Bus Stop and Shelter discussion

Started by route56, August 13, 2011, 03:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

Thanks for that photo. Is the current Floriade sign the same one ?

Bunker plans from the RATEC shed:

On the last 670 tour there was a guy from Melbourne, does anyone have his email address ? He shot quite a few photos of the bunker plans, with a much better camera than my box brownie.

smitho

I'll post some recent arrivals and departures (of bunkers) on the 'Where Have all the Bunkers Gone" page...

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on October 17, 2011, 09:15:57 PM
There's still some bunkers around the place with perspex 'windows' in them. Generally pretty filthy and not much good for looking through.
Not many around. The only one I've seen recently is outside Latham Primary School: both windows still intact.

smitho

The 'tin shelter' opposite the Hotel Statesman in Theodore St, Curtin (southbound), was removed several weeks ago.

smitho

New Adshel installed this week in Soward Way northbound, between Anketell St and Drakefdord Drive, Greenway. Work on two other Adshels in Greenway recently completed...at Athllon Drive southbound,  before Anketell, and at Anketell southbound adjoining Harris Scarfe's.

Kramden

Only a small point of difference but while running a 904 through Weetangera yesterday I noticed that the bunkers on Shumack St are painted in a much brighter orange than most others I've seen.  Perhaps they've had a clean, a recent paint job or the mix of orange is different to what's been used elsewhere.

Obviously it was a light pax load and I had the capacity to be observant of such fine detail.  Such is the case with many weekend runs.

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on November 05, 2011, 07:42:12 PM
Not many around. The only one I've seen recently is outside Latham Primary School: both windows still intact.

There are a couple in Lyneham. One on Mouat St opposite Archibald St, the other just around the corner in Archibald St. I'm fairly sure one of those still has both windows too.

King of Buses

Quote from: smitho on November 05, 2011, 10:30:08 PM
The 'tin shelter' opposite the Hotel Statesman in Theodore St, Curtin (southbound), was removed several weeks ago.

that has been gone for months. Not weeks.

smitho

Thanks for that correction; wonder where it has gone to. Sims Metal may be?

Kramden

While running a 67 service last night I noticed some blue and white bus stop signs.  They are located on Heagney and Deamer Sts Richardson/Chisholm area.  What makes them stand out is that they have the street name in bold typeface and that they are blue with white writing. Not a lot of them around.

Kramden

Quote from: route56 on October 18, 2011, 12:34:26 AM

If anyone knows of one with the perspex intact please let me know.

Apart from the one(s) mentioned by ACTbuspotter in the Latham area, Onslow?? or O'Loghlen??, I notice that the first stop on Leverrier (Belco bound) in the AIS precinct would be a good example.  It appears 'cleaner' than the those in Latham.  Also - and I can't swear to this on a stack of bibles - but a hurried glance at one of the colourful bunkers at the Bruce CIT looked like it had windows intact.  Even if not, those two CIT stops are worthy of inclusion due to their unique artwork.

Hope your project is going well.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Kramden on December 06, 2011, 08:46:19 AM
While running a 67 service last night I noticed some blue and white bus stop signs.  They are located on Heagney and Deamer Sts Richardson/Chisholm area.  What makes them stand out is that they have the street name in bold typeface and that they are blue with white writing. Not a lot of them around.
Pretty sure these were the ones before the Yellow signs of similar appearance. You will also find some in Isabella Plains. Some signs also had an attachment sign "Commuter Express Services stop here".

smitho

Hey Kramden, aren't they just the standard Commuter Express bus-stop signs which you will have driven past on many parts of the ACTION network, northside & southside? (They needed to be a disatinctive colour scheme as the former Commuter Express services only stopped at these distinctively identified stops).

As always, there are exceptions such as the northbound stop on Wentworth Ave opposite the railway station...it is a commuter express stop but identified with a unique style of black and yellow sign; the equivalent stop on the opposite side of the road had a standard yellow peg, but this peg was removed and the stop de-commissioned in the early days of Redex.

Kramden

Quote from: smitho on December 07, 2011, 12:26:13 AM
Hey Kramden, aren't they just the standard Commuter Express bus-stop signs which you will have driven past on many parts of the ACTION network, northside & southside? (They needed to be a disatinctive colour scheme as the former Commuter Express services only stopped at these distinctively identified stops).

In the case of Heagney and Deamer I think not. They are just regular bus stops from what I can see with no special notification re: 'Commuter Express'.  I do however, know what you're getting at.  I've seen a 'Commuter Express' sign on Moynihan St in Evatt. 

Buzz Killington

Like this?

Kramden

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 07, 2011, 04:48:08 PM
Like this?

Note: an image was in the original post.

Yes BK, but the ones on Heagney and Deamer are double, i. e. they have two narrow rectangular blue and white signs, one on top of the other.  I'd be interested to know of other locations that have this kind of signage.  They seem fairly rare.

Irisbus Rider

Without getting too specific, there are a couple in Gilmore, Richardson, Theodore, Calwell, and Isabella Plains. Hop on a 11/111, and you'll see plenty en-route. It seems as though these bus stops were typically installed in suburbs developed in the mid-late 80's, not to mention a rare few scattered around Canberra that I recall seeing, however, unfortunately, I can't cite their specific locations.

Buzz Killington

Used to be quite prolific in Kambah too along the old 710/711 routes.

From memory some are still in Gordon on Preddey Way, Clare Dennis Ave and Lewis Luxton Av

smitho

Quote from: Kramden on December 07, 2011, 12:36:17 AM
In the case of Heagney and Deamer I think not. They are just regular bus stops from what I can see with no special notification re: 'Commuter Express'.  I do however, know what you're getting at.  I've seen a 'Commuter Express' sign on Moynihan St in Evatt.

Yes, I see what you're saying. From memory, most (ifg not all) of these types of sign / blade are numbered as is evident in the photo above. There is one stop on the route 11 northbound through Isabella Plains where there is both a blue sign and a yellow sign, with the signs straddling each side of a residential driveway...curious!

Buzz Killington

There's a mobile library bus zone/stop sign on Furzer St Woden - not sure if the other libraries around town have them

Bus 400

The one shelter I think has been missed is the one on Ainsworth Street in Swinger Hill. It is built into the cutting with Butters Drive sitting on top.

lukeo25

the narabundah lane shelter be4 TGA woden bound has been removed

Bus 400

The Bimberi Youth Detention Centre Terminus features a new (user) plastic bus shelter.

So one of the quietest terminus no features 2 metal bench seats & a plastic shelter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on January 10, 2012, 05:30:46 PM
The Bimberi Youth Detention Centre Terminus features a new (user) plastic bus shelter.

So one of the quietest terminus no features 2 metal bench seats & a plastic shelter.

Interesting...Is it the same el cheapo type which uised to be on Narrabundah Lane?

Bus 400

Quote from: smitho on January 10, 2012, 09:45:05 PM
Interesting...Is it the same el cheapo type which uised to be on Narrabundah Lane?
Below is a photo of it:

smitho

Thanks Julian; it looks as if it is the one that was at Narrabundah Lane. Gee, they're a monstrosity of a bus shelter.

I've seen them around the outer suburbs of Adelaide (eg, Main South Road northbound at O'Halloran Hill). In Adelaide, they tend to get a warped appearance after a while, as if they've started to melt in the hot summer sun! Cheap and VERY nasty....

Thanks by the way, for following up that query I had re Deakin bunker @ Hospital northbound.

route56

Some time in the next week I'm heading over to Ainsworth Avenue, Swinger Hill to take some photos of a unique bus stop. Are there any other bus stops of note around that area i should look at while I'm there ? Location details will help.

Barry Drive

There's a painted shelter also in Ainsworth St (Woden bound) across from the school. The only others of interest nearby are the new CAM shelters on Athllon Dr near the depot.

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

Have you been over to the shelter outside Scullin Primary on Ross Smith Crescent? It looks to be the only type in Canberra that I have seen.

Bus 400

The bunker on Kent Street near the Deakin Exchange/Deakin High School/original Woden Valley entrance features a blue metal seat inside.

route56

I think that riotact post is a practical joke. its a school bus peg, which i suspect some japester has stolen and placed there.

Barry Drive

No, it's not. It's a genuine SIGNAL BUS peg. School bus-only pegs, if any exist anymore (which I doubt), are a different colour. The theory that's it's been installed for dementia sufferers is credible.

Sir Pompously

Goodwin in Monash has the same setup in the dementia section with a "SIGNAL BUS" peg next to a seat in one of the courtyards. I love how some people are complaining of cost. Chances are the street furniture would have been placed there anyway and the peg is at no cost to the current Government as it is just re-used!

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on February 28, 2013, 12:51:26 AM
School bus-only pegs, if any exist anymore (which I doubt), are a different colour.

There's two on the part of Boddington Crescent not serviced by the 60/160.

There also used to be some at the top of Livingston Ave and on McTaggart Crescent - would have to check to see if they are still there.

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on February 28, 2013, 12:51:26 AM
No, it's not. It's a genuine SIGNAL BUS peg. School bus-only pegs, if any exist anymore (which I doubt), are a different colour. The theory that's it's been installed for dementia sufferers is credible.

Yep. Newcastle Buses also assist local aged care facilities with internal bus stop setups.

There are many blue and white "School Services Only" pegs scattered throughout Hackett and Watson.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 28, 2013, 06:04:28 PM
There also used to be some at the top of Livingston Ave and on McTaggart Crescent - would have to check to see if they are still there.

Both blue and white 'school services only' pegs are still in place on Livingston Avenue.

Of the two bus stops on McTaggart Crescent, one of the school pegs is still in place, the other and has gone. According to Google Maps, the missing peg is at #38, the one still in place is just near the intersection with Coghill Cl (although both pegs appear on Google Maps)

smitho

Southern end of Strickland in Deakin has a white/blue peg.

Barry Drive

Reviving an old topic: several bus stops will be decommissioned in just over one week's time. The most notable ones are located on Bimbimbie St, Bruce which have served UC (and before it CCAE) since the 1970's. Hope that, if they get removed a new location can be found for them.

Other stops which will no longer be serviced:

• the bunkers on Leveririer Cr outside the AIS
  • Torrens Terminus (Basedow St)
  • the heritage shelter at Arthur Circle / Monaro Cres
  • Manuka Shops (Franklin St) - although Qcity may keep using it

smitho

Some (possibly most?) of these stops will be serviced by school runs still - for example, the S/R 488 to St Clare College will continue to use the Torrens Terminus.

vnguyen

There is also the stop inside Geoscience Australia which won't be used anymore.

Bus 400

I'm going through some bus stop data & a few historical significant stops no longer being serviced include:

Fibro thing Langton Crescent (opposite Treasury)
Bunkers on King George Terrace (outside Old Parliament House)

If I find any, I'll add them to this post.

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 24, 2014, 05:13:52 PM

If you happen to be out taking photos of these stops/to add to this list, the set of stops out the back on Queen Victoria Tce with old ACTION blades will be upgraded to new stops (or have been). Maybe transplanted NXTBUS blades from the stops out the front of Old Parliament House will appear here as well as on Federation Mall for the new route 1.

Bus 400

At the present stage, those stops on Queen Victoria Terrace aren't on the GTFS file. So they may not be serviced, to begin with.

Re: (Soon To Be) ex-NXTBUS Blades, I think the 200-300 odd old blades will be scrapped & the 50 odd new blades made for the new stops.

vnguyen

The bus stops on Matina St near Wambool St got a note up saying it won't be used in the new network. From memory those stops have not been used in years.

Also there is a stop on Sturt Ave (service lane) opposite of McIntyre St which still has the old bus stop blade on it. It didn't have any notes up on it as far as I can see.

Bus 400

For 2 more days, the 935 will head around that part of Narrabundah, ending a 40-50 year (if not more) bus service in the area (in previous years buses can into Narrabundah around the back of the shops before heading to the terminus).

That stop on the service lane was previously serviced by a school service. Same for the blue seat further down the lane. You'll also see a few pegs on Matina Street between the Narrabundah Terminus & Fyshwick Markets.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 24, 2014, 05:13:52 PM
I'm going through some bus stop data & a few historical significant stops no longer being serviced include:

If I find any, I'll add them to this post.

You are right about Langton Cres and King George Tce stops being historic; they were very busy with buses prior to the "new" Parlt House and associated roads being opened. King Edward Tce was not nearly as important for buses as there were fewer work places and national institutions in the vicinity compared with today.

King Edward Tce used to have a few sharp kinks in it and was more of a minor road than it is noday.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 24, 2014, 06:28:23 PM
For 2 more days, the 935 will head around that part of Narrabundah, ending a 40-50 year (if not more) bus service in the area (in previous years buses can into Narrabundah around the back of the shops before heading to the terminus).

That stop on the service lane was previously serviced by a school service. Same for the blue seat further down the lane. You'll also see a few pegs on Matina Street between the Narrabundah Terminus & Fyshwick Markets.

I understand that Narrabundah Terminus will continue to be serviced by the 935. Appears that Fyshwick Terminus will also continue to be served by weekend runs.

Buzz Killington

I've added a new page to the website - a listing of all* bus stops.

* - sourced from the Google Transit feed, so 'schools only' stops aren't listed. If I can find an easier way of finding those numbers than going through NXTBUS, I'll add them in at a later stage.

Feedback welcomed!