Gungahlin Interchange

Started by 743, April 11, 2018, 08:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Yep. "Gungahlin Place" (as Transport Canberra for some odd reason want to call it) opens this Saturday 21 April.

Platform 3 is the south facing platform (stop 7011) for the South and City-bound services.

Platform 4 is the north facing platform (stop 7012) for the Belconnen and northern suburbs services.

Platform numbers 1 & 2 are for the Tram stops on what was Hibberson St.

Perhaps now they will finally remove the shelters from Gozzard St.

King of Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on April 19, 2018, 09:23:26 PM
Yep. "Gungahlin Place" (as Transport Canberra for some odd reason want to call it) opens this Saturday 21 April.

I'd prefer "Gungahlin Interchange" but hey, I'm not the one naming things here...

(I suppose it's better than if they called it "Gungahlin Bus Station", at least, given platforms 1 and 2 are LR stops/stations).

triumph

Had a look yesterday at the newly opened Bus Station in Gungahlin.

What was the rush? The area is still a substantial works site and rather congested. Platform 4 was only partially available to use. I think the opening is premature.

Buses from Belconnen and the North now approach via Gozzard and Ernest Cavanagh Sts. Immediately after turning into Ernest Cavanagh there is an entry to a substantial car park on the right with lots of short term users. It is already apparent that right turners into the car park are causing bus delays. I wonder if the Gozzard entry (closed for same reason) will now be re-opened and this one be closed?

The pedestrian crossing 'walk' sign in Hibberson St across Gungahlin Place does not give enough time to legally cross in one go. Worse the buttons on the intermediate median are located out of reach behind the works fencing. So if in the middle, one has to wait for someone at either end to press their button. I timed a legal crossing at 1min 20 sec. The result, already, is widespread flouting of the 'don't walk'. This is potential chaos and aggravation when people wish to cross to between platform 4 and the light rail terminus. Worse, there is the major conflict of buses coming and going (plus ordinary Gungahlin Pl. traffic), all needing to intersect with the pedestrian flow, which will severely inhibit available 'walk' periods.

The bus platforms have architecturally good looking canopies which appear to style match the light rail stations. But, the canopies are quite high and angled up. I wonder at the effectiveness of weather protection and summer shade. Also there appears to be no sheltered walking route planned between the bus and light rail stations. One has to wonder how much thought (neligible?) went into the actual convenience of users.

Overall, I am not impressed. 

Bus 400

One would also have to wonder why even bother with traffic lights at Hibberson St & Gungahlin Pl. Since Hiberson St is blocked off the Coles end & no traffic is leaving from the Woolworths end. Surely a pedestrian crossing would be good enough?  The only time you're going to get heavy pedestrian numbers is when a tram terminates & they're all heading for the buses anyway.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on April 24, 2018, 11:36:51 PM
I wonder if the Gozzard entry (closed for same reason) will now be re-opened and this one be closed?
The Gozzard St entry and exit was re-opened as soon as the buses were moved. Despite this, cars are still using Ernest Cavanagh to enter the carpark.

I agree totally with everything you said. Once the new traffic lights on Gozzard St were turned on, the temporary bus platforms became unworkable, so perhaps that contributed to the early opening. I can't think of any other reason.

Quote from: Bus 400 on April 25, 2018, 07:36:23 AM
One would also have to wonder why even bother with traffic lights at Hibberson St & Gungahlin Pl.
The lights will also allow right turns into Hibberson St once it re-opens. But they should be recalibrated to give pedestrians priority over traffic - including longer Green "Man" lanterns.

UPDATE: the lights actually don't allow for right turns - there is a stop sign for any traffic wanting to enter the Hibberson St shared zone.

They might have extended the time of the green man. I can get 2/3 across before the red man flashes. A slight improvement, but still not entirely pedestrian friendly.

Bus 503

Quote from: triumph on April 24, 2018, 11:36:51 PM
The pedestrian crossing 'walk' sign in Hibberson St across Gungahlin Place does not give enough time to legally cross in one go. Worse the buttons on the intermediate median are located out of reach behind the works fencing. So if in the middle, one has to wait for someone at either end to press their button. I timed a legal crossing at 1min 20 sec. The result, already, is widespread flouting of the 'don't walk'. This is potential chaos and aggravation when people wish to cross to between platform 4 and the light rail terminus. Worse, there is the major conflict of buses coming and going (plus ordinary Gungahlin Pl. traffic), all needing to intersect with the pedestrian flow, which will severely inhibit available 'walk' periods. 

They installed traffic lights where passengers are supposed to cross at Dickson Interchange for light rail on Northbourne Avenue too. The traffic lights are an inconvenience for both motorists who have to stop at even more traffic lights and transferring passengers who have to wait for their cycle which will lead to missed buses/trams. A pedestrian bridge should have been built so passengers could cross faster and more efficiently (and obviously more safely).

Barry Drive

NXTBUS was updated this weekend.

Stops 7011 & 7012 are active. PIDs, SMS and the bus announcement now refer to "Gungahlin Place".

Barry Drive

The fence has gone from Platform 4. No bollard as of Friday, though.

That also means that the pedestrian crossing at the Ernest Cavanagh intersection is also open.