Time to Talk - Canberra 2030

Started by Buzz Killington, January 25, 2011, 04:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

An outcomes report on Time to Talk - Canberra 2030 was recently released. Here are some mentions on Transport from the report:

Community Suggestions
"Pay extra rates to have free public transport"
"Make public transport the transport priority over private transport at all times"
"Trial free buses on weekends or holidays to let people sample the service"
"Establish a smaller and more flexible bus fleet"
"Canberra needs to be serviced with more sustainable public transport"

People were asked to rank seven specified transport initiatives to enable future residents to move around the city more easily. At 72% the most popular was "increasing density of dwellings close to transport corridors to support public transport usage."

Young People on Transport
"Getting around" was a discussion topic that drew considerable comment from young people. The need for easy, inexpensive and convenient public transport, and safer bus interchanges was frequently mentioned. However, in general it was felt that the current bus services are good. "Make it easier to get to shops and malls, especially on weekends." "A reliable, comfortable public transport system would make things better."

Disabilities on Transport
"Transport for us is the demonstration of inclusiveness."
"I'd like to see free public transport as soon as possible."
"We need an integrated and diverse transport system that keeps cars out of the city. I would like Civic to look more like a plaza with the cars on the outside – it would make it much or me to get around."
"Start light rail now, it will give us much more accessibility and flexibility with bikes, dogs, chairs, and other mobility aids."