UTA at Belconnen

Started by Sir Pompously, December 26, 2010, 11:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

Was trawling through flickr! and found a pic of a Urban Transit Mercedes at Belconnen Interchange ACTION Canberra. John Coyle photo

Buzz Killington

Great find Sir P! Looks to be the original Bus 800 - a Mercedes O.405

ajw373

Indeed it is. Rode it on many times during it's short stay in Canberra.

Simes

Why didn't ACTION see the light then?  :P 

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Simes on January 12, 2011, 02:19:48 PM

They're in perpetual darkness.

ajw373

Quote from: Simes on January 12, 2011, 02:19:48 PM

By comparison to the Renaults they were receiving the Mercs were pov packs.

p_stampy

I went through a lot of the pictures. It looks like the trams in sydney went wayyyy out to the middle of no where almost, while others looked like they were servicing small towns rather than sydney.

Thanks for the link!

Buzz Killington

A larger version surfaced on Flickr, with the owner giving permission for us to reproduce it in our Gallery:

For a larger size click here

Simes

Quote from: ajw373 on January 12, 2011, 06:26:44 PM
By comparison to the Renaults they were receiving the Mercs were pov packs.

In terms of?
Those Ansair bodies for starters, give me gal over mild steel anyday

The Love Guru

Not 100% certain, but i'd take a guess that the Renaults did have galvinised steel frames as 20 years on there is no signs of rust in any of them, unlike the mercs.

As for the pov pack, the STA spec PMC bodies are a lot cheaper inside. Ansair built a very nice looking bus (from the drivers cab perspective). The other thing that would have instantly counted the PMC out of ACTIONs reckoning is the huge gap under the doors due to the uneven front stairwells in them. This would have caused huge drafts in winter and would have deemed them undrivable after dark.

Simes

Quote from: Chris_Guru on June 02, 2011, 10:41:32 AM
Not 100% certain, but i'd take a guess that the Renaults did have galvinised steel frames as 20 years on there is no signs of rust in any of them, unlike the mercs.

As for the pov pack, the STA spec PMC bodies are a lot cheaper inside. Ansair built a very nice looking bus (from the drivers cab perspective). The other thing that would have instantly counted the PMC out of ACTIONs reckoning is the huge gap under the doors due to the uneven front stairwells in them. This would have caused huge drafts in winter and would have deemed them undrivable after dark.
Granted, those issues could have been easily addressed, the last three delivered to Kingsgrove (3379 and 3380 at least) were fitted with saloon heaters (much like the O305's) for use on nightride to Campbelltown

I would be more interested in goings on down there if they had gone with the O405 :P lol