Bus Service Driving for Bigger Budget

Started by Buzz Killington, December 06, 2008, 06:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Buoyed by a 7.4 per cent increase in passengers since June, Canberra's bus service will seek more money from next year's ACT budget to increase the frequency of buses.
The Government significantly cut ACTION bus services in December 2006, causing overcrowding on peak services, late arrivals and about a 3 per cent reduction in passengers.

Improvements first promised for October last year were deferred to February this year, then to April 28, and finally introduced on June 2, but with weekend improvements delayed indefinitely.

Since the changes on June 2, there has been a 9 per cent increase in adult journeys, a 4.1 per cent increase in passengers with concessions, and a 2.8 per cent increase in travel by school students.

Last year, ACTION general manager Tom Elliott said he hoped to extend more frequent services to about 10am, but this would be up to the Government.

Mr Elliott said this week he would seek funds from next year's budget for increased services around the daily peak periods.

Increasing services before and after the peaks would have a good impact at minimal cost.

ACTION was considering introducing more frequent services to 10am and to 7pm, he said. It was recognised people wanted greater flexibility.

ACTION would encourage extending Canberra's peak periods, which were among the shortest in Australia, he said.

There will be changes to the network in February to coincide with the beginning of the first school term.

These will include 77 adjusted school services and 10 new school services.

Further timetable changes are due to begin on April 28 to coincide with demolition of the Belconnen bus interchange.

Mr Elliott said the impact of changed schedules would be felt for 18 months.

While the new Belconnen interchange is built, bus stations will be on Cohen Street, near the bus depot, Lathlain Street and Cameron Avenue.

After the new interchange is built, passengers will be dropped at a bus lounge on the upper level of the Belconnen Mall and four bus stops will be serviced by all Belconnen buses.

Mr Elliott said there had been discussions between the Chief Minister's Department and Westfield over a new Woden bus interchange. The aim would be to provide an interchange, integrated with the shopping centre, similar to the facility at Belconnen.

''I think there is a commitment to go forward with it. It is just about when and how,'' Mr Elliot said.

He hoped that once the Belconnen project gained momentum, Westfield would want to redevelop the Woden site. Meanwhile, ACTION was seeking to again take over the Phillip bus depot.

More space was needed for the increased bus fleet and an area would be needed to service the Molonglo development and to operate buses on the east-west axis.

The depot is currently leased to Capital Storage.

Mr Elliott said there had been some minor additions to weekend services and consideration was being given to beginning some Sunday services earlier. But at this point, there were no plans to change weekend services.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/bus-service-driving-for-bigger-budget/1379367.aspx?storypage=0

lukeo25

"Meanwhile, ACTION was seeking to again take over the Phillip bus depot."
> good idea

Bus 400

I wonder if the new Belconnen Interchange will be similar to Bondi Junction Station (Sydney NSW) where it is an open lounge & doors that open when the bus stops at the platform.

Snorzac

There are plans for the redevelopment in the information office in the City Bus interchange.

Bus 400

Quote from: MAN 18.310 CNG on December 07, 2008, 07:09:57 PM
There are plans for the redevelopment in the information office in the City Bus interchange.
But it only recently opened. Maybe they will reopen the big old one where Dick Smith Electronics is now....

Snorzac

Read the post properly.

There are plans for the redevelopment of the Belconnen Bus interchange and mall in the Civic Information OFICE>

Irisbus Rider

How would ACTION require more space for more buses, 10 years ago, we had more buses, and the same facilities.

Yeah, get ready for a turbulent and confusing year next year, we will have 2 network changes, possibly 3!

z80

For how to park hundreds of buses into a tiny space they should call Shenton Park over here in Perth :-) Their system works well until a bus breaks down and can't be moved.

Bus 400

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on December 08, 2008, 09:30:18 PM
How would ACTION require more space for more buses, 10 years ago, we had more buses, and the same facilities.

The reason for reopening Woden Depot is that you have drivers that terminate in Weston Creek/Woden/City & have to drive all the way back to Tuggeranong/Belconnen when the driver themselves lives in Weston Creek/Woden/City. But if there is a depot closer, it will mean less travelling & they will have the room for more buses to service future Molonglo & the ever expanding Gungahlin area.

Irisbus Rider

A Mitchell Depot (to replace the Belconnen depot) would be ideal (as another driver and myself have discussed).

A Woden depot would not store more than 30 vehicles and would only act as a depot for peak hour buses starting in the area.

belcodriver

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on December 09, 2008, 11:02:45 PM
A Mitchell Depot (to replace the Belconnen depot) would be ideal (as another driver and myself have discussed).

A Woden depot would not store more than 30 vehicles and would only act as a depot for peak hour buses starting in the area.

Bugger that, I'd much rather the depot is near the mall than in the wasteland of Mitchell.

There was some talk of reopening Woden as a mini-depot a few years ago with about 30 buses and I guess a few mechanics for minor repairs. How many buses did Woden have when it was open?

Buzz Killington

Quote from: belcodriver on December 10, 2008, 12:36:14 PM
How many buses did Woden have when it was open?

119 buses in 1994, but im pretty sure the depot is much smaller now than it was then due to other development (Shea St runs through where it used to be, and that medical centre and storage place took up a good chunk of it too i believe)

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: belcodriver on December 10, 2008, 12:36:14 PM
Quote from: Irisbus Rider on December 09, 2008, 11:02:45 PM

Bugger that, I'd much rather the depot is near the mall than in the wasteland of Mitchell.
Ha ha, true, it is much better for the drivers to have it located at Belco, as you c an do your shopping if you've got a meal break at the depot, or if it's a split shift.

But an extra 200+ employees in Mitchell would sure help the local area.

belcodriver

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on December 10, 2008, 09:51:59 PM
But an extra 200+ employees in Mitchell would sure help the local area.

That's nice, I should care because?

Irisbus Rider

Ha ha, true.

Yeah, Belconnen is central enough, and I think the two depot network network works well enough (talking about Woden there).