ACTION in Autumn

Started by 743, May 29, 2010, 12:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G'day everyone,

This is my first Autumn in Canberra and I've been a bit blown away by the colour that's everywhere you look. So I decided to attempt to combine it with some buses. Here are the results  :)

300 departs Tuggeranong

320 departs Woden

394 at Tuggeranong - it's good to see these MANs out on weekends!

412 at Woden

Buzz Killington

The colours in that first photograph are superb, well done! Autumn sure does provide for some great photos around Canberra.

And welcome to the forum!

p_stampy

Nice - I really like the first one :) ... even tho its an iris

Buzz Killington

Quote from: 743
FORM ONE LANE confuses me in the ACT

Just noticed this.. How so?

Quote from: p_stampy on May 29, 2010, 04:36:11 PM
even tho its an iris

It's like you've been here forever!

Thanks for the comments.

Regarding FORM ONE LANE...it just bugs me how there's so little warning of when it happens (i.e. immediately through a roundabout or traffic signals) and there's not usually much room for traffic to move once you come across it. I've seen a fair few near misses where Vernon Circle swings onto Commonwealth Avenue. And I'm still confused as to who gives way to who, what with the lack of broken lane lines and all. I guess I've spent too much time in NSW though ;)

Just another reason to let ACTION do the driving for me I suppose.

Irisbus Rider

Excellent photos!
You even managed to photograph Tuggeranongs finest in the background of your first shot :P

And yeah, I know exactly what you're going through (as an expat of NW Sydney myself), you'll find lots of things here in the ACT which are just different to NSW (and the rest of Australia) for the sake of it!

p_stampy

Sir Pompously

Quote from: 743 on May 29, 2010, 08:43:15 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Regarding FORM ONE LANE...it just bugs me how there's so little warning of when it happens (i.e. immediately through a roundabout or traffic signals) and there's not usually much room for traffic to move once you come across it. I've seen a fair few near misses where Vernon Circle swings onto Commonwealth Avenue. And I'm still confused as to who gives way to who, what with the lack of broken lane lines and all. I guess I've spent too much time in NSW though ;)

Just another reason to let ACTION do the driving for me I suppose.
You give way to the vehicle who is ahead of you. It is an easy and fair way to merge, unlike the NSW system of Form one Lanes (Left lane ends, Merge right). This way everyone merges in cleanly, as everyone is giving way to the car infront. Will admit though that some of the form one lane's are very close to intersections, which result in a bank up of traffic. However, with the NSW system it would probably be worse. Warning signs are standard, being FORM 1 LANE and markings on the ground. About the same as any Form One Lane situation (Except for alot of Left Lane Ends where they normally have another sign indicating distance, especially on major roadways).

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on May 29, 2010, 09:00:11 PM
You even managed to photograph Tuggeranongs finest in the background of your first shot :P

Well done for getting out of there without having your camera pinched by the aforementioned finest :)

The Form 1 Lane after Vernon Circle is a bad one. I purposely get into the right lane anytime I'm driving that way due to the amount of times I've been in the left lane and had someone behind me in the centre lane who won't give way, essentially forcing me into the shoulder.

p_stampy

What's wrong with bmx riders?

Irisbus Rider

Well, one of them appears to be riding without a helmet, and they are riding in a manner which seems to have no regard for the road, or the surrounding traffic, in addition, they are wearing 'trackydacks'. A combination of all these things seems to indicate one thing = bogan.

:P

Buzz Killington

this coming from somebody who owns red jeans

p_stampy

ohh I see.

Yeh i should invest in a helmet.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 30, 2010, 01:59:25 PM
this coming from somebody who owns red jeans
I believe I am the one who owns red jeans.......

Buzz Killington

I did get another shot without them behind, but it didn't have the trees in it. So it was no bogans, or no colour. Why do these things always happen after you've waiting a while for the photo?  :P

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

p_stampy