11% Fare Increase from July

Started by Buzz Killington, May 05, 2009, 06:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Could ACTION have better communicated the fare increase?

Yes
7 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Buzz Killington

Source: WIN News

(More to follow)

CanberraTransport

ACTION is set to increase ticketing prices by 11 per cent.

The move is outlined in the ACT Budget 2009-10, however, details of the affected bus fares have not yet been released.

If affected, it would see an increase on one-way Adult fares from $3 to approximately $3.30, and the concession equivalent climb from $1.50 to $1.65.

Details of the new fares are expected within weeks and will be implemented in July.

lukeo25

won't it be easier to make concession fare $1.70 insted of a $1.65

Buzz Killington

that seems like the logical option

Irisbus Rider

While I found massive outrage in the last fare increase, I think this fare increase is simply expected, as ACTION are still considerably cheaper than the rest of the nation. With inflation factored in, and everything else, it seems acceptable. 11% is just a big scary number for the media to blow out of proportion IMO.

Bus 400

Didn't the last time ACTION were told by some group that gave them permission to raise fares, that they could be increased even more if services were improved?

Barry Drive

The article in The Canberra Times mentioned an adult fare of $3.80, an increase of $1.25 for a concession Faresaver 10 (to $12.50) and a $4 increase in the School Term ticket (to $60). So there must be some detail released somewhere.

I noticed this in the budget papers
QuoteCyclists using bicycle racks on buses will now be required to pay the appropriate fare.

Bus 400

I had someone ask the bus driver if the pre-paid tickets bought before the fare increase will still be valid once the price rises. I am quite sure that this would be the case.

lukeo25

i think they would be the case, i had a faresaver 10 during the last fare increase and it was still useable after it

Busnerd

Barry Drive

It has always worked this way. Back when I caught buses instead of driving them, I would buy 2 or 3 monthly tickets prior to the fare increase.

Bus 400

Especially as some of the tickets were made in 2006 & when the fares go up, the ticket sellers just change the price for that code on their computer.

So we all need to buy up on whatever bus ticket that you use.

Barry Drive

Still no official announcement from ACTION or ACT government, but details of the new fares have been released to drivers. Since there was nothing to say "keep this to yourself", here are the new fares effective 1 July 2009.

Single trip   Daily         Off-peak Daily  Faresaver 10  Weekly         Monthly      School Term
Adult3.807.404.5024.5027.0089.00
Concession1.903.701.60 *12.2513.5044.50
School Student   9.0060.00

* - Students are not eligible to use Pensioner off-peak

One interesting thing about these fares is that the daily ticket will now cost less than two single-trip tickets.

Irisbus Rider

Mofos! That's a damn big increase. To be expected I suppose.....
Thanks for the info there.

Busnerd

That's actually not too bad!

The fares haven't gone up in years, and the $3.80 and $1.90 is a decent fare. In sydney that's the same as a 3 -5 section fare which is basically the same as a standard length fare.

Plus the monthlies only went up $7, still 50% cheaper than a month of travel in Sydney

Buzz Killington

they may as well just round up those single trip fares to $2.00 and $4.00...

Irisbus Rider

Pleased to see that it now states that Tertiary students are now required to pay concession fares.
I hope this means they (tertiary students) will be unable to use a School Term ticket and the School Faresaver 10. Basically every Uni stiudent I have seen has been in possession of one of these, it's simply rorting the system.

Sir Pompously

Probably still won't stop them! I asked about it when I was at CIT and was told I couldonly use a concession ticket, then I was told by someone else that they were told they could use a student ticket. This atleast puts it into writing that they are only eligible for a Concession Fare.

Bus 400

But then again who is going to enforce that they have to use concession fares?

Irisbus Rider

Drivers, perhaps.

Yes, I too was educated (By Todd, lol) after thinking I could use a School ticket.

Bus 400

Quote from: Breakdown Van Rider on May 27, 2009, 10:29:31 AM
Drivers, perhaps.

However, I have been told that the rule is "it isn't worth fighting a passenger over fares." But I was also told that they haven't been allowed to use School tickets once they've completed Year 12. But as stated before, it is now in writing

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on May 27, 2009, 11:25:29 AM
However, I have been told that the rule is "it isn't worth fighting a passenger over fares."
Rule? RULE?
For some, maybe.....

Lockie

Quote from: Breakdown Van Rider on May 26, 2009, 11:36:37 PM
I hope this means they (tertiary students) will be unable to use a School Term ticket and the School Faresaver 10. Basically every Uni student I have seen has been in possession of one of these, it's simply rorting the system.

The words 'Student' and 'School' go quite nicely together. A University is a school, and on that basis, I find this to be a disgusting money grab on behalf of the government, aimed at students, many of whom struggle to support themselves.

Not wanting to start an argument, I just think this thread needed a little more perspective. It's easy to take a cheap jab at an entire class of individuals, but take a step back and think, is charging students for catching Canberra's only means of public transport really the best way to tackle a budget deficit?

and yes.. I do study at the ANU. I am not one of those who struggle, but know of many who do.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22208668-29277,00.html
http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20090515103745966
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2005/06/23/1399036.htm

Buzz Killington

I agree with you Locki. Shameless cash grab.

The Love Guru

Students are still entitled to a concession fare. ACTION is not 'cash grabbing', just clarifying the rules. On a side note, how come the people that subsidise the system (ie full time tax payers) are the ones who pay full fare, whilst those who contribute very little get the concession fare??? Should be the other way round! **prepares for hail of gunfire**

Lockie

Mainly because students who are attending university now will be the major contributors to countries/territories funding in the future. Many students also work (some even full time) and pay tax.

The government should use these hard times as a means to promote and encourage mass public transport. I find our bus system to be reasonable good, despite what many say. Should money be the problem, perhaps reallocate some 'carbon emissions' funding into our bus system, which as we all know would greatly help in decreasing CO2 emissions.

As for welfare as a broad subject, it is always interesting to discuss. While I would love to simply ship the guy in civic asking for bus money off to the military, many of these people need serious help (mental illness etc.). Australia's current strategy of handing over Centerlink payments will not help them to get back on track.

Ok /rant  ;)

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, you do pose a good point there, but the way I see it (Also from the point of view as a student of a tertiary institution), school students ahould pay less than Tertiary students, as usually, they lack employment, whereas most Tertiary students have a job. I do also recognise that Tertiary students have expenses, but why should a 21 y/o pay the same as a 6 y/o.
Nowhere else in the Country (as far as I'm aware) allows Tertiary students to pay the same fare as a school student.

Busnerd

Its just bringing into line what the rest of the country does.

They must pay concession fares, its only like a $4 difference for a ten ride, not worth bitching about. The point is, they CHOSE to go to uni, no one made them, where as school is a compulsary thing and parents usually fund travel for their kids, by the time you are in uni you should have your own job or income.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on May 26, 2009, 11:36:37 PM
Pleased to see that it now states that Tertiary students are now required to pay concession fares.
I hope this means they (tertiary students) will be unable to use a School Term ticket and the School Faresaver 10.
About bloody time! Hopefully they will program the Wayfarer to reject School Faresaver tickets during school holidays.

Quote from: Locki on May 27, 2009, 09:55:00 PM
Mainly because students who are attending university now will be the major contributors to countries/territories funding in the future. Many students also work (some even full time) and pay tax.
To be eligible for the school (or concession) fare, you have to be at Uni / CIT (etc) as a full time student. Pardon my ignorance but how can you work full time and also attend Uni / CIT full time?

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Martin on May 28, 2009, 11:26:43 AM
Pardon my ignorance but how can you work full time and also attend Uni / CIT full time?

I know people who do it. Uni during the day, work at night.

Bus 400

In today's Canberra Times, ACTION General Manager says that one way/transfer tickets have had the biggest price rise to encourage people to pre pay for their tickets. That way the buses can keep on time, which makes sense as a daily will cost less then 2 one way tickets, so afternoon peak trips will be sped up.

Irisbus Rider

Good to hear someone's been thinking about it.
In morning peak, when everyone buys their ticket, they get on at different stops, spreading it out, but in evening peak, everyone more or less gets on at an Interchange, and, gosh, it's slow to board.

It's the first time I've said it in a long time, but, 'Good work ACTION'.

Buzz Killington

They need to make the intertowns pre-pay only.

Irisbus Rider

Oh, definately! Although, that would require ticket sellers at the Interchanges, as seen in Brisbane. Works very well there.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 29, 2009, 05:07:18 PMThey need to make the intertowns pre-pay only.
Try this exercise: time how long it takes to print out a paper ticket (assuming passenger has correct change) vs the time it takes to validate a ticket.

But having said that, I think ACTION should include a single-trip transfer ticket in the range of tickets able to be bought from ticket agents.

Bus 400

It is going to be funny when the new fares start. As most changes to routes or fares occur on a Monday. Where as these new fares come into effect mid week on a Wednesday.

Buzz Killington

Barry Drive

Some buses now have the new fare stickers.

Bus 400

I've been told that all the Belconnen buses with bike racks will be the first to go tomorrow morning. Plus while most drivers will give leeway for the first 3 days of the price rise, they'll make cyclists pay the $1.90 or $3.80.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 30, 2009, 08:36:07 PM
I've been told that all the Belconnen buses with bike racks will be the first to go tomorrow morning. Plus while most drivers will give leeway for the first 3 days of the price rise, they'll make cyclists pay the $1.90 or $3.80.
The buses with bike racks will be allocated as they have been for the past month, to the shifts with 'CNG bus' stamped on it.

Bus 400

All I know is that drivers can't wait to make cyclists pay for riding the bus.

Irisbus Rider

Yes, but the Yard dog in the morning will allocate buses no differently. Afternoons, different story, drivers will probably pick a bus with a bike rack just for the novelty.

xman0444

Yeah. it will be funny when a cyclist comes in and expects to get a free ride, only realizing they must then pay.

Irisbus Rider

It has happened a few times, and yeah, it is pretty funny!

It's amazing, after all this time, some still don't know about the fare increase!

Bus 400

I have noticed a lot less bike racks in use since the price rise.

Word is that the bike racks are coming off in the next little while.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on July 26, 2009, 07:05:24 PMWord is that the bike racks are coming off in the next little while.
And what word would this be? Unsubstantiated rumours? Something overheard at City West layover from drivers speaking amongst eachother?

If the bike rack patronage continues to decline, perhaps, they will be removed, but not sure about that, the Greens might not stand for that.

Bus 400

It has to do with safety concerns.

I haven't been at City West for quite a while.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on July 26, 2009, 07:14:45 PM
It has to do with safety concerns.
Won't dispute that, I know a certain driver on this board has a problem with them, as it breaches many many rules, as well as common sense.

Stepping out in front of the bus has always been against the rules, yet, cyclists do this toput their bikes on the buses? It's stupidity.

Bus 400

I think it is all right to put bikes on/off the racks at Interchanges/bus stations. But not on Athllon Drive when some cyclists get quite close to stepping in front of cars taking their bike off & their is always the risk they'll fall backwards into the path of a car.

xman0444

Bike racks have their pluses and minuses. But I reckon the should be shelved, for the time being, unless they can get a new system for them.