New London buses

Started by smitho, April 13, 2013, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

See link below for pictures of the new standard London double decker buses dubbed 'Borismasters' in the tradition of the popular Routemasters of the past.

Like the Routemasters, Borismasters have a second crew member who is generally stationed at the rear loading platform.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=new+london+buses&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UJhoUbOrB8miiAfH3YBI&sqi=2&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=600

Snorzac

400:D

I could of sworn April Fools was over!

ajw373

Quote from: smitho on April 13, 2013, 09:35:44 AM
See link below for pictures of the new standard London double decker buses dubbed 'Borismasters' in the tradition of the popular Routemasters of the past.

Like the Routemasters, Borismasters have a second crew member who is generally stationed at the rear loading platform.

Not quite. They have a second crew member when the bus is operating in two crew mode. In this mode the rear platform is left open and the conductor's job is to monitor safety of the platform. They do no ticket checking what so ever (unlike on the orginal Routemasters). Outside the central area and after a certain time at night they close the rear door and convert to single person operation.

Heading to London on Sunday, 2.5 years after I returned from living there. Will be interesting to see these in the flesh, though only the protypes are in use, the 24 gets changed (overnight) to production units sometime in the UK summer.

Personally I think they are a waste of time and money and offer very little over the existing buses. In fact the new buses are causing headaches for the industry as a whole for two reasons. Firstly ex-London buses make up a large portion of the regional bus fleet, it is unlikley that these when they get to 15 years, which is currently the max age of London buses will make their way there, meaning in 15 years time there will be shortage of 2nd hand buses. Secondly as manufacturing is only by Wrightbus it means little London business for the other body builders, which in turn will make development of new/improved models more expensive.

Additionally London buses have had to enter into new contract arrangements with the operators. Previously the operator would buy and own the buses, under the new agrements London Buses will buy and own and provide them to the operator. In someways it is a better way, but in turn fuel the issue mentioned above of cascading later in life.

lukeo25

When I was in London last year I saw one in the transport museum at Covent Garden (this was before they were even on the road)  I have say I'm not a big lover of the design of them.

smitho

I saw one of the prototypes in revenue service last September (but didn't ride on it).

Thought its novel design (modernistic styling, but with throwbacks to the Routemaster) would appeal to the general punter passenger.

ajw373

Rode one last week and it just reaffirmed my suspicion that it is a waste of time. The two things I liked were the colours inside, which are a red/burgundy colour and the fact that air blowers were on both sides of the upper deck (normal E400's, Gemini's or Omnicities for example normally only have forced air down the right hand side).

The 'open' rear platform is a waste of space and of a staff member. Unlike the routemaster of old you are only meant to use it at stops, not at intersections etc, this is 'controlled' via the otherwise bored conductor. So it begs the question why have it in the first place other than being a gimmick? Why not just shut the door and have 3 door boarding at stops, bearing in mind the conduct does NO fare collection.

Other than that it seems like any other Hybrid bus in London just with an overly complex and costly body, that costs London more to buy and won't have a life in old age. Just a waste of money.