Bus Discussion (2019-)

Started by ajw373, January 03, 2019, 10:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on December 11, 2021, 03:35:23 PM301 - 391
Why specifically 390 and 391, shouldn't it be 392/393 as they're the different ones?

Bus 400

It may not necessarily be those buses. Someone might have a death wish & write of Bus 400. Delaying 391 retirement.

triumph

Quote from: triumph on December 08, 2021, 10:53:19 PM..... The item didn't explain why the engines couldn't operate without the additive, that is mechanical or compliance issues or both. .....

It seems from what I have since seen, that it is a computer issue with the engines entering 'limp' mode if the Adblue injection fails.
That being the case, in a major emergency warranting by-passing environmental rules, it is probably possible to re-programme the engine management computers.

triumph

The fleet wiki entry for the Hino reg 217-499 adds 'Also known as BUS 65', and 'Vehicle fleet number allocation not official'. There are other vehicles in the xx range with similar comments attached.

Wondering about the origin of the xx numbering? Is it something informal originating with ACTION? Or informal fleet numbering introduced by ACTBus for its own needs? Or...?

If there is clarification somewhere already, apologies as I haven't found it.

Barry Drive

When Special Needs Transport was moved from Totalcare to ACTION in 1996 (I think), all the mini buses were re-registered using BUS plates and were numbered 004 to 024. These numbers were also their fleet number and radio identifier. (Subsequent additions also used BUS plates.)

At one stage, some of the newer Rosas were also used on the FlexiBus service; when FlexiBus ended they were all re-registered using standard ACT Government plates but the fleet numbers remained active.

So at ACT Bus Wiki we kept using the fleet numbers even when new vehicles were registered directly onto standard ACT Gov plates.

triumph

Thankyou. Looks like a bureaucratic fine distinction, or perhaps a change of personnel and thus viewpoint, involved. Perhaps there is/was a registration category involved too.  My main query as to status of the xx range in the Fleet Wiki has been resolved though.

triumph

According to a news item in Canberra Times, there was a car/bus collision in Drakeford Dr at Hurtle Ave Bonython late yesterday afternoon. The accompanying photo shows the bus involved was 693.
The item said the road would likely be closed for hours and 2 people treated with no severe injuries reported (yet). Images show a P plater was involved. The bus ended up on a lane through the median.   

triumph

When TC registers a newly delivered bus, does it have to follow normal procedure and have the vehicle inspected at Hume or has it authority to do its own inspection?
A second question is what are the blocks of registrations reserved for TC - just all BUS*** or are there other blocks as well?
(Presumably they are treated administratively in the same way that a personalised plate can be retained.)
Just curious.

Snorzac

A few weeks ago I spotted an ACT Heavy Vehicle Inspector ute entering Belconnen depot maybe a day or so before BUS800 first showed as registered, so from that I would assume that they are subject to standard heavy vehicle inspections but they're done at the TC depots. 

With the rego plates all the BUS### regos are specifically for government buses, other vehicles (ie field and workshops vehicles) just get the next government plate in sequence (21####)

triumph

Thanks.
More or less as I suspected.
The vehicles that do the trial shuttle to Fairbairn, rte 904, are an outlier - supplying a route service but not registered in the BUS### series.

triumph

Today's Sunday Canberra Times under All Homes page 3 has an article headed 'This Rental near Tharwa comes with its own bus'. A Mack/Renault is illustrated. Appears complete but no plate and no fleet number discernable. The property is at Clear Range.
(If there is a way to copy the image to the Forum, I am not computer savvy enough to do it.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

It's very hard to tell, but looking at the image the fleet outline looks like 800.

King of Buses

Quote from: triumph on February 26, 2023, 10:46:21 PMToday's Sunday Canberra Times under All Homes page 3 has an article headed 'This Rental near Tharwa comes with its own bus'. A Mack/Renault is illustrated. Appears complete but no plate and no fleet number discernable. The property is at Clear Range.
(If there is a way to copy the image to the Forum, I am not computer savvy enough to do it.)

Buzz Killington

Lol, still has the "S" sticker on the windscreen.

triumph

A yellow 'sticker' in the form of a bow with black lettered slogan 'Drive So Others Survive!' on it, has appeared on the exterior next(aft) to the front entrance, has appeared on TC buses.

Snorzac

This is for "National Road Safety Week" which takes place this week

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh so those aren't [REDACTED] buses, wrong sticker haha

Bus It

I have a puzzle that I can't solve!

I was driving back from Sydney today and just north of Collector, NSW I saw something which I couldn't believe!

I saw BUS 325 on a flatbed being transported north towards Sydney. To me this makes very little sense to me as I thought all repairs (both body and mechanical) were done here, and there would never be a need for a vehicle to be transported interstate.

Then I thought maybe it's been sold... But why would they chose a CNG Scania when the Renaults and Irisbuses are a much higher priority?

It still had it's CNG pods on the roof, so my only thought at this stage is they've started to send them off to Sydney for CNG removal to simplify operation between the depots and prepare them for sale in years to come.

If anyone has any insight, I'd really like to know what's going on with them!

Snorzac

Buses have headed to Sydney for floor replacement previously as recent as last year, however I do not believe there is a current contract for this, 340 did however return from Sydney on the same truck.

triumph

Floor replacement on its own is not a movement issue, so is trucking necessary due to compliance issues in NSW and/or is it better for the bus not to be flogged up and down the Highway at continuous high speed, and avoid TC driver and gas refuel logistics problems/costs? Seems reasonable to use a truck.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Snorzac on June 15, 2023, 07:55:47 PMBuses have headed to Sydney for floor replacement previously as recent as last year, however I do not believe there is a current contract for this, 340 did however return from Sydney on the same truck.
Had a look, and agree no current contract has been published.

In the past, this work has been completed by Wales Bus Repairs in Smithfield (now AMA Group). They also perform bus repairs for operators throughout NSW.

Refer to https://www.actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=4299.0 for an updated list of floor repairs.

Bus967

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 02, 2019, 10:26:32 PMOh don't worry, they are, I called this morning to make sure they were aware of the issue.

Turns out the R1 is programmed into all the buses, or that's at least the impression I got from the obscurantistic driver who was driving 502 this evening, as he had it up again cause he wanted to have some fun before his last run.
"Ding ding, I'm a tram" is the front display with a train icon on the back and on the side. The things drivers have to do to have fun now days...

It makes me wonder if occasionally Transport Canberra buses do rail replacements

Bus967

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 18, 2020, 02:47:17 AMAlso now that I have a picture, I asked this before but got no answer, which buses did these white switches (some have buttons, same question) come from?

At least to my knowledge, those white switches probably would've been made by clipsal as it almost looks like the exact same style of switch that I actually have in my house for my bedroom light

Buzz Killington

IIRC the switches were red when first installed.

I don't think the white switches were repurposed from other buses. More likely it was cheaper/easier to source white ones off-the-shelf when replacements were needed.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on April 01, 2023, 01:40:42 PMBut: they will be getting 38 new buses to replace 37 Renaults. So in theory they may be able to afford to transfer two low floor buses to become permanent trainers (e.g 390 & 391). However, there's also the question of whether 693 is permanently withdrawn and needs to be replaced (or does Belconnen give up another bus to cover for it)?

Edit: OK, maybe not MANs - they aren't old enough to be relegated to be trainers. Irisbuses would be preferable for now.
Continuing this thought in a different topic ...

With 930 & 962 now dedicated trainers, and the announcement of 4 Custom Denning Elements, they are effectively replacing 35 Renaults with 42 buses - making a surplus of 7 buses.

As it has been announced that new buses will be replacements, the question now is which 7 buses will be withdrawn next? And will they continue to have 4 dedicated trainers?

So here's my theory: all of the new Scanias will be allocated to Belconnen and the 3 remaining Renaults at Tuggeranong replaced with Irisbuses and then the 4 trainers. The last 3 can be used to withdraw 320-322, also being replaced with Irisbuses.

This will result in Tuggeranong having 6 Irisbuses and 2 for training, with Belconnen having 8 plus 2 for training.

Barry Drive

Slight amendment to the above. At some point in the next 12 months, all buses will need to be fitted with the new ticketing equipment. So maybe the excess buses will be used to boost the fleet while buses are off the road.

And then return to the current number once the fit out is complete.

triumph

Quote from: triumph on January 24, 2023, 08:21:36 AMAccording to a news item in Canberra Times, there was a car/bus collision in Drakeford Dr at Hurtle Ave Bonython late yesterday afternoon. The accompanying photo shows the bus involved was 693.
The item said the road would likely be closed for hours and 2 people treated with no severe injuries reported (yet). Images show a P plater was involved. The bus ended up on a lane through the median.   
Barry drive has mentioned the future of 693 in the  Renaults A Go Go thread. No advice, it seems, is yet known on the future of 693.
Almost 9 months have elapsed so the future of 693 should have already been determined.
Whether commercially insured or self insured, an insurance claim should have been made, and the process of the insurer (commercial or self) deciding on the claim for repair or write off should have long been made.
Retaining for parts should be irrelevant to a write off decision. It is also up to TC after write off, to negotiate for acquisition from the insurers if it is wanted for parts. Likewise the pursuit of the car party, if at fault, for damages is a matter for the insurer to determine. This is what seems to me to be a normal proper process, as opposed to a mish mash of repair versus parting out versus write off. (To decide, for a near new vehicle, not to make a claim should have a publicly exposed thorough justification.)
Lastly, it does seem rather surprising that a collision with a car, with the near new bus in the photos appearing to be still on a even surface and visibly not much harmed, could result in a write off or parting out.
It is possible decisions have been provisionally made, but repair and parts availability are complicating factors.

Snorzac

693 has left Tuggeranong depot and its whereabouts are unknown. The damage to it was extensive, given it was a rear end impact and the impact force shattered the windscreen it appears, you would expect there is a significant amount of damage which may not be visible to the naked eye

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on September 20, 2023, 09:16:02 PMAlmost 9 months have elapsed so the future of 693 should have already been determined.
At the time of said speculation (April), the fate of 693 was unknown. However, with the annual registration renewals last month, 693's registration was renewed which was sufficient indication that it will be retained.

The news that 693 has left Tuggeranong Depot suggests it has been sent away for repairs - quite possibly to Wales in Sydney, who do all the floor repairs.

The only remaining question is why was there a delay? My complete guess is that it was a complicated approval process considering it's an expensive vehicle and the damage was extensive. A second possibly is the good old "supply chain" problem - since it may require a new chassis (or significant parts of one) shipped from Sweden.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Could 693 be a possiblity as to why the new bus deliveries are also being delay or is that a completely different can of worms?

triumph

Quote from: Snorzac on September 20, 2023, 10:14:30 PM693 has left Tuggeranong depot and its whereabouts are unknown. The damage to it was extensive, given it was a rear end impact and the impact force shattered the windscreen it appears, you would expect there is a significant amount of damage which may not be visible to the naked eye
Which raises the question of just how crashworthy are these buses? Presumably there are standards to be complied with. Counter intuitively, it is quite possible, that to absorb impact damage, the consequences of an impact may be worse than one might think.

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on September 21, 2023, 06:08:25 PMCould 693 be a possiblity as to why the new bus deliveries are also being delay or is that a completely different can of worms?
Seems unlikely, as registration has been renewed, that suggests that the repairs will not take a long time. It becomes an issue, if parts are to be borrowed, as to whether it would impact new bus deliveries and, if so, is it quicker to get 693 back in service or new buses into service. Personally, I doubt that this is a practical issue at the moment.

Snorzac

When a car impacts anything at the speeds that car did, and I'm lead to believe it was well in excess of 100km/h (although this is gossip so may not be 100% accurate), damage will always be excessive, regardless of the standards complied with. 

triumph

Quote from: Snorzac on September 21, 2023, 10:48:36 PMWhen a car impacts anything at the speeds that car did, and I'm lead to believe it was well in excess of 100km/h (although this is gossip so may not be 100% accurate), damage will always be excessive, regardless of the standards complied with.
Wow. And there were no fatalities!

Busnerd

Sounds like it was a case of government hoops taking a long time to inspect and sign off on repairs then presumably a long wait for parts. I for one waited 6 months to have a car repaired as parts had to come from overseas which appears to be an ongoing problem with vehicle repairs at the moment. If it is gone now it's likely it has gone off to a bus manufacturer or refurbisher/repairer, suggestion above of Wales seems likely, they usually take buses for major repairs as sometimes these involve fixing bent parts of the chassis etc. so it could be there for some time being fixed.

triumph

A report in 'X' yesterday says that there was a crash in Majura Ave about 10.30pm on Mon evening. This resulted in closure of Majura Ave between Wakefield Ave and Cowper St.
From the images, a Transport Canberra Operations vehicle was severely damaged at the front, and a Commodore at the rear (and the car perhaps also impacted on the side(s)). It seems the TC Staff on board the TC vehicle were injured as 3 persons were conveyed to Hospital, but the report is not clear that only one person was in the Commodore. If TC staff were injured, it is to be hoped that they will have a rapid and full recovery. The Holden driver is reported as breath testing +ve and was apparently an already suspended driver with charges expected to be laid.
From the images, the specific TC vehicle was not identifiable as no number plate, as far as I could see, was visible.