Route 333's route in 1979

Started by smitho, January 02, 2010, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

New year greetings to all on the Forum!

I was looking at the 1979 ACTION network map recently and noticed it shows that one of the two southbound Route 333 stops (or 'Stands' as they refer to them) in Civic was in London Circuit, between Northbourne Ave and East Row, I guess after taking a left turn from Northbourne; the other one was at Electricity House.

I don't recall Woden bound 333s operating this way. Can anyone confirm that this was in fact the route which the southbound 333s took through Civic in 1979?   

Buzz Killington

Here's a portion of the map which shows the City Loading points:

Unfortunately 1979 was a little before my time, so one of the um, older guys here may know!

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on January 02, 2010, 09:07:24 PM
... I guess after taking a left turn from Northbourne; the other one was at Electricity House.

I don't recall Woden bound 333s operating this way. Can anyone confirm that this was in fact the route which the southbound 333s took through Civic in 1979?
West Row, not Northbourne Avenue. This was the same as route 16 which preceded it.

Here's a (black & white) scan of the original 333 timetable showing the route Belconnen - City

smitho

Thanks Martin - that solves the mystery.

PS - Your timetable refers to the Wednesday Canberra Times's back page having an ACTION news column each week. That'd be interesting.

smitho

Also note on Martin's timetable map that the route of the GDE is shown, and that was in 1979!

In those days, the National Capital Development Commission called the proposed road by another name - can't remember what it was though. And the proposed Gungahlin New Town wasn't formally named at that stage, although it was often referred to as the "Mulligans Flat" district in planning stuff.

Buzz Killington

I recall the GDE being referred to as the John Dedman Parkway for many years, although I have a feeling there was another name preceding it. Molonglo Parkway rings a bell. It looks like the GDE route is slightly different to what eventuated though.

There's some interesting old roads marked and different suburb names in a few areas in some of the old timetables too (there's a few examples in the gallery if you're interested). One has Gordon labelled as "Barney's Hill" whilst another labels Bonython as "Stranger"

I agree, it would be interesting to see these Wednesday ACTION updates that are referred to in all these old timetables!

Barry Drive

Note that the map shows the preferred western route of the John Dedman Parkway which passes much closer to Kaleen rather than the eastern route which got built.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on January 04, 2010, 05:21:25 PM

I agree, it would be interesting to see these Wednesday ACTION updates that are referred to in all these old timetables!

I think 'The Canberra Times' from those days may be available on-line now, possibly through the NLA website.

Barry Drive

Not quite. The Canberra Times is available at NLA for 1926-1954.