Restoration of BUS 661

Started by Buzz Killington, March 17, 2010, 08:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Please keep that sort of things to Personal Messaging please. The rest of the forum doesn't need to see it.

Busnerd

Managed to get a couple of things done on the bus tonight...

Desto roll is now in the bus, however we will need to rewire the light as the big one that was in there was a retrofit oliveri's light tube which doesnt fit with the action box in there.

Also god all the signwriting off the back and all but Metro off the offside, working on those bits on the front but it's a bit of a pain...

and thanks to stacka's accident, the area under the metal fuel cover is completely rusted so i guess lucky he ripped it off so that we can repair it.

Note: Attachment has expired.

Buzz Killington

Thanks for the update.. good thing Sir P had the desto roll!

Sir Pompously

Desto looks very nice! She should scrub up well in Blue and Orange. Good to see the Matrolink vehicle coming together, and since when did our bus become part of MyZone?

CNG

Quote from: Sir Pompously on May 10, 2010, 06:29:53 PM
Desto looks very nice! She should scrub up well in Blue and Orange. Good to see the Matrolink vehicle coming together, and since when did our bus become part of MyZone?
Out of curiosity how are you going to get the old number plates?

Bus 400

I am wondring if you are going to try to acquire & fit an old ACTION ticketing system or not?

Busnerd

Dependant on costs of registration and insurance etc. but we will try and get BUS 661 Nsw personalised yellow plates, I think they are $400 a year

p_stampy

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 10, 2010, 07:13:08 PM
I am wondring if you are going to try to acquire & fit an old ACTION ticketing system or not?

Where you drop the orange bits of paper in?

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 10, 2010, 07:13:08 PM

One of these? http://ratec.actbus.net/Memorabilia/album/slides/Fare-box%20red.html

Busnerd

we have access to one of those red ones seen above, however I personally am unsure if that is the correct box for the era we are refurbing it too, perhaps todd can shed some light...

Sir Pompously

The picture is very similar to the one we have access to. The box shown has a larger red box below the smaller box onthe top. We will have a fare-go box on the cab door. If we cannot track one down we will fashion one ourselves.

Barry Drive

The original rego was ZIB 661 (C of A plates). When I next use a computer, I'll let you know if the fare box is correct.

Busnerd

Yes but we are putting in refurb livery so it would have had BUS plates in that time

Barry Drive

The fare box in that photo was used at Interchanges. This photo (from RATEC) shows a PR100.2 with an original fare box and fare go ticket box.

If you want more detail, Belco depot have these in the memorabilia display. I might be able to get close-up photos if you need them.

Barry Drive

I was led to believe (by Stacka) that 661 no longer had its original speedo and had something from a Volvo. Looking at the photo of the dash that does appear to be the original item (based on what I can remember). Contrary to what I might have said previously (off board) the Mercs didn't come with the same VDO speedo that is used in the Renaults.

It does look as though someone has fitted a replacement sun guard for the dash lights.

Busnerd

It doesnt have to be 100% exact, yes it has a speedo with VOLVO written on it...but it works well and will stay...

I think that is the correct fare box we have access too, not sure how we can get a fare go box or a cash tray though :(

Sir Pompously

A Fare go box can easily be created if we do not have one. Remember my dad is a panel beater and good with metal and wood work, so he is happy to do one if we can't track one down that we can use (Aslong as we grab crucial dimensions and angles from the one at Belconnen Depot)

Busnerd

For no reason at all except that we can, we will be installing an interior ad for sydney buses metro bus 10 and 20 :P

Barry Drive

There is an ACTION bus which still has a ticket box fitted. Can anyone remember which one. (Just to get photos :-) )

Irisbus Rider

It used to be 842, not sure if it still has it. Othewrwise, I think it's eithr an 83*, 84* or 85* bus.

Snorzac

I thought one of the 700 series had it, try 78* or 79*

Busnerd

I also was sure it was 842 - definately a belco mk1 around that number somewhere, anything from 836 - 838 and 841 - 849 would be in that range there...

aaah i just remembered the good old days where we used to get two belco buses a day on our route, it was so exciting seeing things like 848 drive past, it was just like 856 or something normal to them but so interesting to us...

We often thought there were bus enthusiests n belconnen who would be excited at getting one tuggy bus a day like 823 or something and bein obsessed.

CNG

what depot was 661 originally from, was it belco?

Barry Drive

Quote from: CNG on May 20, 2010, 07:23:14 AM
what depot was 661 originally from, was it belco?
Define 'originally' - which depot was it first located at or which depot was it last located at? And why does it matter?

CNG

Buzz Killington

Belconnen for the majority of its life I believe.

Bus 400

What are these cash boxes you speak of? & Where would this cash box sit in the bus?

Barry Drive

Ticket bin is not in 842, 824 or 852. Will have to keep looking - but it might be a Tuggy bus.

661 started at Kingston depot (1983 ?) and would have moved to Belco when Kingston closed (1987 ?).

Busnerd

It is DEFINATELY in a belco bus, perhaps 846? im very sure it was somewhere within the 830 - 850 range, a belco bus too

King of Buses

I was wondering where Sir P got the Desto?

Sir Pompously

I was given the desto when I completed my Work Experience at ACTION in Year 10.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Busn00b on May 22, 2010, 02:26:16 AM
It is DEFINATELY in a belco bus, perhaps 846? im very sure it was somewhere within the 830 - 850 range, a belco bus too
IIRC, it was definately 842. I have photographic proof of this. But recently (12-18 months ago), 842 got a new drivers door, and/or the ticket bin was removed.

Unfortunately, the photo is now on my 'dead' portable hard drive, and is yet to be recovered.

Edit: Which I just tried to connect to my computer, and low and behold, it connected! YAY! There's thousands of old photos on there, hopefully, I'll get around to sharing some of them with you.

Buzz Killington

Hope you're copying all those photos to a more reliable device!!

Buzz Killington

A dedicated Gallery album to document the process is now available - http://actbus.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=28142

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 02, 2010, 06:51:16 PM
Hope you're copying all those photos to a more reliable device!!
Nah, it'll be right.........

The ticket disposal receptical in 842;

You'll just have to take my word that it's 842 ;)

Even though it's no longer in 842, I'm 100% positive that it's in another bus, as I've seen it, and if IIRC, it is a Tuggies bus.

p_stampy

Oh, I remember the day it went up to $3. People are such whingers...

CNG

Quote from: p_stampy on June 03, 2010, 08:14:22 AM
Oh, I remember the day it went up to $3. People are such whingers...

well that is quite a bit of money for just a single bus fare, so people had a right to be outraged and they weren't "such whingers"

p_stampy

Quote from: CNG on June 22, 2010, 04:25:56 PM
well that is quite a bit of money for just a single bus fare, so people had a right to be outraged and they weren't "such whingers"

Honestly, I dont think it is.

If you're other options are driving & paying for parking, it is in fact much cheaper.

If it's a distance thing (as in $4 to go 2km), well I suggest people walk instead if its not worth the soon to be $4.

Of course if you're unable to walk for some substantial time, I assume you would be on a concession fare instead.

Nothing in life is free.

Again, correct me if you think I am wrong CNG.

Bus 400

Bus 883 has screw holes set up like it had a ticket box thingy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bidgee

Quote from: p_stampy on June 22, 2010, 07:43:34 PM
Honestly, I dont think it is.

If you're other options are driving & paying for parking, it is in fact much cheaper.

If it's a distance thing (as in $4 to go 2km), well I suggest people walk instead if its not worth the soon to be $4.

Of course if you're unable to walk for some substantial time, I assume you would be on a concession fare instead.

Nothing in life is free.
Totally agree with you! Sounds like those whiners need to visit Wagga! 5km costs $4.40 (which is what I happily pay) but for those who live at Lake Albert (13.5km from Baylis to Lake Albert via Tatton but 9km from Lake Albert to Baylis St) pay $6+ (Have to look at the zone price) but still cheaper then a car or taxi.

How is the bus going? Any June photos?

p_stampy

Quote from: Bidgee on July 07, 2010, 01:17:58 AM

How is the bus going? Any June photos?

I believe about $8 was raised the other day to go towards the bus  :P

Sir Pompously

Mathew is going to procure a list of parts, and we will then move forward to purchase what we need. The main thing that needs to be completed at this stage is rust removal, which is a team effort as neither Mat nor I have done this before. We need number rolls, side desto box needs to be installed (An wires re-attached), cab door is proving difficult to get on, and rear lights need to be changed over to the original style (We have a set from a condemned bus). I have not been available to head up there, and Mat has been working hard so he has not been there either for a little bit. After rust removal and patching up the holes, lights in etc, hopefully we will have it painted asap.

Busnerd

Yes has been quite a pain with so much work lately that I haven't had a free minute but hopefully we can start some work on it again soon

Simes

More than happy to assist - just as long as the shed's not immobilised in any way

Busnerd

Might head up there tomorrow

Busnerd

Went up there today and got started on the rust removal...sanded back a few little rust bubbles and sprayed a bit of primer over them...its going to be a huge job to do all of it once we start taking rubbers and seals and windows out to do the rust around those but at least we know what is involved...

We finished getting off the Metro decals as well. As a suggestion to Todd perhaps we can sell the oliveri's desto roll on ebay to make some money for the bus!?

Note: Attachment has expired.

CNG

Even parts from the bus that you are not using, they sell for good money. However that really depends if there are any ;)

CNG

also how do you donate money to the project?

p_stampy

Quote from: CNG on July 17, 2010, 08:10:49 AM
also how do you donate money to the project?

Why would you want to donate to something you may not even touch?

It's not like cancer, where it may affect you one day.

CNG

it is something called being nice and I thought the guys might need some help.