Game: Street Names

Started by Barry Drive, December 23, 2021, 05:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King of Buses

Hazel St, Oaks Estate.

narc855

triumph

triumph

Quote from: narc855 on January 08, 2022, 11:38:38 AMI can't find it, don't know why the first post I see is "Abena Ave, Crace" by Stan bulter.
My submission: Franklin Street, Manuka (stop 2327, used by 830 service)
When I replied earlier both my computer and mobile would take me back as described. But now, like your experience both are halting at Abena St. No idea why.

Snorzac

Northside

Interstingly enough, Federal Hwy

narc855

triumph

Barry Drive

Parliament Drive.

(It's a set.)

Snorzac

narc855

Federation Mall, Capital Hill

Northside

triumph

narc855

Since no one wants a go
O'Connell St, Ainslie

Northside

Vowels Cres, Bruce

❌ already used. Please wait for two valid answers before playing again.

triumph

Barry Drive

Sylvan Loves Buses

Still quite a few in Gungahlin left.

Kings Avenue.

triumph

narc855

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on January 14, 2022, 12:54:39 PMKings Avenue.
This one could be a bit tricky.
The stop IDs for two stops on Kings Ave are 3012 and 3028 which are not adjacent.
Their names are "Edmund Barton Building Kings Av" and "Kings Av before King Edward Tce" which are irrelevant.
So I prefer to treat them as two separate stops.
(Discussion only, it's obivously reasonable to treat them as a set of stops.)

narc855

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: narc855 on January 15, 2022, 09:10:25 AMThis one could be a bit tricky.
The stop IDs for two stops on Kings Ave are 3012 and 3028 which are not adjacent.
I would say the same could be said for a couple others, most notably Parliament Drive, but that's been allowed.

Zakharov Avenue, Forde.

Northside

William Slim Dr (but not for long)

❌ this is an invalid answer. William Slim Drive does not exist.

triumph

Quote from: Northside on January 15, 2022, 11:22:14 PMWilliam Slim Dr (but not for long)

Very interesting and tough ruling. When I was last that way the signage was not changed.

It is reported the Minister approved the name change to Gundaroo Dr about a year ago BUT the signage change was only to be implemented with the duplication works. Analagous to a law passed by Parliament but not yet put into effect pending regulations. I would argue that until the signage has been changed, it is still effectively William Slim Drive (think accident reports, insurance claims, calls to emergency services, etc would almost all cite the displayed name). Notably for this game, Transport Canberra mapping and stop identification is not yet changed either. More difficult is Gundaroo Dr doesn't qualify as a game answer.

For game purposes at this point there is no practical effect as the final few names have not been reached and Northside has not been penalised. So just academic ( but I was saving it for a much later try if it had remained available.....).

On the topic of game conclusion, perhaps it is time to tell us the finalisation rules. eg how long does the last apparent entry have to stand before being declared the winner, or will a time limited warning be issued, or ??? ?

triumph

narc855

Gozzard St, Gungahlin
The front page list requires an update now I think.

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on January 16, 2022, 12:23:52 PMVery interesting and tough ruling.
All valid points. However, the name change was gazetted in Feb 2021.

The fact that the signs and stop name descriptions have not been updated is not within our control.

Also, no penalty.

As for the completion of the game: I'm thinking of a 7 day limit - once 7 days have passed the final entry will be the winner.

While I'm here: after further consideration of what constitutes a "set" of bus stops, the answer Johnson Dr is now ruled invalid since each stop serves different routes and are therefore two stops rather than a set. No penalty.

Chewings Street
❌ incorrect. I'll now penalise myself by waiting 3 valid answers.

Northside

Quote from: Northside on January 15, 2022, 11:22:14 PMWilliam Slim Dr (but not for long)

Well, you learn something new every day.

MacArthur Av, O'Connor

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on January 16, 2022, 05:16:48 PMWhile I'm here: after further consideration of what constitutes a "set" of bus stops, the answer Johnson Dr is now ruled invalid since each stop serves different routes and are therefore two stops rather than a set. No penalty.

On this basis, now that a 'set' is ruled as being the same route number as well as being geographical, I withdraw my previous submission 'State Circle'.

Also, given that a number of routes particularly in Gungahlin and Tuggeranong are different route numbers in reverse (clock/anticlock) directions, all other submissions will now need to be checked for compliance and for anyone caught up (like I was) by thus being in the position of making successive submissions. Might be easier to just revert to the geographical standard.

triumph

Whitrod Avenue, Casey. (Route 28)

Snorzac

Northside

Sydney Ave Barton/Forrest (842)

Barry Drive

Curran Drive. (I even checked before posting this time.)

King of Buses

Quote from: triumph on January 17, 2022, 08:03:42 AMAlso, given that a number of routes particularly in Gungahlin and Tuggeranong are different route numbers in reverse (clock/anticlock) directions, all other submissions will now need to be checked for compliance and for anyone caught up (like I was) by thus being in the position of making successive submissions. Might be easier to just revert to the geographical standard

Don't agree bi-directional loop routes should be treated as two separate routes. In the same way there's a "set" or "pair" of stops, they're a "paired" set of routes and should be considered the same as a in/out route from A to B because they service the same places.

So, to see if others agree: Grenfell Ave, Taylor.

narc855

Don't think it makes any sense to be treated as two separate routes neither.
Henry Williams St, Bonner

Snorzac

triumph

Quote from: King of Buses on January 17, 2022, 08:30:53 PMDon't agree bi-directional loop routes should be treated as two separate routes. In the same way there's a "set" or "pair" of stops, they're a "paired" set of routes and should be considered the same as a in/out route from A to B because they service the same places.

So, to see if others agree: Grenfell Ave, Taylor.
Agreed, but that is not what was determined - separate routes, separate stops. Definitional problems again, what is a route? A route has a route number - different number, different route. This is a strict interpretation and no different to the strictness applied in dealing with the name for former William Slim Drive.

Sylvan Loves Buses

God, so much fussing over a game with...

Quote from: Barry Drive on December 28, 2021, 10:49:29 PMJust a reminder: there is no prize.

Macnaughton Street, Higgins

Northside

I'd say this set business about routes is getting a bit persnickety. Johnson Dr is a set, they both serve the park and ride. It just so happens that one route serves one side of the stop and two different routes serve the other die to recent route changes. Many stop sets are located either side of an intersection and when a route changes to only serve one side of the stop, it doesn't make that set any less of a set. Just my opinion.

Anyway, Eastern Valley Way

Snorzac

narc855

In my opinion, a "route" could be the same alignment OR the same number.

1. 19 and 20 are the same route because both of them are described as "Gungahlin loop via Forde, Bonner and Amaroo".
2. not apply in Canberra, but does apply in Sydney. 642x (Round Corner Shops to Cherrybrook Station) and 642x peak version (Round Corner Shops to Kent Street City) are the same route because they have the same route number.

My submission: Francis Forde Blvd, Forde.

triumph

Redruth Street, Crace

Northside

Bindubi St, Cook/Aranda

⚠️ close. It's actually Macquarie (Stop 4494)

Thanks for the correction

Barry Drive

Can't believe it took this long:

Moyes Cres

Sylvan Loves Buses

I'm surprised, I have my own list yet missed so many still.

Len Waters, Ngunnawal

triumph

narc855

Northside

Len Waters St, Ngunnawal

❌ already used. Wait three valid answers.

Snorzac

Northside

Quote from: Northside on January 19, 2022, 07:26:21 PMLen Waters St, Ngunnawal

❌ already used. Wait three valid answers.

Lol, didn't look high enough