Virgin Australia

Started by Toyota Camry, April 18, 2020, 10:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toyota Camry

It appears that this carrier will soon cease to exist; I always prefer flying Qantas from Canberra Airport, therefore I do not care that it will disappear.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh well, they had to lose their virginity eventually...

Bus 400

Is there any evidence to show this?

Has the airline been offered for sale?

VA's suppliers are still offering services to VA & its customers. Some of which don't supply without millions in prepayment.

Sent from my SM-T670 using Tapatalk

Busnerd

Quote from: Toyota Camry on April 18, 2020, 10:00:27 PMIt appears that this carrier will soon cease to exist; I always prefer flying Qantas from Canberra Airport, therefore I do not care that it will disappear.
You will care when your tickets double in price due to a lack of competition.

Snorzac

My newly found high level of society as a member of the APS tells me that Virgin going under would be a great loss for the country, driving prices higher than ever, surely someone of EL1 status should know this and not have to have it drawn to their attentions by an APS3!

Barry Drive

A voluntary administrator has been appointed (or will be).

Snorzac

Whilst I had expected that KordaMentha would be appointed it appears that Deloitte will be appointed, sad times for the Australian industry!

Toyota Camry

This is a repeat of the 2001 Ansett collapse; it is unlikely that this airline will be saved, unless it is purchased by Qatar Airways. I am expecting that Regional Express will be the only competitor to Qantas; and only on a small number of regional routes. This may be a boom for other forms of transport, as the lower classes will no longer be able to afford to travel by air; both Jetstar and Qantas fares will rise.

Snorzac

Surely as an EL1 you would know that Qatar Airways is just another basket case of an airline financially, even an APS3 knows that, geez

Barry Drive

Quote from: Toyota Camry on April 20, 2020, 09:05:10 PMThis is a repeat of the 2001 Ansett collapse;
It really isn't, yet. The administrator has been appointed with the intention of keeping the company going.

Virign Australia Mark III will probably resemble Virgin Mark I by concentrating on high-volume, high-profit routes. So yes, the number of flights out of Canberra may be significantly fewer and I wouldn't expect Tiger Air to resume services. So there go the cheap flights to Melbourne and Brisbane.

Snorzac

I would anticipate that in the likely event Virgin are to be able to restructure they will somewhat resemble the final incarnation of Virgin Blue. A low cost carrier offering attractive options to business travellers such as premium economy, a frequent flyer program and lounge access, but mainly focussing on the all important leisure market with a full buy on board service (except maybe tea, coffee and water which was offered by Virgin Blue in the end). It was a good business model and worked quite well from them and I think it was a huge mistake moving away from it!

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Snorzac on April 21, 2020, 06:36:18 PMI would anticipate that in the likely event Virgin are to be able to restructure they will somewhat resemble the final incarnation of Virgin Blue. A low cost carrier offering attractive options to business travellers such as premium economy, a frequent flyer program and lounge access, but mainly focussing on the all important leisure market with a full buy on board service (except maybe tea, coffee and water which was offered by Virgin Blue in the end). It was a good business model and worked quite well from them and I think it was a huge mistake moving away from it!
This could see the end of Canberra as a crew base for Virgin Australia; if a new owner no longer wants to continue operating the ATR-72 regional fleet, it could also see the end of the Canberra to Sydney route, as this route is not viable with 737 or A320 aircraft.

Snorzac

Are you okay there champion? I think that's the first post you've made on this forum that actually makes sense!