Belconnen to City Transitway

Started by Buzz Killington, June 05, 2011, 08:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

The Government is investing $7.5 million in the short-term to improve bus travel between the Belconnen Town Centre and the City Centre.

Improvements include a new major bus station at City West, within the Australian National University (ANU) Exchange, dedicated bus lanes on Barry Drive and bus priority measures at traffic light intersections. The improvements are to be implemented in 2012 and will improve peak hour reliability for bus commmuters.

The improvements complement the Belconnen Town Centre bus station improvements and bus priority on Belconnen Way and Barry Drive, completed in 2010.

Design consultants considered various options and identified measures to be implemented in the short, medium and long term. Broad community consultation on the design measures run from 23 May through to 20 June 2011.

More info can be found here: http://transport.act.gov.au/studies_projects/belconnen_city_transitway_study.html

Map of the proposals here: http://transport.act.gov.au/Belconnen_City_Corridor_Options.pdf

Buzz Killington

Some consultation (and photo!) options:

An ACTION Information bus will be parked on Marcus Clarke St adjacent to Latin America Plaza on Tuesday 7 June from 11am to 1pm. Consultants will be on board to explain what is planned for the corridor.

And an online survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/belconnentocityfeedback

Irisbus Rider

I applaud the duplication of College St (even if it is of a 'long term' priority), however, I'm disappointed by the increase of signalised intersections proposed. This draft plan indicates that a signalised intersection will be placed on College St, however, if this project were to be future-proofed, the underpass on College St (which is partially constructed) would be built. And proposals for *yet* another set of traffic lights on Haydon Dr is frustrating.
And more stops on the Blue Rapid is the last thing the service needs. This would just generate more justification for limited stop Blue Rapid services to be intoduced (i.e. a 300X).

It makes for very interesting reading, particularly the changes which are planning to be implemented in the City.

belcodriver

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on June 05, 2011, 09:27:35 PM
the underpass on College St (which is partially constructed) would be built.

Where's that?

QuoteAnd more stops on the Blue Rapid is the last thing the service needs. This would just generate more justification for limited stop Blue Rapid services to be intoduced (i.e. a 300X).

It's called the 710.

Irisbus Rider

The 'underpass' (to be) is just a bit east of the current UC bus stops, there's a large cutting in the soil between the carparks on the northern side of the road. From what I've heard, it was earmarked to become an underpass, but these plans have long been forgotten, I'm assuming. Perhaps my words: 'partially constructed' were not quite appropriate.

There are a few ways that I believe could improve the under-utilised 710, which has lots of potential. Changing it's platform of departure in the bus stations, and aligning them to the Blue Rapid platforms (Cohen St being the exception) would improve patronage. Making it a limited stops service would also speed up the journey, and most importantly; *promoting it* as a Blue Rapid alternative. Many passengers don't even know it exists!

belcodriver

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on June 08, 2011, 07:44:23 PM
The 'underpass' (to be) is just a bit east of the current UC bus stops, there's a large cutting in the soil between the carparks on the northern side of the road. From what I've heard, it was earmarked to become an underpass, but these plans have long been forgotten, I'm assuming. Perhaps my words: 'partially constructed' were not quite appropriate.

OK, I know where you mean now.

p_stampy

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on June 08, 2011, 07:44:23 PMThere are a few ways that I believe could improve the under-utilised 710, which has lots of potential. Changing it's platform of departure in the bus stations, and aligning them to the Blue Rapid platforms (Cohen St being the exception) would improve patronage. Making it a limited stops service would also speed up the journey, and most importantly; *promoting it* as a Blue Rapid alternative. Many passengers don't even know it exists!

I kind of like the fact that not many people know about it, it means I don't get sat on!!

Bus 400

I am curious as to how lane markings can be changed on Barry Drive to add an additional lane.