1974 Vehicle Shortage

Started by Buzz Killington, April 01, 2011, 09:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Around the end of 1973, the bus service was faced with a deteriorating vehicle situation.  For example, on 7 January 1974 almost 70 vehicles of the fleet of 180 were not available for traffic.  At the time, it was reported that the situation appeared to have arisen because of a number of factors, including a shortage of mechanics and the supply of spare parts [and new buses] being curtailed because of industrial disputes in Australia and overseas.  But the situation was about to get much worse, as free school travel was scheduled to be introduced on 1 February 1974.  Desperate times called for desperate measures!

This new addition to the site is courtesy of Les Pascoe - Read the full article here: http://actbus.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=921:1974-vehicle-shortage&catid=6:fleet&Itemid=5

Simes

I noticed they hired some 31 seater OPS2/1's from the PTC. Any fleet number details?

I'd like to record that for the disposals I look after - seems a portion of the other 31 seaters went north to Brisbane after the Paddington Tram depot fire
How long were they down there?

Barry Drive

Fleet numbers were shown on Fleet Wiki (Disposal List and Disposal Summary), but have now been added to the article.

Simes

Thank you MyWay So they were down there from Feb'74 until?

Just updated all the ex Sydney units - seems at least one 2633 ended up back in Canberra when it was purchased by Concrete Constructions. Mind you from what I can make out from what their withdrawal dates from the PTC, it would seem they were back in Sydney by late 1974?

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Simes on April 07, 2011, 02:51:37 AM
Thank you MyWay So they were down there from Feb'74 until?

As noted in the disposal list - various dates in August, September and December 1974.

Buzz Killington

A photo of 2609 from the RATEC Collection

Simes

Interesting, I wonder if that means the PTC considered them withdrawn before sending them ? (going by what look to be the local destos installed)