Belconnen Activity

Started by Lockie, August 20, 2008, 07:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockie

Something was happening at the Belconnen interchange this afternoon.
I am unsure of what exactly they were doing, but here is a quick shot I took.

Note: Attachments are Removed once they are 60 days old due to Automatic Maintenance.

Irisbus Rider

Quite odd, looked normal to me last night.

Snorzac

It may be something to do with next years demolition

Lockie

What exactly is happening with that? Are they planning to demolish the whole interchange, and if so, why did they bother painting it?

Snorzac

I don't know why they bothered painting it and according to my mum who works for westfield (the company doing the re-develpomet) it is all being demolished

Irisbus Rider

It was a political stunt. "Labor cares".

Buzz Killington

or it was because they needed a coat of paint..

Snorzac

well what is the point of payiny for all the paint if it is only going to be a year before it is demolished

Irisbus Rider

Exactly. See, there are a few theories, but the most likely one is that the money simply had to be spent before the end of the last financial year. A better idea would have been to have put that money aside for the years to come and the new interchange, or even the new temporary interchange amongst other things.

Sir Pompously

Well, railways normally refurbish and repaint stations, relay, realign and re signal track, and then shut down the line. Murwillumbah Branch is a good example. Even Qantas is refurbishing Canberra Check In, building a Business Class Lounge, and refurbishing the current lounge areas, and Canberra Airport Group is building a new gate even though we are getting a new terminal next year. Although it may not make sense, better to spend the money and make it all look pretty for the people then to have that money go to waste elsewhere.

Buzz Killington

thing about budgets is, if you have money left over at the end of the financial year, chances are that will be noticed and you won't get as much next year. I'd say it was ACTION spending up as much of what was left of the 07-08 budget as possible, to show that they are "stretched" fiscally, and will need more, not less, in 08-09