New Cycle Path Signage

Started by Buzz Killington, June 30, 2009, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

I've noticed recently a bunch of metal signage poles being installed around the off-road sealed cycle paths, where they meet the roads.

Today it looks like they've started putting signs on them - Street Signs to indicate which street the cyclists have come to, as well as the distance to various locations - the same as those on Barry Drive and Northbourne Ave.

I'm not much of a cyclist but its good to see that these cyclist (And walkers/joggers/runners too I guess) features are being extended into the suburbs

Sir Pompously

Sweet, will be good to get photos of. I will now also have to get photos of the old Brown and Yellow directional and information signage around older bike paths.

smitho

Quote from: Sir Pompously on June 30, 2009, 06:16:32 PM
Sweet, will be good to get photos of. I will now also have to get photos of the old Brown and Yellow directional and information signage around older bike paths.

Curiously, the new signs are quite a fair bit higher and larger than the earlier brown signs - as a cyclists, I'd say they are probably a bit too high to be of practical benefit in many cases.

Most cyslists tend to adopt a head down stance for much of the time. I wonder if the signage contractors had any discussions with Pedal Power, who could offer practical advice on such things as sign height and whether there is a real need for such things.

These signs carry a degree of safety/accident risk with them, just as with roadside signs (the motorcyclist fatality at Erindale a few months ago hit a road sign). 

You'd also have to wonder what the point of many of them are, as they are often located close to the numerous huge roadside directional signs intended for motorists. Is it another case of being seen to be Doing Something for a "worthy" cause (cycling)?