Bus 400

Today
Conder picked up 6.3mm
Monash 6.2mm
Gungahlin 4.8mm
Isabella Plains 5.8
Canb. Airpot 4.6mm

Bus 400

More storms are on there way tonight. Mt Ginini has had over 50mm in the last 2 days. Most of Canberra has missed out on that. But our dams should go back up a tad.

Irisbus Rider

There were storms in Canberra? And I missed them? Nooooooooooooo!

Snorzac

No storms that I can re-call since Monday John. If you look at the date of the post before yours John you may find that it was posted on Saturday.

Irisbus Rider

bubzie

IT'S COLD.

(maximum of 12.4 today, i believe. thankyou bom.)

Buzz Killington

balmy 21 here.

central heating rocks

Bus 400

BOM says we reached just over 13, but think about Mt Ginini, 2.1 Max (http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60902.shtml)

Irisbus Rider

Looking forward to waking up to snow tomorrow, but we'll see how we go.

In Hobart, they're forecasting Snow above 400m (In Canberra, it's 600m), now there is a place I'd love to be!

Bus 400

Well today Mt Ginini, it recorded it's highest temp of the day (-1.2) at Midnight & it's coldest temp of -3.9 at 16:15.

Also the wind chill for the Tuggeranong was between 0-3 degrees with Mt Ginini gain having a wind chill of -8 to -10 degrees.

Finally some people may of noticed that snow has been blowing around today. They droplets were snow but the ground was too warm (shockingly) for the snow to settle.

Bus 400

Most of that moisture went around the Brindabella's but a bit of it made it over Kambah. I've just walked outside in bare feet & the ground is bloody freezing cold & the rain droplets feel a bit like melted snow. It feels like I'm out at Perisher Blue on a cold day at the moment, with the cold breeze coming in from the Brindabella's.

However, unless it gets any cooler quite sooner, there is a low chance of snow in Canberra tonight. But the wind coming of the snow covered Brindies will be bloody freezing cold tomorrow.

bubzie

IT'S COLD.

and i can see the brindies from..the top of the hill in calwell. shit.

Snorzac

It is freezing! -4.9 according to BOM and -6 according to Scotty and Nige.

Buzz Killington

It's currently 3:20pm, and here's the highest temperatures recorded today:

Tuggers - 2.6 degrees @ 2.00pm
City - 4.1 degrees @ 2.33pm

Given that its 2.3 in Tuggers and 3.7 in the City right now, I think its safe to say we've hit our maximums for the day.

Bus 400

Up around Daley Crescent, Fraser I could see the blue sky on the other side of the hills to Canberra's north west. With the fog starting to drop down into Tuggeranong Valley.

Buzz Killington

Today was the coldest June day in 43 years.

Irisbus Rider

Lovely, just lovely.

The Tokaji Balcony reached a maximum of 0C. I was quite enthused, naturally, being a severe weather gunzel.

lukeo25

starting to get more fog in the woden valley, mount taylor is not visable and has not been all day, and this cold weather reminds me of england at christmas time minus the snow :D

Bus 400

For the Tuggeranong Valley, today was the coldest recorded day in Tuggers Valley. Also today was the coldest day from Canberra Airport, as the coldest recorded day for Canberra Airport of 2.1 at 25 June 1949 is the coldest day for Canberra Airport ever.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 12, 2009, 07:58:50 PM
For the Tuggeranong Valley, today was the coldest recorded day in Tuggers Valley. Also today was the coldest day from Canberra Airport, as the coldest recorded day for Canberra Airport of 2.1 at 25 June 1949 is the coldest day for Canberra Airport ever.
And they say Global Warming isn't happening......ha.

lukeo25

Bus 400

I have just been outside & the fog has dropped to around 800m or less above sea level. As my place is now surrounded by fog & visibility is getting even lower. It is down to about 2-4 meters at the moment.

bubzie

My work was really really really warm today.

:D

Bus 400

This evening a fog is rolling in. But at 18:20ish, it was only on the north side of Hindmarsh Drive

Snorzac

Sir Pompously

More than likely means another horror day at the airport tomorrow morning!

Irisbus Rider

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25787970-29277,00.html

Quote from: news.comAustralian east coast on tsunami alert

THE east coast of Australia has been put on tsunami alert following a powerful undersea earthquake.

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology says Tasmania, Victoria and NSW could be hit by waves tonight following the quake off the southwest coast of New Zealand's South Island at 7.22pm (AEST).

A bureau spokeswoman stressed no tsunami waves had been recorded by 8pm (AEST).

But she added it remained a possibility waves could develop and hit Australia's coast.

"It's quite rare that this would happen. At the moment no waves have been recorded but an alert has been issued for NSW and large parts of the east coast," she said.

"We're continuing to monitor and update the situation."

The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) said any waves would strike Lord Howe Island between 9.30pm and midnight.

The US Geological Survey said the epicentre of the earthquake was about 160km west of the city of Invercargill, on South Island, at a depth of 33 kilometres.

Police in the town of Tuatapere on South Island say they have reports of minor cracks in buildings and stock falling from supermarket shelves, but there'd been no reports of serious damage or injuries so far.

The quake was felt widely across the South Island.

The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre also issued a warning, saying: "An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicentre within minutes to hours".

The centre added it was not immediately known if a tsunami had been generated.

Lets hope nothing too serious comes of this.....

Irisbus Rider

They more or less just cancelled the alert. Good to hear!

Buzz Killington

i know a guy in NZ, he experienced the earthquake. Said it was really weird.

Irisbus Rider

'War of the Worlds' weird? I hope not, for all of humanitys sake.....

Irisbus Rider

Looks as though this wind is going to persist throught the night, I've got my candles and torches at the ready!

Might get a spitter spatter of rain too, nothing substantial though.

Bus 400

Power went out at my place last night (Monday night/Tuesday morning) at 2am. But then again tonight's wind isn't as bad as Monday night. I went outside on Monday night & it was like a cyclone, while Tuesday it is just bloody freezing cold with wind & rain.

bubzie

I'm sitting outside, and i really dont mind this wind.

...as i have a load of damp washing on the clothes line. + wind = Dry clothes! Huzzah!

Busnerd

Buzz Killington

getting a fair bit of rain here today!

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, got a few interesting downpours today. The weather here reminded me of the weather usually found in Brisbane, without that excessive heat.

ATM, There's a horizontal (W to E) cloud mass passing just south of Tuggeranong, it should produce an impressive light show.

Bus 400

Tuggers Valley had a thunderstorm earlier this afternoon, it is just quite windy ATM. The Beau of Weather cancelled its Severe Thunderstorm warning at 21:12.

However if you go to (http://www.weatherzone.com.au/stormtracker.jsp?lt=wzsector&lc=i7) it shows some lightning just to the south/west of Canberra. It may come in the next few hours.

bubzie

...so much dust everywhere!

Snorzac

Try been in Takefu, Japan. ATM there is smoke everywhere because they are burning all thier rice paddies. Im reallynot liking Japan, it was 80% humidity today.

Irisbus Rider

Loving these storms, they're the first real storms for the season!

Irisbus Rider

Braidwood has received a whopping 44.8mm of Rain since 9am this morning!

Canberra has received 20.6mm, this is expected to increase with more storms passing through tonight.

Expect isolated thunderstorms tonight, with hail (hailing in Dunlop ATM) and lots of rain!

Busnerd

No rain at all today in Sydney.

I woke up at 6.30am to a completely orange sky, visibility was about 150metres, slowly got better throughout the day, and you can see the sun and blue sky now, but everything has a red layer of dust on it now.

Buzz Killington

Ahhh, nothing like a good ol' fashioned Sydney Media freakout/overreaction to a bit of bad weather

Busnerd

Did anyone see the dodgy media coverage by nine. Lame interviews, plus Janie Seal had a little segment and she kept moving around from side to side for no reason, plus someone was holding papers half into the camera, which was at a terrible angle anyway. Also when the news opened you could see someone shuffling papers in the reflection of the backdrop!

Tacky tacky news service!

Buzz Killington

Watching it now. Surprisingly WIN are playing the whole 'extended edition' - usually they just cut it off at 6.30 and say 'and that's where we leave nine news, tonight on win news.."

Busnerd

Irisbus Rider