College Street Shenanigans

Started by smitho, March 25, 2009, 12:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

One of my passengers on the 313 today told me a car went into the rear of a parked broken down bus on College St this morning (24th Mch)....

Irisbus Rider

Ha ha, that'll be right. Drivers on College St are generally pathetic, with UC on one side, and Radford on the other, the place is an absolute shambles just atfer 8am, suprised it has not been listed as a black spot over the years. Thats why I take Ginninderra/Haydon :P

On a serious note, hope all involves walked away from the accident, there have been numerous incidents where rear-ending a bus have been fatal.

Bus 400

I think that this was one of the reasons behind the changes to the UC stops at the top of the hill & a reason why they may be finishing the duplication of College St & why buses don't go into the UC anymore.

Irisbus Rider

I believe the reason the bus stops were built like that is because too many vehicles rear ended buses pulling out. Odd thing is that this bus stop layout doesn't help the problem at all. A solution would have been to create a bus lane continuing out of the bus stop for a few metres, opposed to creating a 'bottleneck'.

The buses stopped entering UC because the intersections were too difficult to negotiate (getting out onto College St), and ACTION wanted uniformity with their services.

Bus 400

I think the layout could of also been the silly UC students would would stand in the way of the bus to cross the road (I did see it twice).

smitho

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 25, 2009, 07:55:18 PM
I think that this was one of the reasons behind the changes to the UC stops at the top of the hill & a reason why they may be finishing the duplication of College St & why buses don't go into the UC anymore.

We still operate into UC, but only on weekends - just the 980 from memory.
Another throwback to the past is Route 907 which goes into Fraser EAST Terminus........

Irisbus Rider

The 932, 934 and the 980 all go via UC on weekends. It really is blast from the past. Love hearing a 100.2 tackle the hill on Bimbimbie St, ahhhh.

There is a driver out there that still goes via the UC on weekdays when operating a 3! Not too good.....

smitho

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on March 25, 2009, 09:59:06 PM
The 932, 934 and the 980 all go via UC on weekends. It really is blast from the past. Love hearing a 100.2 tackle the hill on Bimbimbie St, ahhhh.

There is a driver out there that still goes via the UC on weekdays when operating a 3! Not too good.....
The 932 isn't supposed to go into UC these days, but I think it used to....

Irisbus Rider

Yes, you are actually correct, I was informed by another driver today about that. Thanks for the correction.

Bus 400

Would buses service go back into the UC once the intersection improvements are complete?

Irisbus Rider

Who knows. It would go against the aim of the new Network to simplify the routes, so I think not.

smitho

Quote from: smitho on March 26, 2009, 01:01:03 PM
The 932 isn't supposed to go into UC these days, but I think it used to....

This absent minded driver took his northbound 932 through University of Canberra on Saturday; punters on board didn't seem to mind.

In fact, one passenger pressed the bell and alighted at the main stop there.