December/January timetable

Started by Barry Drive, November 30, 2019, 10:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Since Bus400 alerted me to this: the GTFS covering the reduced timetable period has just been published.

Modified weekday timetable will apply from 23 December to 10 January.

The Sunday timetable will operate on Saturdays 28 December and 4 January as well as 26 December and 1 January.

The significant change this year is that Christmas Day will NOT use separate routes, just a reduced timetable. For loop routes, there will be 4 services; for local routes, most will operate as 4 in each direction; most Rapids will operate 7 in each direction apart from R4 which will run 14 services in each direction.

There do not appear to be any "Nightrider" in the GTFS, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't operate. (Although by this time last year Nightrider details had been announced, so perhaps it won't be happening.)

Northside

Any thoughts on whether the L1 will run for either Christmas Day or the 'Nightrider' runs, or are they likely to run buses as an R1 instead? Would that even be possible according to the contract with Capital Metro?

Busnerd

It will run a standard Sunday timetable on Christmas day as it is a public holiday.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Busnerd on December 02, 2019, 10:39:38 PMIt will run a standard Sunday timetable on Christmas day as it is a public holiday.
Highly unlikely; even the R4 is only funded for a 30 minute service between 0900 - 1600 on that day. The most likely occurrence is the L1 will run every 30 minutes between 0900 and 1600 also, in line with the R4; were a standard Sunday service to operate, it would be highly inequitable for such a hugely superior service to be operated to Canberra's finest district (Gungahlin) as opposed to other districts such as those south of the lake with only individual rapid routes running at reduced frequencies for less than half of standard Sunday operating hours.

Busnerd

Quote from: Toyota Camry on December 03, 2019, 02:14:42 PMHighly unlikely; even the R4 is only funded for a 30 minute service between 0900 - 1600 on that day. The most likely occurrence is the L1 will run every 30 minutes between 0900 and 1600 also, in line with the R4; were a standard Sunday service to operate, it would be highly inequitable for such a hugely superior service to be operated to Canberra's finest district (Gungahlin) as opposed to other districts such as those south of the lake with only individual rapid routes running at reduced frequencies for less than half of standard Sunday operating hours.
Not unlikely at all, a sunday timetable will run for light rail operations.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Busnerd on December 05, 2019, 09:02:03 AMNot unlikely at all, a sunday timetable will run for light rail operations.
Then a standard Sunday service should be provided for Transport Canberra buses; you are telling me that if you are going to Woden or Tuggeranong, your last bus is at 4pm, but to Gungahlin the light rail will run until 11pm at 15 minute intervals.

Busnerd

That's exactly what you are being told.

Toyota Camry

Whilst personally as a Ngunnawal resident I benefit from this, and may use the L1 to travel to Civic for dinner on Christmas Night; it is things like this that make it apparent why the Tuggeranong area has a disturbing liking for the Canberra Liberals, a party that no normal Canberran would normally vote for. It is common sentiment in the far south that they are being forgotten by the ACT Government in relation to services and infrastructure; whilst I do have faith in our excellent Barr Government, events like this do make one aware that there is grounds for this sentiment.

Northside

There's no politicking at play here. It's pretty simple, cmet have different enterprise agreements to action and they have a different obligation under their contract to provide a service.

triumph

Quote from: Northside on December 06, 2019, 07:52:28 PMThere's no politicking at play here. It's pretty simple, cmet have different enterprise agreements to action and they have a different obligation under their contract to provide a service.
Why would the users care about enterprise distinctions. If the bus network operates a substantially limited service compared with Light Rail then what they see is simply two classes of citizens, those getting good service and most who aren't. Surely it is reasonable to regard this as a political issue, in the same way the Government is wearing approbrium over the weekend local bus service stuff up.

triumph

Quote from: Toyota Camry on December 05, 2019, 04:37:41 PMmay use the L1 to travel
Have noticed 'L1' regularly used in some posts. Isn't it R1?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on December 06, 2019, 10:56:55 PMHave noticed 'L1' regularly used in some posts. Isn't it R1?

Nope, it's 'EL1'. ;)

Barry Drive

Quote from: Northside on December 06, 2019, 07:52:28 PMThere's no politicking at play here. It's pretty simple, cmet have different enterprise agreements to action and they have a different obligation under their contract to provide a service.
It's nothing to do with "enterprise agreements". The TC (bus) enterprise agreement makes no reference to operating hours on 25 December (read it for yourself), only that drivers who are working are paid at 200%.

However, you are correct about "obligation under their contract". I have just checked the Canberra Metro contract and it only refers to "public holidays" – so Canberra Metro are contractually obliged to run a full Sunday service on 25 December.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on December 07, 2019, 09:51:59 AMso Canberra Metro are contractually obliged to run a full Sunday service on 25 December.
Quite so, BUT the parties to the Contract can always agree to a 'variation'. Has there been a 'variation'? If not then full Public Holiday service would apply.

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 07, 2019, 08:50:58 AMNope, it's 'EL1'. ;)
You say 'EL1' and Toyota Camry regularly refers to 'L1' for the Light Rail route.

Looking at maps, the printed timetables maps refer to 'R1', the TC website map (getting around) shows 'R1', and the CMET operations website map also shows 'R1'. Nowhere did I come across 'L1' or 'EL1'.

The only difference I have noticed, is the MyWay record drops the 'R' from all Rapid routes.

At a recent function attended by TC representatives some one asked what was 'R1' and was told it was the Light Rail.

In what PT did I get today posts, I have regularly referred to 'R1' and no one has picked me up on that.

So, what is the story for 'L1'/'EL1'?

Sylvan Loves Buses

You do know a joke when you see one right?

Bus 503

Quote from: triumph on December 07, 2019, 10:14:18 PMYou say 'EL1' and Toyota Camry regularly refers to 'L1' for the Light Rail route.

Looking at maps, the printed timetables maps refer to 'R1', the TC website map (getting around) shows 'R1', and the CMET operations website map also shows 'R1'. Nowhere did I come across 'L1' or 'EL1'.

The only difference I have noticed, is the MyWay record drops the 'R' from all Rapid routes.

At a recent function attended by TC representatives some one asked what was 'R1' and was told it was the Light Rail.

In what PT did I get today posts, I have regularly referred to 'R1' and no one has picked me up on that.

So, what is the story for 'L1'/'EL1'?

Surprised that no one else had responded to this.
I'm presuming people call it the L1, as TfNSW uses the L-prefix as a naming convention for light rail lines in Sydney.

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 08, 2019, 06:10:51 AMYou do know a joke when you see one right?
Got me. I didn't twig. Just shows how little notice I took of irrelevant references to 'EL1' in some other posts.

(Noted also that Toyota Camry referred to 'R1', not 'L1', in latest post concerning emergency bus in lieu of light rail yesterday.)

Northside

So... here we are almost at the second weekend in December. I'm assuming that late night services just got quietly scrapped or some marketing manager has really dropped the ball this year!

As a reminder, last year saw the red and blue rapid services run frequently in partnership with a discounted uber trip. I was looking forward to seeing which of the new rapids would be used. But maybe it's not to be...

triumph

TC has announced the holiday arrangements. Buses, as in previous years, will operate to a holiday TT with Sunday TT on Public Holidays and special TT for Christmas Day services. A hard copy TT will be available. The Holiday TT covers the period Mon 23 Dec to Fri 10th Jan.

In principle, this is wrong, as anyone not enjoying a holiday and relying on public transport is potentially inconvenienced or even prevented from necessary travel. Reliability and consistency is key for anyone deciding to use public transport in lieu of private vehicle ownership.

Light rail will operate as normal with Sunday TT applying to Public Holidays incl Christmas Day.

So, two categories of service have come to pass. 'Normal' on light rail and 'limited' on buses. A very discriminatory situation.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on December 13, 2019, 05:12:58 PM...'limited' on buses. A very discriminatory situation.
Sounds pretty normal to me.

I had a little look through the revised network, and from the little I've seen, it looks like the revised network is actually better than the one we currently have... The black and white doesn't help though, might need to use my binoculars to see the flaws better.

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 13, 2019, 08:21:32 PMSounds pretty normal to me.

I had a little look through the revised network, and from the little I've seen, it looks like the revised network is actually better than the one we currently have... The black and white doesn't help though, might need to use my binoculars to see the flaws better.
Thanks. I took a closer look and found it better than I had expected. Looked at R3 ex City to Spence. Weekday normal 70 departures, Christmas 69 and last departure 11 min earlier.
Also rte 42 ex Belconnen. Weekday normal (excluding school, including school holiday) 33 departures, Christmas 31 with first 22 min later and last 8 min later.
With such minor changes, if reflected through the system, why bother.
Don't resile from reliability and consistency comments. The TTs at stops will display the normal and any one not following events closely could be fooled. Plus, in general, public acceptance is best supported with those characteristics.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 30, 2019, 10:22:16 AMThere do not appear to be any "Nightrider" in the GTFS, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't operate. (Although by this time last year Nightrider details had been announced, so perhaps it won't be happening.)
Looking in the TC website, they are promoting the regular services as suitable for being out reasonably late. This implies no 'Nightrider' or Uber relationship.

Barry Drive

Agreed. Although they have also announced additional services on New Year's Eve including buses to "major bus stations" until 2am. This includes buses to Gungahlin once Light Rail ceases at 0130.

No indication whether these extra services will be paid fares or free like Skyfire shuttles.

https://www.transport.act.gov.au/news/news-and-events-items/december-2019/new-years-eve-in-the-city

Bus 503

Being Christmas Day today, some observation about the buses that operated today:
- All services run by Tuggeranong depot.
- Euro 6 Scanias were predominant.
- A handful of MANs were also used - 402, 442, 444, 495, 496, 497.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Also from the revised timetable, there seems to be quite a few CNG buses used on Tuggeranong shifts. I've been looking out for Renaults, and I was about to give up hope on my 1000th trip being one (again) as I could only see them up in Gungahlin, but there's one Renault throughout the whole day being used on a local route.

Barry Drive

CNG buses make up over 30% of the Tuggeranong fleet, so I'm not sure why this is noteworthy.

And yes, there are definitely very few Renaults in service ATM but you can find some from Belconnen Depot during peaks.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well I watched anytrip for pretty much the whole of Monday in search for Renault's in my area. I was quite surprised to see pretty much every 70-73 and Southlands service with anything from 320-389 with very few from anything else, as I'm use to seeing those services with anything apart from 3's, Iris, Stag and Artics. Just saying that it's been a long time since I've seen so many of that selection of fleet all squished into a small group of services.

Toyota Camry

It has not yet been clarified if the additional services planned for New Year's Eve have been cancelled; with the cancellation of the NYE event in Civic, there is no longer a need for them.

Busnerd

They have not been cancelled, nor have the special events in the city, only the fireworks display has been cancelled.

Barry Drive

Update: the events are now cancelled, but that does not necessarily mean the additional bus services have been cancelled. People will still congregate on the City at midnight with or without any formal festivities.

Barry Drive

"Summer" timetable for 2020/21 now released (including hard copy).

Same concept as last year: 3 weeks of reduced timetables, even more reduced bus services on 25 December and Saturdays to use Sunday timetable

More later.

Sylvan Loves Buses

It's been too long, finally a bus timetable (book) that actually looks nice. I give my stamp of approval to this edition and thank TC for firing whoever it was doing the uninspiring work previously. Now if only they could do this for the main networks too, I don't think people would mind the black & white inners so much if they could have all the routes just in case instead of several annoying books.

Toyota Camry

This year it appears that no additional services have been scheduled at all on December 31st (New Year's Eve), as all public events have been cancelled due to the pandemic; this may be a lucrative night to be driving a ride share vehicle in the ACT, however due to the current uncontrolled border between Canberra and Queanbeyan, it is of extreme importance that you and all of your passengers are wearing a face mask.

Further investigation will take place by myself later today to determine if any Renault PR100.2s are running under the present holiday timetable, or if none will be running until January 11; in any case, this will be the final summer of Renault buses operating.

Sylvan Loves Buses

There are Renault's running this timetable period, however most of which are up in Belconnen, Gungahlin and the City. There is not a single route being allocated in Tuggeranong Valley - I know this as I've been studying my options for my 1000th bus of the year. There is only a few Renault's out to Woden that I've been able to see, and one of them I'm off to get today/tomorrow.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Of course as soon as post that and go on anytrip, a bunch of Renault's pop up on Tuggeranong routes... I wouldn't trust these however, none of them were Renault's last week nor say that they're suppose to be.

Busnerd

Saw several Renault's out this morning running early morning Gungahlin and City routes. It was unknown if any passengers who recently caught rideshare or taxi's from Queanbeyan were on-board and maskless.

Barry Drive

The new GTFS for the Christmas Holiday / School Holiday period has already been released.

There will not be a separate "reduced Christmas timetable" this year: the "COVID" timetable from August will re-commence from Monday 20 December and will continue until the end of School Holidays on 28 January 2022.

The "regular" school term timetable will resume from 31 January.

Sunday / Public Holiday timetable will apply on 27, 28 Dec and 1, 2, 3 Jan. There will be a special Christmas Day timetable which (presumably) will be the same as, or similar to, last year's.

Toyota Camry

The following services should not operate on Christmas Day, and are wasteful; the operation of these services is contributing negatively towards climate change, and provides no benefit to passengers as there will be no passengers carried on these non-residential routes on Christmas Day.

R2 - route beyond Railway Station should not operate; service to Fyshwick not required
R3 - diversion via Brindabella Business Park should not operate
54 - entire route should not operate; service to Majura Park not required
59 - entire route should not operate; passengers may use R6

Sensibly, it has been noted that 56 will terminate at Narrabundah Terminus on Christmas Day; this event may attract a crowd of members from this site to witness a bus at this terminus during daylight hours. I am considering riding a 56 to Narrabundah Terminus myself on Christmas Day; however this is subject to COVID-19 case numbers.

It should be considered operating a Sunday timetable for buses on Christmas Day, as operates for light rail services; this would be in line with the smaller city of "Hobart" in Tasmania, a small nation to the south of Australia, which provides a Sunday bus timetable on this day.

Snorzac

So we should cut routes on Christmas Day but at the same time we contradict that by running a more frequent and extensive service?

triumph

Quote from: Toyota Camry on December 22, 2021, 10:10:00 PM..... this would be in line with the smaller city of "Hobart" in Tasmania, a small nation to the south of Australia, which provides a Sunday bus timetable on this day.

So you are joking, aren't you......?

Busnerd

So residents of Campbell that use the 54 won't need a bus just because it is Christmas day?

So residents of Forrest/Barton (to be fair, none would use the bus anyway) won't need a bus just because it is Christmas day?

Also there are already buses which use Narrabundah terminus in daylight hours.

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on December 22, 2021, 10:10:00 PMIt should be considered operating a Sunday timetable for buses on Christmas Day, as operates for light rail services; this would be in line with the smaller city of "Hobart" in Tasmania, a small nation to the south of Australia, which provides a Sunday bus timetable on this day.

True story here - I bought a house in launceston a few years ago, and when I was at the bank (here in Canberra) getting a bank cheque drawn up to buy this respective house, the girl behind the counter said to me "I've never thought about buying a house in another country".   That statement, and the one above just shows how certain members of the younger generations in Australia are deprived of a good and proper education - in other words, they are just idiots.  It scares me to think as just how stupid some people can be.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Busnerd on December 24, 2021, 01:38:12 AMSo residents of Campbell that use the 54 won't need a bus just because it is Christmas day?
They may walk to route 55, which is closer to most of their homes; in previous networks, route 54 was known as route 40 and ended at Campbell Park, and did not operate on weekends.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on December 07, 2021, 07:34:42 PMThe new GTFS for the Christmas Holiday / School Holiday period has already been released.

There will not be a separate "reduced Christmas timetable" this year: the "COVID" timetable from August will re-commence from Monday 20 December and will continue until the end of School Holidays on 28 January 2022.

The "regular" school term timetable will resume from 31 January.

Sunday / Public Holiday timetable will apply on 27, 28 Dec and 1, 2, 3 Jan. There will be a special Christmas Day timetable which (presumably) will be the same as, or similar to, last year's.
Similar arrangement this year: the holiday timetable commences 19 December and continues until 27 January 2023.

Limited Christmas Day bus timetable will operate. [refer https://www.transport.act.gov.au/getting-around/timetables2/christmas-day ]

Public Holiday timetable will apply 26 & 27 December and 2 January.

Barry Drive

🚨 Late breaking news:

The 904 Fairbairn shuttle will not operate on 28 29 & 30 December.

Bus 400

I wonder if they'll remember to add the 47 or if Whitlam will be forgotten for 6 weeks? 

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 18, 2022, 10:24:41 PMI wonder if they'll remember to add the 47 or if Whitlam will be forgotten for 6 weeks?
It's the same timetable they've been using in School Holidays all year - so no, the 47 won't be left off.

EDIT: seems they did forget it – it was left off the website, but it's definitely running.

Barry Drive

The GTFS for the December / January period has been released. Full school holiday timetable will apply from 18 December until 25 January 2024 - there will (again) not be any reduced timetable between Christmas and New Year.

Since New Years' Eve falls on a Sunday, there will be a special timetable operating: normal Sunday timetable will apply with added "Rapid" routes only operating from 10pm until 1am (excluding R8 which runs until 1130pm). All travel on buses and trams will be free after 5pm.

Transport Canberra announcement: https://www.transport.act.gov.au/news/news-and-events-items/december/new-years

No timetables available yet.

Sylvan Loves Buses

QuotePassengers with a MyWay card should tap on and off to assist with patronage data.

Lol, f*** that.