pool. John will find out, if he decides to come to Mathews Party......

Busnerd

Apparently John has decided not to come, for no reason at all. Thankyou John

Busnerd

Lol, obviously we wrote that when you lied and said you weren't coming, even though you surprised me and turned up anyway :P

The Love Guru

Quote from: MaxiZac on November 21, 2009, 02:59:02 PM
Apparently John has decided not to come, for no reason at all. Thankyou John

I'll just go and grab you a kleenex

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: MaxiZac on November 22, 2009, 07:17:42 PM
Lol, obviously we wrote that when you lied and said you weren't coming, even though you surprised me and turned up anyway :P
It's all part of the grand plan lol.
LOL @ Chris' response!

Amazing weather conditions today with sweltering temps (42C) in Sydney, cold temps in Broken Hill (19C), flooding in Melbourne and strong winds here in the ACT region. Climate change anyone?

Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington

John'd have to be enthused with the weather out there this arvo..

Irisbus Rider

Haven't been outside today. I'll take a look (at bom.gov.au, CBF rolling over to the window and opening the shutters :P )

Busnerd

Irisbus Rider

Aaaaages ago. You've seen them lol. Oh, and Lolz at your avatar :P

Unlike Snow Patrol, I don't 'Crack the Shutters', but I do crack the shits every time I hear that damn song! Stupid Mix.........

It was definately an interesting day for weather today, very warm, and the approaching cloud getting more and more dense, and eventually providing us with a few storms. I'm just glad we didn't get yet another duststorm.

Buzz Killington

QuoteJanuary stops mucking around
SARINA TALIP

After a mild start to the New Year, a four-day heatwave is set to descend on the ACT today giving up an ugly set of numbers.

The mercury is expected to soar to 36 degrees today, it's predicted to hit 37 tomorrow and Monday, and Tuesday will be a shocker at 39degrees, perhaps even higher.Bureau of Meteorology Canberra office meteorologist Senaka Wijekoon said the average temperature for Canberra in January was 28 degrees.

''The last time we had four [consecutive] days of above 35 degrees was in February last year,'' he said.

And since the bureau began keeping records in 1939, only 14 such heatwaves had struck Canberra.''Four days in a row of 35 degrees is certainly not common,'' Mr Wijekoon said.

A high-pressure system moving across the Tasman Sea towards New Zealand was to blame.

''So that's driving these hot northerly winds over us and they're coming from the interior of the continent,'' he said.

''The winds will actually pick up a little bit towards the Tuesday ... and that's why the temperatures are going to hit 39 degrees.''ACT Rural Fire Service chief officer Andrew Stark said there was a possibility of a total fire ban on Monday or Tuesday ''depending on the final forecast''. The late spring rain and the rain that fell at the Christmas weekend meant the level of grass growth in the ACT was at its most vigorous since ''the late '90s''.''And this hot weather takes all the moisture out of those grasslands and cures them, which means that they become more volatile and burn with a lot more intensity if a fire does come,'' he said.

Canberra isn't suffering alone. Fire crews across South Australia and Victoria are on high alert today and record temperatures in Western Australia yesterday were being blamed for the deaths of 100 rare black cockatoos.

A trough passing through the capital on Tuesday night should bring the mercury down to a more comfortable 31 degrees on Wednesday and to 25 degrees on Thursday.

ACT Ambulance's deputy chief, David Dutton, said in heatwaves it was often the prolonged exposure to extreme heat over a number of days that could cause illness or even death. ''[Most people] can handle one hot day, two in a row, not so good, three, four, that's when it can really start taking a toll on people.''He said symptoms of heat exhaustion include nausea, headaches, faintness, dizziness, weakness, vomiting and loss of sweating.

''If they stop sweating that's a real danger sign,'' he said. ''People should call triple-0.''Elderly people, young children and babies, as well as people who were ill, were most at risk.Mr Dutton urged people to check on family, friends and neighbours at risk a couple of times a day. He also wanted to ''hammer home'' the important message of never leaving children alone in the car.

For the record, the forecast for the next few days is currently:

Sunday       Fine, mostly sunny         Min 18 Max 37
Monday       Fine and sunny.                   Min 18    Max 37
Tuesday      Fine, mostly sunny.               Min 20    Max 37
Wednesday    A few showers developing          Min 20    Max 33
Thursday     Becoming mostly fine              Min 12    Max 25
Friday       Mostly fine.                      Min 12    Max 30
Saturday     Mostly fine.                      Min 12    Max 30

Still, could be worse. Adelaide has 43 tomorrow and Monday, and hit 42 today.

:WOW:

Irisbus Rider

It's still 31.6C at this very moment. It looks as though not a whole lot of sleep will be had tonight.........

lukeo25

I'm still awake, its too hot 4 me 2 sleep :( 

Barry Drive

According to WeatherZone, last night's minimum was 24.4°C at 6am (at Canberra Airport). Tonight is forecast to be 19° at 9pm and 16° at 6am.

Buzz Killington

I managed to sleep, but woke up feeling very hot this morning.

The hottest night in 20-something years apparently.

lukeo25

I only got to sleep at 4.30 then i woke up at 8.45 :( because of my sister and my dad cleaning her room, its nice and cool now and the sky looks like it wants to pour down with rain 

Snorzac

I'm back down the coast and last night i slept 10pm to 12pm, a nice 14 hour sleep :-)