Bunker shelters

Started by smitho, July 12, 2009, 06:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

While doing a 960 South this am, I noticed two relocated bunkers have been erected at the most westerly stops on the road where you do a left turn from the Kambah Pool Road (road name starts with F). The one on the Tuggeranong bound side of the road is still labelled Gundaroo Drive.

A passenger who boarded at the "Gundaroo Drive" shelter quizzed me as to why it was labelled Gundaroo Road as that is not the correct name of the street. She was also concerned that the builders had located the orange landing pads too far away from the shelter; she said most drivers were stopping at the shelter and not at the landing pad. She then went on to explain her family's connection with the township of Gundaroo!

Bus 400

The new bunker shelter on Drumston Street, Isabella Plains looks quite nice with a paint job & a nice new bus stop pad.

I'll check out Kambah tomorrow, but the only roads that you turn left from Kambah Pool Road are Barritt Street & Sulwood Drive. But it would have to of been Barritt Street as the stops on Sulwood Drive were recently done up with a shelter & Barritt Street stops didn't have any shelters before. I hope you did go the right way on your 960

Buzz Killington

It would be Barritt Street that you're referring to Smitho. If you were heading South, you would turn left onto it at the roundabout on Kambah Pool, and follow Barritt to the end, and turn right into Boddington in front of St Thomas Primary.

I drove thru Kambah on Friday Night on a whim (used to live there), but didn't go up Barritt. There were no additional shelters on Boddington or O'Halloran.

And finally, I think I speak for everybody when I say we're dying to know about the woman's Gundaroo connection.

smitho

Ah yes, Barritt, that's the name. The 60 / 960 is one of those easy routes you can almost do on auto pilot, just recognising the look of streets to do the correct lefts and rights.

P.S.
Some drivers can remember routes by street names while others (I suspect most) mainly go by appearances and landmarks, as I mainly do.

But to help passengers, it pays to have the lefts and rights handy in case they ask about a particular street.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 12, 2009, 06:38:46 PM

And finally, I think I speak for everybody when I say we're dying to know about the woman's Gundaroo connection.

The story of her Gundaroo connection - it's all pretty boring, really and truly!

Bus 400

Here are the shelters that smitho is talking about. These 2 are at the top end of Barritt Street, Kambah. The other 2 stops in Barritt Street have also been given bus shelters as has one on Hindmarsh Drive RIVETT.

Woden Bound

Tuggeranong Bound

smitho

I think the other bunkers in Barritt St have been there for a fair while, TP....or do you reckon they've just been put in at the same time as the ones at the 'top' end of Barritt?

Bus 400

Going Google Maps Streetview, they were only recently put in.. They do look like they have been repainted.

Buzz Killington

depends how long you mean by "A while" smitho - last time i drove down Barritt was probably 3-4 weeks ago and they weren't there then.

I lived rather cfoseby to Barritt for nineteen years so I know my Kambah West!

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 15, 2009, 07:01:53 PM
depends how long you mean by "A while" smitho - last time i drove down Barritt was probably 3-4 weeks ago and they weren't there then.

I lived rather cfoseby to Barritt for nineteen years so I know my Kambah West!
That's good then - the Barritt St mob seem to make pretty good use of their bus services and deserve decent shelters.

P.S. I noticed this week that none of the bunkers which were in store near the Fyshwick Market are still there... looks like they have all found new homes.

Bus 400

Us mob at Summerland 2 want a bunker shelter. Summerland 2 & the corresponding stop on the other side are one of the busiest stops in Kambah for school runs & peak/weekend services. But ACTION did eventually give Summerland 2 a bus seat 10-15 years after they stole it. Also our stop has a slope that may be too steep for a shelter.

Buzz Killington

i would've thought the stop at the Park on Boddington near Vic n Ricks could use a shelter. That was always well patronaged.

smitho

Quote from: TP 3000 on July 14, 2009, 11:25:28 PM
Going Google Maps Streetview, they were only recently put in.. They do look like they have been repainted.

I had a closer look at those two bunkers at the Tuggy end of Barritt today while waiting to take 125 out on a charter run.

As you and Buzz P suggest, they are definitely very new transplants, although they look as if they have taken a hammering in a war zone for a long time (or were used on the northside).

They definitely need a good clean up and a fresh coat of paint. (Come on ACT Roads!)

Buzz Killington

A bunker has been transplanted into Charleston St in Monash. I suspect it is one of the few that have disappeared from National Cct in Barton recently.

It has one of the little plaques from the school shelter painting competition, so I'll try to get a closer look to confirm.

King of Buses

They should put some bunkers in the Gungahlin area 

bubzie

calwell high's getting..ANOTHER bunker. (just on the other side of the road..which is kinda a given.)

one thing that does intrest me, is that the bus stop it's for, is well, for the school, and fits three buses. now, the 11's that go past, stop at the first mini-stop (where there's a bench), but the shelter's being installed at the third one.

Shenanigans!

Bus 400

Quote from: Buzz KillingtonA bunker has been transplanted into Charleston St in Monash. I suspect it is one of the few that have disappeared from National Cct in Barton recently.

Had a look at that shelter today. It is the old City Bound shelter at Sydney Avenue Terminus (opp. Hotel Realm).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Northbourne Avenue will very shortly be bunker shelter-free (if it isn't already). All of the remaining bunkers were dug up this week.

Irisbus Rider

Two bunker shelters have appeared in Dunlop, one on Kerrigan St before the Lance Hill Av R'about heading towards Belconnen/City on a 45/703, and the other is on Lance Hill Av between Evelyn Owen Cres and Shrivell Cct, Belconnen bound for the 43.

I must say, they're a blemish on the landscape. Dunlop has relatively modern houses, and to see a 70's era bunker shelter is very out of place. Personally, I'm not a fan of the bunkers, I'm somewhat satisfied with the AdShel servicing my bus stop.

Buzz Killington

smitho

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on November 01, 2010, 01:39:00 AM

I must say, they're a blemish on the landscape. Dunlop has relatively modern houses, and to see a 70's era bunker shelter is very out of place. Personally, I'm not a fan of the bunkers, I'm somewhat satisfied with the AdShel servicing my bus stop.
Bunkers can look great when they're well sited and well maintained and are ideal for Canberra's climate; never thought of them as having a 70's look.

AdShels look smart and contemporary - but some opponents argue that they don't provide shelter effectively if facing the prevailing rain and winds and can be a hot house in summer.

smitho

Quote from: MyWay on October 30, 2010, 03:26:20 PM
Northbourne Avenue will very shortly be bunker shelter-free (if it isn't already). All of the remaining bunkers were dug up this week.
Yes, noted today 3 bunker excavation sites on Northbourne Ave - one just south of Havelock House, another outside the Canberra Information Centre and a third outside the former Country Comfort Motel.

Bus 400

While, the bunker shelter on Emu Banl for Lake Ginninderra College is still there from Belconnen Interchange days is still there, when the new Belconnen Bus Stations were open, the bus stop has been moved down the road a few metres & an AdShel bus shelter has been installed. This is while the new City bound stop on Eastern Valley Way has just a seat.

Buzz Killington

Two more shelters have been put in on Cockcroft Ave in Monash - one is from Barton as it has the "painted by Telopea Park" plaque.

King of Buses

The Bunker on the Woden bound Blue Rapid Route after Beasley St (Not Park ' n' ride stop) was being removed around 10.15 this morning.

Sir Pompously

And was gone by 11:00. Last seen on the back of a flatbed heading along Athllon Drive.

smitho

Must be a heap of bunker shelters stored somewhere, as there seems to have been far more bunkers removed than have been re-located to other bus stops. They used to be stored in yard west of Fyshwick Market, but haven't seen any there for a year or two.

Kramden

Apart from the bunkers you mentioned once stored in the Fyshwick area, I wonder where they untimately end up?  Landfill?

I was in Fiji in 2008 and I'm pretty sure I saw one over there.  Which makes me wonder: do some of the bunkers get relocated to other parts of Aust or offf shore?

Perhaps ACTION (or TAMS)  could flog surplus bunkers off on eBay. If you had a big yard they'd make an interesting/curious piece of garden furniture.  Hmmm, not that attractive though.  Having an old PMG red phone box in a backyard could be cute, but a bunker...maybe not.

Sir Pompously

Any of the bunker shelters they remove, they are required to place them elsewhere. They are a heavy piece of Shelter, requires a small crane to remove them and place them back in, so probably not good as garden furniture! :P

Kramden

A crane?  No problem.  Take the suggested 'garden furniture' indoors.  Simply lift with a crane, position it over the middle of your house and cut the cable.  Instant bus shelter in the family room!  Impress your friends and neighbours...LOL!   

smitho

Bunker on Parkinson St, Weston Centre, (outside shops) on Woden-bound side has been removed in recent days.

Buzz Killington

The locals won't be happy about the local drinking hole disappearing..

smitho

Bunker on Hindmarsh Drive southbound a few stops before the terminus ....suspect that is a fairly recent transplant.

Kramden

As reported elsewhere the Marcus Clarke St stop northbound before the left turn onto Barry Dr was closed last Sunday.  First up it was taped off and several signs indicated the stop was now closed.  I was in town earlier this evening and after stepping off #490 "the White Whale" at the southbound stop I noticed that the bunker has been removed.  All that remains is a patch of dirt where it once stood.

smitho

Two southside bunkers being removed this week are on 'the Parkway' north of Kambah Pool Rd intersection (preparatory work in progress) and on Athllon Drive, west of the Tuggeranong Harris Scarfe's store (southbound); southbound lane of Athllon Drive was closed as at late this morning, with a flat truck occupying the closed lane awaiting loading of the bunker. There was another recently removed bunker (from where???) already tied down to the flat truck.

Kramden

Quote from: smitho on September 16, 2011, 12:41:11 PM
...There was another recently removed bunker (from where???) already tied down to the flat truck.

Anyone care to guess the weight of one of these old structures.  Just curious. 

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on September 16, 2011, 12:41:11 PM
There was another recently removed bunker (from where???) already tied down to the flat truck.

Presumably it's from the Kambah/Greenway region. Since they're being removed from main roads rather than in the suburbs, the most likely suspect would be the other Drakeford Bunker, northbound between Boddington and Sulwood.

Bus 400

Quote from: Buzz Killington on September 16, 2011, 06:57:50 PM
Presumably it's from the Kambah/Greenway region. Since they're being removed from main roads rather than in the suburbs, the most likely suspect would be the other Drakeford Bunker, northbound between Boddington and Sulwood.

I haven't noticed if this shelter is missing yet. However, the bunker shelter from Athllon Drive (at the back of the Hyperdome Lifestyle Centre thing) has disappeared.

Bus 400

The Drakeford Drive (Kambah) shelter has gone, so the days of the only bus shelter on the Tuggeranong Parkway must be numbered. I know some people will be very happy to see this one replaced with an AdShel shelter.

route56

Where exactly is this last bunker ? I might go and take a photo.

Bus 400

The only shelter on the Tuggeranong Parkway, is just north of the Sulwood & Drakeford Drive's.

It is served by Routes 60 & 62 during off peak & 60,62,160,162,705,785 & 787 during peak times & 960/962 during weekends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bus 400

There is a new bunker shelter on Knoke Avenue in Gordon just near Gordon Primary School.

smitho

New AdShel positioned on Drakeford Drive northbound, at the place where the most northerly bunker on Drakeford was removed several days ago.

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 20, 2011, 11:32:11 AM
There is a new bunker shelter on Knoke Avenue in Gordon just near Gordon Primary School.

Good to see them arriving in the Lanyon Valley!

smitho

Recently bunker departures:

Deakin, Hopetoun Circuit on #2 route (letter criticising removal of this bunker in last week's CT, on Wednesday as I recall)

Greenway, Athllon southbound (this week)....landing pad, signage etc all gone, new paving installed today

Deakin, Calvary-John James Hospital, southbound....great pity this one has gone as a workable shelter is important for potentially sick or frail punters...

Relocated Bunker arrivals:

Gordon, Knoke Ave (appears to be the former Marcus Clarke northbound bunker)

AGSO, Jerrabomberra southbound (just being installed this week)

Symonston, Narrabundah Lane southbound, outside TGA* (vague recollection of seeing this in recent days - will confirm)

Barry Drive

Took me a while to even notice: the bunker shelter on Emu Bank (across from AMF) has been removed. Probably happened a month ago (or more).

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on October 28, 2011, 01:55:31 PM
Took me a while to even notice: the bunker shelter on Emu Bank (across from AMF) has been removed. Probably happened a month ago (or more).

Yeah, I first noticed it 3 weekends back.

Bus 400

It looks like the bunker shelter on Strickland Crescent (outside John James Hospital-City bound) is being prepared to be removed. I wonder if this will be replaced with an AdShel like its Woden bound bus stop.

A bunker has found its way to Gooreen St, Braddon, northbound, immediately south of Donaldson St. This one comes complete with 40kph speed limit as it looks like they're doing a lot of pavement works there.

Kramden

Even 40 kph is too quick on Goreen for most buses.  Any traveller/driver will know the way they rattle along that terribly uneven surface.  Not one of my favourite streets for this reason.