Farewell, Jim Murphy

Started by Sir Pompously, May 27, 2011, 11:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

News from the Canberra Times about Jim Murphy who has suffered a heart attack in Sydney. I will miss his ad's, informing me if I buy a certain amount of plonk I will end up with a free magnum (of which when I was young I always thought it meant the ice cream.....).
Capital loses wine king Murphy
BY JAMES BUCKLEY AND CHRISTOPHER KNAUS
27 May, 2011 06:22 AM
Leave your tribute in the comments section below.

Much-loved Canberran and iconic wine merchant Jim Murphy died yesterday after suffering a heart attack while recovering from liver cancer surgery in Sydney.

The 63-year-old had been diagnosed with cancer of the bile duct six weeks ago, and had undergone risky surgery at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital on Tuesday.

Mr Murphy recovered from the surgery well, and he was moved out of intensive care with a positive prognosis yesterday, accompanied by his wife Margaret.

But about 6pm, he suffered a massive heart attack and passed away.
More: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/capital-loses-wine-king-murphy/2176680.aspx

smitho

The ubiquitous Jim Murphy!

Like Eddie Maguire, I'm used to seeing him everwhere you go around Canberra. (Maybe he had clones made of himself!)

A great bloke by all accounts - his adverts on TV were real gems. He'll be sadly missed 

Busnerd

Personally I always made fun of his ads, and as a younger individual when he said "and get a free magnum with every bottle purchased" I was always like, why is he giving you ice cream for buying wine? I later found out that magnum was a size/type of wine!