Restoration of BUS 661

Started by Buzz Killington, March 17, 2010, 08:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busnerd

Damage looks a bit worse now that I look at it, but personally I CBF fixing that...it needs authentic body damage if its going to be an ACTION bus again :)

I am currently seeking advice on the best method for the holes around the windows, whether we bog them or put some new steel in, I am unsure at the moment and would like to take the time to do it properly.

The Love Guru

Bogging it is visually no different to replacing it. Depends on how rusted out the old frame underneath is. If you are going to replace try and use a heavier duty steel than the mild steel that was used by Ansair. Personally, for the number of kms the bus will do, you are better off to chemically treat the rust then bog over it. This stops the rust in its tracks and the bog ensures that it can no longer be affected by air/water.

Simes

I've had a good look - some of the rust can be treated, HOWEVER the stuff down towards the back of the bus should be cut out and replaced with some box galvanised steel, since there are a few bits that were once box and are no longer.

Given the bus will probably remain outdoors rather than live undercover, going a bit further and replacing rather than bogging would be the better solution in my opinion. Best to spot the water ingress too, otherwise the bog will just keep on expanding - I could post piccys of the bog at the base of the windows in my shed to prove that point

The Love Guru

All depends on the type of bog used. I have used a polyester based bog, which is both water and rust proof. However, if the structural integrity of the metal being bogged is questionable it should be replaced. If chemically treated, the rust will not reappear in that are as it forms a seal on the surface of the metal. I have done this the roof of 670 and it has worked a treat so far, no sign of any rust reappearing as yet.

I have seen the rust at the back left of 661 and agree it is in much too poorer condition to be bogged up. All of the tube steel will need to be replaced in that corner and the source of the contamination found. The use of a galvanised steel and rust kill etch primer should solve the problem for good.

Simes

Yeah I'm not knocking the use of bog, my mk2 will have some in it I'm sure, but yeah when it's rust and it's structural, best to go a little over the top than doing "just enough"

Busnerd

We are planning to repanel the back nearside panel with a new one. We are also looking at new box steel as simes said for the inside of that same panel. We did discuss what to do with the sections between the windows but I forgot what they said but it's gonna be a mix of bogging and maybe some new metal but as I said I forgot what we decided to do!

King of Buses

I was just wondering (if at all) what has been done to her in the past few months?

Busnerd

Not a lot! I have since been up to see her and have had more talks about action plans. There will be some work done, I am waiting for Dean to finish his sydney merc (just needs to change a panel and paint) and he said he will help with mine. Also the parkers plan to help me replace those rusted bits of frame when they finish other projects theyre working on. We will get it done but it will take a while, due to work and other committments. but we will update you when something happens!

King of Buses

Thanks. Hopefully she can come for a tour sometime soon! ;D

Busnerd

Went up and saw her yesterday. Charged the batteries up...but they'll probably be flat the next time I get to it. Swept out all the rubbish that had built up inside and took all the junk out of it and left it in an empty batter tray of a stupid Leopard. Cleaned the stickers off what will be the cab door at some point and was also given about 10 rollover/seat tops that were going to be otherwise thrown out, so we now have enough for the whole bus and then some! There is also four spare windows I will be moving into the bus when I get the chance, its good to have spare parts!

Kurt has discussed with me yesterday that we should set the target to have the bus ready to show off at a Mercedes Benz club show next November. Apparently they will be enthused with the VOV front. So we have set that as the target to get the bus operational. Kurt has offered his assistance to help me in rust removal and bogging whenever i have some free weekends so it is good that someone is showing interest and is willing to help. I have been told a new steering wheel costs around $300+ so that is good to know the cost of that as we will need a new one before it would be registered! Also i have been advised the paint we need won't be TOO expensive and should only be a few hundred dollars. That said we will need blue, orange and arctic green!

Simes

When I start ripping into 646, hopefully I'll unearth some spots that will be good for paint samples

Simes

A fair few goodies that I have no use for on a Sydney O305 have been placed into 661 for further use (big one being air rams for the doors, I suspect they might also have been used in the Renaults?), along with a spare engine hatch, rub rails and spare back windows too

Oh and the remains went to scrap

Sir Pompously

Thanks Simes, you are legendary!!! We will have to update 646 to Scrapped.

Simes

Quote from: Sir Pompously on September 01, 2012, 11:21:00 PM
Thanks Simes, you are legendary!!! We will have to update 646 to Scrapped.

It's just up to you and your partner in crime to come sort it out/put it away - space can be provided for in a mk2 shed if needbe, but some stuff is out in the weather at the moment (which won't be good for it)

Oh yeah and the little piece of stainless under the fuel filler - I think there are one or two more canberra mercs to go so it would be in both your interests to come and have a pick!

Busnerd

Still need a little section of flooring and bag rack mesh!

Simes

Quote from: Busnerd on September 03, 2012, 11:16:41 PM
and bag rack mesh!
I got that off 646 seems it went with it rather than got out of it! Sorry :(

Busnerd

Dang! Oh well I'll have to try and get some later from god knows where, unless we buy some other wrecked renault for $500 down the track??

Good news! whilst looking at the next 0305 to be scrapped last night I discovered it had not only the front square amber light fittings i need but also the red side bullet lights i need! so hopefully i can get them on the renault today, as well as installation of 6 of our new 8 round tail lights and hopefully with the batteries properly charged we might get it to turn over!