ACTION Gold Pass

Started by CanberraTransport, May 08, 2008, 06:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanberraTransport

WIN News just reported that ACTION will implement a new 'gold pass' in July of this year, providing over 75-year-olds with free bus travel.

Buzz Killington

Irisbus Rider

Damn, I wish I could pass myself off as a 75 y/o.....

Bus 400

I thought that ex ACTION staff already had gold passses for free travel?

Bus 400

Found this article on the ACT Government website
FREE ACTION TRAVEL FOR OVER 75?s

The Stanhope Government will provide Free ACTION Travel to ACT residents over 75.

?The ACT Government is committing $500 000, over four years, towards a Gold Pass program for over 75?s,? said Mr Hargreaves.

?The Gold Pass initiative, starting on 1 July 2008, is linked to the existing older driver?s awareness program where it is recommended that drivers over the age of 75 years consider their driving circumstances.

?The objective of the scheme is to encourage existing drivers over the age of 75 years to surrender their driver?s licence, where they may no longer be capable of driving safely, by providing free transport on ACTION buses.

?To be eligible for a Gold Pass, a person must be 75 years of age or older and be an ACT resident. 

?Currently, between 200 and 300 persons, in this age group, surrender their licence each year,? said Mr Hargreaves.

It is not a requirement that licences be surrendered but it is hoped that once our older citizens see the benefits of bus travel, they will reconsider the need to retain a drivers? licence. 

The gold pass will contain the same identification details as a drivers licence and should be able to substitute for the licence as a proof of ID

This initiative continues the range of public transport enhancements of the Stanhope Government.
This means that my Grandmother will get free bus rides as she handed in her license a few years ago & uses buses lots.

Busnerd

Unless she moved to Perth..

Bus 400

They still have to pay in Perth

Buzz Killington

hahahaha

Quote from: TP 3000 on May 08, 2008, 09:58:48 PM

and that has what to do with free travel for seniors?

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on May 08, 2008, 09:58:48 PM

AFAIK only if they worked for ACTION for at least 15 yrs.

Snorzac

why bother printing off a paper ticket when they have a gold card. if the government wants to save the enviroment then they should stop handing out paper tickets to gold card holders.

Barry Drive

Without issuing a paper ticket, ACTION would not be able to determine how much usage the Gold Pass is getting and on which services.