Restoration of BUS 661

Started by Buzz Killington, March 17, 2010, 08:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Hi All,

Well, we didn't manage to get 674 (yet) but two members of the ACT Bus Team, Busn00b and Sir Pompously, have reached an agreement to purchase ex ACTION Bus 661, a Mercedes O.305. At this stage they will take ownership of this vehicle early next week.

The plan is to restore the bus to its former ACTION glory. This is no small task and therefore we are putting the call out to our members who may be able to assist.

I'll leave it to Busn00b and Sir Pompously to further appraise you of what assistance they're after, but in the meantime here's a few photos of how she's looking:

blackdragon

She looks in good condition for an almost 30 year old bus, whether the mechanical side of things is just as good is another story.

Sir Pompously

The bus will be checked out mechanically (It seemed fine by glance, just needed a belt, had oil), then should be good to go. This was the better of the two there. Executive decision has been made to paint this into the refurbished livery, so the MkII Livery orange over blue. Reason for this is the interior is the refurbished interior, the desto roll I have is a 1994 roll, and we thought that any other Merc 0305 being preserved will most likely end up in Z Stripe. So it is good to cover both sides. Also, we can then keep the brushes on the wheel arch, they look cool.

Busnerd

Here is a few pictures we took yesterday

Note: Attachment has expired.

Busnerd

cont...

Busnerd

and the last few...

Barry Drive

661 had a trial livery when it was refurbished by ACTION. These pictures can also be seen in the gallery.

CNG

I would be interested in playing a part in this bus thanks :D

particleman

Well done on this brilliant purchase!! I have a secret appreciation for O305s (Maybe it's because I'm from WA) Can't wait to see the progress!!

Busnerd

Update - whilst I wait for monday to roll around I have already managed to source a cab door, replacement seats and chin guards, a rear seat mirror, a front box for the desto, todd will be supplying his action desto roll, numbers should be in the box itself already.

Might replace two windows which have scratchiti on them as well with another bus. Um...what else have we found, oh yes should be able to fix the air con up with some elbow grease, also should be able to replace the cracked indicator lense on the front and replace the tail lights with round ones at some point too.

So we're going to be busy over the next while! But I will keep act bus posted with photos and reports of the progress :)

I thanks zac too for taking a few dollars off people on the tour for the project, every bit helps, money will probably go towards buying paint as we basically have all the parts required to fix it up already.

CNG

were will the bus be located because I do have a small property however my parents would not allow a bus to be kept there.

Sir Pompously

Your post is pointless by saying that you have a small property, but it would not be allowed to be kept there. Its not exactly like you were high on the list of people to ask as to if we could store the bus at theirs. All you needed to ask is 'Where will the bus be housed?' and in answer to that question, Sydney.

Buzz Killington

CNG

Quote from: Sir Pompously on March 21, 2010, 01:40:47 PM
Your post is pointless by saying that you have a small property, but it would not be allowed to be kept there. Its not exactly like you were high on the list of people to ask as to if we could store the bus at theirs. All you needed to ask is 'Where will the bus be housed?' and in answer to that question, Sydney.
I meant if I was alowed I would have kept it there for you, no need to be ignorant ++++++++++ >:(

Sir Pompously

Poor darling, go grab a kleenex.

BUS 661 has arrived at its new home and has been cleaned up a little on the inside. Mat will go into details, and I will try and organise with Buzz a page that we could have either on here, or on a blog site to highlight the progress with photos. Sadly being in Canberra and woirking Shiftwork myself gettin up there to do work will be difficult, but I will certainly try my darndest at every possible turn to work on it. Have picked up a Heavy Vehicle Handbook and Load Restraint guide from the shopfront today to prepare for my Learner MR.

Busnerd

Good work todd, let us know once you do the test and we'll have to take you out for some lessons!

Hi guys, I will hopefully get around to posting a progress report on here today if time permits! Working nightshift at the moment so it's a bit of a bitch.

Busnerd

Day 1

After a quick visit to Carnes Hill ANZ to withdraw the remaining $3000 needed to buy our bus we headed to Metro Link via Hungry Jacks for an alfresco whopper. We arrived and walked over to the idling merc which was building up its air bags for the first time in months which took some time to get the auxiliary air supply going but eventually it got there.

We then got in the bus, had another look over it before taking it for a quick drive around the block to see what it was like. We took it for a short cruise down the road and all seemed fine, so back to the depot we went to hand over the cash...after all was complete and the bus was ours we headed over to the scrapped mercs to begin getting parts out of them such as the grey frontrunner seats to replace the vinyl with, chinguards, spare windows and door glass and rubbers etc.

After about an hour and a half of getting parts we set off for it's new home at parkerland in oakville.

There was a little bit of smoke coming out of the engine at first but this soon subsided.

We arrived and got to work straight away, i changed all the seats over to the fabric ones, except for the base of the pensioner seat as we cannot source a red seat bottom so I've left the red vinyl on it. We have started to put chin guards on the seats but they are a pain in the bottom...i managed the grab a yellow one though, however we only have enough for half the bus.

I then removed all the stickers put on by NSW operators, and revealing older things underneath

The front header is now free of all but action stickers...looks pretty bare now

Here is the back end, i will remove the oliveries ticket guide, the non action no smoking sign, the when lights flash sticker and properly install the rear seat mirror and put the non damaged rear seat in.

I managed to find a no eating no drinking etc. sticker and put it there, although we might try and get new ones made up.

Things to do next are, replace a bulb in the next stop light.
Put the cab door back on
install the side and front desto boxes
finish installing the chinguards

That should take me a few hours there :)

Ill post another update next time I get to work on it

Snorzac

Let me know when you need some help with it. It is a good excuse for a trip to Sydney in the holidays

Sir Pompously

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Martin on March 18, 2010, 11:36:01 AM
661 had a trial livery when it was refurbished by ACTION. These pictures can also be seen in the gallery.

Do we know when it was repainted into the "orange over blue" livery - I have a photo of it in this livery which would have been taken in the late 90's, just before disposal.

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 17, 2010, 08:47:14 PM

The plan is to restore the bus to its former ACTION glory. This is no small task and therefore we are putting the call out to our members who may be able to assist.

How do you define former glory? Even in ACTION life it would have 2 or 3 different appearances.

Good to see that someone is attempting to preserve our bus history.

CNG

how much was the bus all together, because Iam interested in purchasing a second hand STA or Action Merc for my own enjoyment of driving a bus around a farm, a barn basher to furfill my dream of being a bus driver.

Snorzac

I am pretty sure that these buses go for around $4000

Busnerd

Anywhere from $2000 plus, if you buy a really crappy one or $4000 like ours are usually just fixer uppers with some work required but not much

Simes

Hey all,

First time I've dropped by and I thought I'd give a public "good stuff" to those who secured #661, it's in pretty damn good nick compared to my rust bucket shed (it's whats under the shed that interests me oh and a place to keep stuff as I do up my Sydney mercs) ironically they're both next to each other now too!

Quote from: Busn00b on April 12, 2010, 08:13:32 PM
Anywhere from $2000 plus, if you buy a really crappy one or $4000 like ours are usually just fixer uppers with some work required but not much
I really reckon they'll come back down to that once the STA start releasing more O305's onto the market, now there seems to be oddities at both extremes, there's not a plethora of blue and white ones - but no one is buying either, they're waiting for mark 4's.....so there's no supply but then there's not alot of demand either

Busnerd

Thanks to all for the help yesterday with the bus.

For those who werent there, we took some of the logos off the side and front, have removed the oliveris desto and put the canberra box in, we havent secured it yet cause we're waiting for todds desto roll first and then we'll give them a clean beforehand.

The side desto will be installed soon as well, and we are now trying to track down two more rolls of numbers for it.

Also thanks to Zac for adding some accident damage to the bus after hitting a tree stump in it yesterday, so we now have to replace the metal sheet under the fuel cap and buff out some scratches...

next time zac look in your mirror!

Snorzac

You said "Keep it at full lock until I tell you to straighten out"

You never told me to and that tree stump was not easy to see. When getting the bus away from it Ed struggled to see it...

Busnerd

What transpired was

me: keep it at full lock
zac: i wont make it
me: you will, once you clear the bus STOP
zac: ok
me: just remember once the mirror is clear stop as we need to turn the other way to clear the back
zac: *hits tree stump and laughs*

ed: *mouth drops open reminiscent of 389 hitting the platofrm 5 sign on the tour*

Snorzac

I did not laugh as son as I hit it, lol.

The Love Guru

You're all fucked, you should have had a professional at the wheel of such an awesome piece of mechanical history.

Zac (Stack, Stacka, Crash Bandicoot, Zac the Stack, etc etc ), EPIC FAIL! If you are steering it is your responsability to ensure you don't hit anything. NO ifs, buts, maybes. Hard way to get your first driving lesson though. At least it gives you an understanding of how things can go wrong very easily in heavy vehicles.

Simes

Quote from: Busn00b on April 22, 2010, 05:06:49 PM

Also thanks to Zac for adding some accident damage to the bus after hitting a tree stump in it yesterday, so we now have to replace the metal sheet under the fuel cap and buff out some scratches...

Take the one off the shed if it's in good nick

Snorzac

I think they already have...

Busnerd

No its behind too much grass didnt wanna get bitten by more biting ants, but thats the plan!

CNG

Gee if I got a chance to drive a bus I would savour the moment and not crash the thing. Lucky you any way, Iam jealous

Snorzac

Believe me it's not as easy as it looks, especially when you Are in a yard with about 50 other buses that you are trying to avoid hitting as well as many other obstacles.

Busnerd

You still did pretty good zac for having never driven before, if there wasnt shit everywhere like todds first drive in the flat paddock it would have been better haha, lucky we had ed around for his humerous expressions everytime you nearly hit something or sent him through the windscreen :P

The Love Guru

Quote from: Busn00b on April 24, 2010, 12:32:53 PM
You still did pretty good zac for having never driven before, if there wasnt shit everywhere like todds first drive in the flat paddock it would have been better haha, lucky we had ed around for his humerous expressions everytime you nearly hit something or sent him through the windscreen :P

Sounds like he has been trained at the STA!

Simes

Quote from: Busn00b on April 23, 2010, 03:32:58 PM
No its behind too much grass didnt wanna get bitten by more biting ants, but thats the plan!
Thanks for asking! :P Lucky the batteries are flat then

CNG

when 661 comes to canberra can I have a drive in it please?

Sir Pompously

CNG

But you let Zac have a drive, don't you trust me, not like I will crash it into a tree stump as previous members have done!

smitho

Fun and games!
Seriously though, its great to read of the progress with 661.

Snorzac

Quote from: CNG on April 29, 2010, 08:57:20 PM
But you let Zac have a drive, don't you trust me, not like I will crash it into a tree stump as previous members have done!
To put it simply, I am their friend, you on the other hand are not

The Love Guru

Quote from: Stacka on April 29, 2010, 09:49:18 PM
To put it simply, I am their friend, you on the other hand are not

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other thing is that you were driving on private property Zac, where as when/if it gets to Canberra it will be on public roads. Wonder if i can have a drive.............

If you guys do get it down here i have a suitable air compressor for painting it, as long as you can get a hold of a suitable paint.

Simes

Quote from: CNG on April 29, 2010, 05:40:50 PM
when 661 comes to canberra can I have a drive in it please?
Ahhh the joys of bus owning

CNG

I was only fooling around any way, but their was no need to get nasty lemon and chris guru it is not like you are the only people who have friends in the world. That is just rude and you will both lose friends if you act like that. Boo hoo I can't drive your bus so what, Iam buying one any how.

The Love Guru

Quote from: CNG on April 30, 2010, 07:23:27 AM
I was only fooling around any way, but their was no need to get nasty lemon and chris guru it is not like you are the only people who have friends in the world. That is just rude and you will both lose friends if you act like that. Boo hoo I can't drive your bus so what, Iam buying one any how.

I fail to see where i was rude to you CNG, however my gramatical skills are not up to Red Hill standards so you will have to forgive me on that count. It's a real shame that we can't be friends, I always feel bad when people of your social stature don't like me. I just can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. Could possibly be that i live in the real world and call it as i see it, something that is not tollerated in the Liberal heartlands of Snobville.

Buzz Killington

Let's try to stick to the topic please..

CNG

Quote from: Chris_Guru on April 30, 2010, 09:54:36 AM
I fail to see where i was rude to you CNG, however my gramatical skills are not up to Red Hill standards so you will have to forgive me on that count. It's a real shame that we can't be friends, I always feel bad when people of your social stature don't like me. I just can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. Could possibly be that i live in the real world and call it as i see it, something that is not tollerated in the Liberal heartlands of Snobville.
Sorry for the misunderstanding mate and I have no problem with you what so ever, I just did not read the facts correctly.